Rockahock Campground.........

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by epplebee, Jun 24, 2012.

1. epplebee

epplebee New Member

When we bought our PUP, we were given a free stay at Rockahock Campground. We are wondering if anyone has been here before and what there review is? We have 5 kids so keeping them entertained is a priority........

2. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

We haven't been there but have friends that go all the time. Matter of fact, they invited us to go with them at the end of July. Thinking about taking them up on it. They just love it there. They say nothing but good things about the place. It's my understanding this place has alot of music festivals. If we go, I'll give you my personal opinion. :)

Campit

3. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

it is mostly a seasonal campground with lots of golf carts and my experince a lot of drunks. I personally try to stay away from campgrounds with alot of seasonal site and head to state parks or federal parks. Chippokes Plantation State Park in Surry is nice they have a pool, a farming muesum, can feed animals, nice hiking trails, and the plantation house you can tour. We got down in the fall all the time.

4. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Sounds like a campground in Lawerence, Kansas or a CG where the KU Jayhawk fans like to go. Sorry I couldn't resist. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

For those who don't know, KU's cheer is "Rock Chalk Jayhawk."

5. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Come to think of it, our friends are Va. Tech fans. Maybe this is why they like the campground so much! And I guess we won't be seeing hvac1877 there anytime soon. :)

Campit

6. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

no you wont find me there its not my kind of camping. They have some good fishing there on the Chick but other wise i wont be camping there i like my peace and quiet when i camp and a ranger there to keep people in line. [LOL]

7. gixer

gixer New Member

No shade what so ever. Seasonal are nice sites. Every one seems to have 2+ golf carts. They do concerts there. The look of the place is unorganized and run down. I checked it out ahead of time a couple of weeks ago. There is a reason there are no site pictures on the web site.

8. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Update: Didn't take them up on their offer, but went to The Great Smokey Mountains instead. The Smokies were nice but I like the Blue Ridge Mountains the best. Could it be 'cause I'm a Virginian? ....probably. [;)]

Campit

9. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

We camped at Rockahock with friends this past weekend. They had a concrete patio site with fire pit. It was nice. We had a grassy, level site with fire pit and partial shade. We were pleased, especially considering our very last-minute reservation.

When we called, we were asked if we wanted to be near the children's activities and our desired proximity to the bathhouse. When we arrived, a staff member took us to our site. He even moved the picnic table for us.

Pros:
    • Friendly, helpful staff
    • Clean bathhouse
    • Clean pool (swim at own risk, no lifeguard)
    • Lots of things for kids - activities, playground, some kind of a giant pillow trampoline, basketball court
    • Camp store
    • On-site restaurant
    • Clubhouse with air hockey table
    • Kayak and paddle boat rental
    • Full hookups (I didn't see the dump station, but was told there was one somewhere)
    • Bait, tackle, fishing licenses
    • facilities for groups (think family reunions)
    • Military discount
    • Good Sam discount

Cons:
    • Sites are close - We had the only pop-up. There were some hybrids. We did not have immediate neighbors, but I could see where noise and/or the feeling or privacy could be an issue with pop ups or hybrids, particularly if there was an event happening. Our friends, who love the campground, have said that quiet hours are usually respected.
    • Most sites are sunny. The sites with the most shade appeared to be #402 - 407.
    • Husband was not impressed with the electrical pillars (our site did not have an electrical cover or circuit breaker and the water was on the same pillar)
    • Train noise could be an issue
    • The unisex, individual showers, which were separate from the air-conditioned toilets, though clean, did not have a lot of air circulation
    • Golf cart usage (though we almost wished we had one when carrying food to our friends' campsite).
    • Seasonal lots, annual lots, and a residential section make the campground seem geared toward longer-term campers. However, this did not affect the friendliness of the staff and their concern for our stay and our day-visitors who joined us for an evening.
    Bottom line: I'd stay there again, but not on an event weekend. It's not an outstanding park, but certainly acceptable and the staff is one of the friendliest I've encountered. Those campers used to state parks and boondocking would probably not like the crowded campground.