Rising Prices

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Econ, May 3, 2021.

1. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

There was a recent article that Costco elected to not raise the price of Kirkland paper towels. Instead they decreased the amount of towels per package by 14%. Effectively, this is price inflation.

The Federal Govt has spent 5 trillion dollars over the last 14 months "fighting" the hysteria driven recession. The current administration is spending 2.25 trillion, March, and proposing 1.8 trillion,May.

The US GDP was projected at 21.4 trillion at the end of April with a Federal debt to GDP ratio of 107.6%.

Please do not let political arguing enter this thread. Do you PERCEIVE an increase in general prices?

Thanks

2. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Rik Peery likes this.
  3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

gas is edging up a bit - but the housing market is bonkers.

Rik Peery and Jason0405 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...substantial-inflation-and-raising-prices.html
    Inflation is coming, it will trickle down to everything. Especially since they killed the pipelines. Oil will take up the spots that food and materials did on freight trains, then that stuff will be transported by more expensive truck shipping. So, everything will go up. Right now the shortages caused by corona are hitting the industrys. So lack of shipping containers, and some parts because buisness were shut down. Everything will go up 5 to 10 percent in a year or two. There announcing it now.

Goforit and Fish N Farm like this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I think it is going to be a rough road. Supply chain problems are still an issue, and multiple industries lost a bunch of workers due to layoffs and furloughs. Many had to find work in other industries, and may not be coming back to where they were - construction, trucking, etc. With India self destructing right now there will be other issues - many companies use India for offshore work such as data entry and processing. This will affect many companies such as insurance, tech and others. Should mutated pathogens develop and hit other countries like China, then expect significant disruptions again in goods and materials.

The good news is that the current vaccines appear to offer some resistance to mutated strains, and due to the mRNA aspects of it they can easily be tweaked for use against these updated versions. Unfortunately it will be some time still before the US is properly vaccinated, and many parts of the world will be lagging behind I fear.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Things are bad all over. Prices are raising for everything. A lot of mom/pop shops have closed near me. Gas prices have raised, shipments delayed, lack of regular staff and parts slowed manufacturing up, which spreads to other industries. Causing prices to raise because industries still have to pay staff even when they can’t get as many sales in due to lack of parts coming in etc. I don’t see things improving for quite awhile myself, and expect things to get worse before better. My coworkers husband was in the tourist industry and has been out of work for over a year and it’s not looking good. Companies are not hiring because things are so unsettled. Things are crazy and some are abusing the situation all for money. It’s sad and price gouging is not helping people any, but some of what we are seeing is legitimate business practice just to stay afloat. Think of it like a big circle if something slows up it’s felt throughout the whole. Much like traffic, if one car is slow everyone is going slow.

Fish N Farm likes this.
  7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

You open with "hysteria-driven recession" and then ask that we not take this political?

Verde, 1380ken, firepit and 4 others like this.
  8. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

COVID 19 is an excuse for companies to cut help and service then have something to blame it on.

Ductape likes this.
  9. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Sorry, couldnt help myself >GG?

10. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who participated. The purpose was to see what the average person thought after information has gone thru the filter of mass media. It doesnt matter what the real information is it is how the general public perceives it that counts.

11. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

My wife mentioned the other day that she thought the price of groceries is going up. If I get bored at work one day, I might pull data from the bank account and throw it into a graph, but that is her perception.

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Manufactured steel products such as welded wire used in concrete are up 40% if you can find it. Semiconductors? Good luck with those. $500.00 graphics cards are being scalped on Ebay for $2500.00. Shortages of paint and other polymer or silicone based stuff. Prices almost doubling.

A local regional trucking company needs 200 CDL drivers, $10,000.00 sign on bonus, $30.00 per hour, Home every night, full health coverage for your entire family with $0 deductible, and no takers.

That is what happens when they give away free money with no requirement to even be searching for work. The United States of Entitlement. We're working on raising our 2nd generation of entitled wussies brought to you mostly by social media and liberal whackjobs. The ones who will become adults over the next few years are going to be real doosies. I digress.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  13. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

Things like this are what makes life interesting. As the Chinese saying goes "may you live in interesting times". I've been around to see a President assassinated, students killed on campus for protesting an unpopular war, gasoline shortages, high inflation, children being gunned down in schools, planes flying into twin towers, the US capitol being stormed by insurrectionist, etc. Our parents and grandparents suffered through World Wars and the Great Depression. Life has never been easy. Every generation has had and will continue to have its challenges. Like it or not that's the deal. When you think about the past our current state of affairs could be a lot worse. Our country has always been able to rally and overcome conflict together. Although, with all the tribalism and left vs right along with the incendiary rhetoric so prevalent in the media today I am not so sure we have the resolve to do that anymore.
    I only hope future generations can learn from the past to help them through their interesting times.

davekro and Fish N Farm like this.
  14. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The capital was not stormed by insurrectionist.

15. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

Poor choice of words on my part. They were just some concerned citizens unhappy about the results of an election.

kcsa75 likes this.
  16. tombiasi

You can believe that if you like.

xxxapache likes this.
  17. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

No, I don't believe it. I purposely understated it. I am not sure what the end game was in that whole ordeal. I wasn't there and do not subscribe to social media sites that gave me any inside information. I am just an "old guy" who sees the world differently. Perhaps you can set me straight to help me understand the situation better.

18. tombiasi

Maybe, maybe not, but not here.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  19. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

Well that settles it. Happy camping.

hayyward likes this.
  20. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Thank you for ‘not here’. Appreciated.