Rockwood 2021 HW296 or HW277 height

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Sensei, Feb 4, 2021.

Will it fit height?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sensei

Sensei New Member

Hi
    About to put a deposit on a 2021 HW296, or HW277, by Rockwood. I’m concerned about height for my garage. I have 82”, with a 1” lip on my garage floor (MAY have another 1” with the rubber seals). I’m pushing my limits for the HW296 with the AC on top. Does anyone have this model for 2021? It’s probably similar to a few previous years too, I assume. It’s gonna be close, but assume I could let out air in the tires, what would that give me, 2” or 3” extra?

Length is also close for the HW296, but it really butts up against a concrete safety post for my water heater at 256” long or so, so I could slightly angle if needed and a spare tire shouldn’t be an issue as it’ll likely go around the post. The HW277 is no problem for length fit.

Also not entirely opposed to removing the AC. How hard is that? Not sure the dealer is able to order in time without an AC, or if they’ll take $1000 off to remove it themselves (doubtful). Not a big concern in the PNW. Really more interested in the heater.

Please help! Thanks!

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I don't know about current practices, but they USED to ship popups without AC and it was added by the dealer. Worth checking out if that is still the case!

If I had AC, I'd replace it with a fantastic fan. They're pretty nice.

3. jonkquil

jonkquil Well-Known Member

I have a Flagstaff HW27KS with the roof AC. Do you want me to measure to the top of the AC, to give you an exact height, or do you now this already? Mine fits nicely inside my garage, I can measure my garage door too if that helps so you can compare.
    I haven't voted yet, I'll measure up in the morning then vote then.

4. Sensei

Sensei New Member

If you have the time to measure, sure! It looks like website specs the HW27KS is 82" H closed. The HW296 shows as 81". I'd be interested in knowing how accurate that is, since my discrepancy is like 1" to fit the HW296!
    Also, yes, if you can measure your garage opening height, for kicks, it might give me an idea.
    As mentioned, mine is about 82", but then there's a 1" lip to keep water out, and I'm not sure how that will affect the angle of the camper going in...
    Thanks!

5. Sensei

Sensei New Member

Thanks. I haven't confirmed with the dealer the options of that. He did mention some people replace with the fantastic fan. For my time frame, and the seeming backlog from everyone picking up camping during Covid times, I may not be able to order one without the AC.

6. jonkquil

okay, I'll measure in the morning

7. Annunzi

Annunzi Active Member

I have a 2020 HW277 with the low profile A/C unit. For that year I believe the A/C unit comes as part of the standard package, but in addition to A/C, it also includes a separate fantastic fan.

My garage door opening is 6'10", or 82", and the trailer just clears when backing in. I also have to back up, uphill, so I lose an inch or two of clearance because of the grade of the driveway.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  8. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

I remember way back when we bought our 2005 Niagara, we decided against looking at the Forest River HWs as it was too close for comfort with A/C. I was concerned enough with the Niagara that I had them swap out the regular A/C with a low profile unit.

Is there anyway they will let you hook up and do a test run - or do you have to order sight-unseen? This was not an option for us as the dealers were all several hours away. . . . .

9. jonkquil

Here is my measurements for my 2018 HW27KS

from the ground to top of roof = 69"
    from bottom to top of AC unit = 9"
    total height = 78"

my garage door from the bottom to the rubber'ish weather strip is 94"
    20210205_081929_resized.jpg 20210205_081802.jpg 20210205_081728.jpg

Sensei and jmkay1 like this.
  10. Sensei

Sensei New Member

THANK YOU! It's interesting that the 2021 HW27KS is 3" taller at 82".. I'm so torn!

I want the HW296, but I am very nervous it won't fit. The dealer measured it too for me today and it is 81". I could let air out of the tires and that may give me an inch or two that I need though. That's my worst case, which isn't a great plan. Actually, worst case is have them take off the AC (or me), and replace with a fan. I don't expect to us the AC much in the PNW, but if we go elsewhere we may.
    The HW277 is 79", and is probably identical to your HW27KS. I may just go with that.

@threebeachboys - I will ask if I can test run, but the liability may be too much for them (45 min drive). Plus, it'd be on order for May, and I need it for June :-\

@Annunzi - Thanks for the info. My driveway is fairly flat with a slight off camber tilt, but I do have that 1" lip too :-\

threebeachboys likes this.
  11. Annunzi

Annunzi Active Member

Interesting, I didn't know the hw296 was 2" taller than the hw277. We only have about 1" clearance, so the hw296 wouldn't fit in my situation. For what it's worth, we love the layout of the hw277, plus you can load the fridge while the top is down, can't do that in the hw296.

12. Sensei

Sensei New Member

Yeah the 296 gives me concern for fit. But.. You said it came with a fantastic fan - do you mean installed in the corner alongside the AC or is it one you would swap out the AC with the fantastic fan?

13. jonkquil

That's the reason I went with the HW27KS, access to the fridge with the top down. I like to be able to get the fridge plugged in and cooled 2 days prior, then have it stocked up with food before I leave, so it's all ready to go on arrival of the campground. Our friends who camp with us and can't access their fridge, can't use it until at least 6-8 hours after arrival

Annunzi likes this.
  14. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

How do you access it? It is actually externally reachable, or do you just open the door and wiggle through the “hallway”?

15. Annunzi

Annunzi Active Member

The fan is completely separate from the ac unit. The fan is in the corner above the counter on the queen bed side.

It's nice for some white noise while sleeping if you have noisy neighbors or to drown out noise in the bathroom :)

Attached Files:

16. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I put in a Maxxair on my Arcadia. Same general idea, but comes with the rain cover

17. Sensei

Sensei New Member

Crikey! Put a deposit on the HW277.
    They're checking to see if they can order the HW296 without the AC. I'm also going to tape out the actual measurements of the HW296 to see about length. But pretty happy with the 277, so probably a waste of time!

Annunzi likes this.
  18. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

I too was torn between the hw296 and the hw277. Dual axle tows nicer and gives more ccc for the stuff. But, Sits a smidge taller. My final decision was the 277 outside sink/stove (too many issues with family wanting to eat asap) and that the fridge was accessible while top down. The couch would be nice, but you are stepping on it every time to use the bed.

19. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

The 277 fridge is straight inside the door. Sorta low ceiling, but you are not crawling through the pup. It is Not accessible from the outside.

20. Sensei

Sensei New Member

did you buy the hw277 then?
    I actually wasn’t interested in the outdoor sink part, but I’ll take it now. Ha.