Rockwood 2021 HW296 or HW277 height

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Sensei, Feb 4, 2021.

Will it fit height?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

I did get a 277, yes. A NTU 2015. I really liked the idea of the 2019 change to the stairs/travel door, but then saw they changed the hardwall toilet flip up. Rented many smaller pups before deciding to get it with all the things I thought I want. Now I need for the snow to stop and I can do some driveway camping testing, and to see if my list of features was right. I do miss being able to see out my rear view, but thats no different than a full on TT or Hybrid (which was considered).

2. jonkquil

jonkquil Well-Known Member

I'm just over 5ft, so I don't have to do much wiggling!! Truth be told, I've been known to sit in there with my morning coffee!
    20210208_152632.jpg

John Flores, Annunzi and Sensei like this.
  3. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Interesting. With my Arcadia, the fridge is opposite the slide out, so its a bit of a twist to get there, even though it is technically possible

4. Sensei

Sensei New Member

Thanks for the inside pic, they don't really post those on the RV sites, so it's good to know how much indoor storage space I may have too. That is totally a spot I want to go hide alone with coffee, haha.

Eric Webber likes this.
  5. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

There is more open floor space between the microwave and the shoilet, as well as on the slide out table sofa.

6. jonkquil

I have just ordered the step/door from Forest River and plan on adding it to mine. I have the fold out double step at the moment, it sits 8" above the ground and I have already bottomed out just backing into my driveway. It's also really 'bouncy' and the whole PU rocks when someone goes in or out. I'm excited and nervous for my new door, as I hope it's an easy install.

7. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I almost wonder if it could be retrofitted onto a Fleetwood....

8. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

I have mixed thoughts on the design. I really want to like the idea of it, but worry that I would always have to clear another 15” in front of the door for camp driveway. How much was the part, if I may ask??

i too have already banged the under step and cringed. Thankfully no damage.

9. jonkquil

They quoted the parts needed was just shy of $600, but they gave me a discount so I'm at $360 at the mo. They don't quote for shipping but I've heard it could be a minimum of $200. They will have my part on the 18th or so, so will get a better idea on exactly how much then.

LilRed likes this.
  10. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

Once you get a firm measurement and if it is close, You could consider letting air out of the tires. Yep a PIA to air the tires up before trip but, you need to check them anyway. You can even buy a kit for airing down tires from an off road shop. I have to take the spare and the spare mount off of mine to close the door. I use a clip on tire chuck and run the air thru a regulator and walk away and do other things.

11. jonkquil

Thought I'd update this. The steps and shipping came to $360 ($320 steps + $40 shipping) which was way cheaper than the quote they gave me. Not sure if they gave me some sort of discount, as it ended up taking 2 months to get to me but I am super happy with the new steps. Every time we have camped since, at least twice I hear DH mumble 'these steps are so much better' [:D]

12. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Curious to know how many modifications you had to make? what parts you needed, maybe some pics ;) I have a 2018 HW276 and I really like those steps as well and would be interested in making such a conversion.

13. jonkquil

Hi, overall it was relatively easy, a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. To start with, I emailed Forest River gave them my VIN number & told them what I wanted to do. They told me what parts I needed and how much they would be. My main concern at the beginning was that it wouldn't quite fit, due to front wall flexing going on when the king bed is in use, I was worried my door frame could be out. But after checking & measuring I felt comfortable so ordered the parts.
    There were 3 parts to the new step/door, no 1 - the door/step, no 2 - the plastic bottom door piece, no 3 - the top travel panel
    We removed the travel door and the travel door hinges. Using the plastic door piece (no. 2) as a guide you drill 5 holes into the frame below the door frame/threshold. The hardest part was lining it all up, temporary holding the door in place, to check, then double check position before we drilled the holes. Once the holes are drilled, the door/step (no .1) along with the plastic bottom door piece (no.2) gets bolted to the frame.
    For the top travel panel to fit, you also need to drill two holes either side of the door frame, for it to bolt into place for travel. Again, the hardest part to this was lining it all up so it was level, fit nice with the roof fully down and making sure it can swing out enough to slot into the step/door. The install was not difficult at all but the measuring and lining everything up took sometime.
    I've attached a pic during install, it's not a great pic as I was mainly taking a pic of my cat [LOL] but if you look in DH hand, he is holding the plastic door piece. You can also see where the blue masking tape is, that is where you drill the 5 holes.
    It's the best mod I have done to my p-up, I can't believe the difference it's made by having the first step at the door threshold, and how solid it feels when going in & out. Let me know if you would like any more pics or close ups, I'd be happy to share. 20210501_155513.jpg 20210501_155513.jpg

Attached Files:

14. jonkquil

This is how the top travel panel bolts into place.

Attached Files:

15. jonkquil

Here are the part numbers & price at the time, I'm sure the price has changed now tho.

Attached Files:

16. popup-flyer

Awesome info, I think I will inquire on that for mine! One of the most useful mods. No more swinging travel door and what to do with it when at camp and super sturdy steps.

17. popup-flyer

I talked to Forest River Rep and was told that those parts are not for my camper.... I responded that it was a "mod" but they seem hesitant to let me make that change.

Back on topic for the OP... YES if your garage entry is tall enough you can get a HW in your garage. Hidden behind that long box is the low profile Mach 8 AC unit. It clears the door with about 3 inches to spare and as you can see its in a garage. That was not long after getting it. Things are much more tidy now.
    InGarage.jpg