Rockwood 2040 is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Rusty Kettle Barbecue, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Rusty Kettle Barbecue

Rusty Kettle Barbecue New Member

I have a Rockwood 2040 that was my parents before mine. I went with my family as a kid camping. So yeah kind of an emotional attachment to this one. So I need honest feedback.
    So the lift system is an old chain lift of some sort. Pretty much told by even guys that know this type of system good luck finding parts. So I was thinking of using a C&R universal manual arm lift for a replacement lift. Just trash the chain lift. Anyone ever use the C&R manual lift or ordered anything from them? Are they a legit company? Does the lift work good?
    Also the roof has rot on the sides where the lift arms are attached. The floor is solid everywhere you would walk but its rotting under the old lift. Seems to be in all the corners of the camper.
    So I was thinking of pulling up the floor and putting better plywood in. Also could i get away with ripping out the rotten corners and putting new wood in over the good wood to reinforce the roof and then install the new lift system?
    Seems a shame to turn it into a utility trailer.
    Would it be cheaper to trash the camper and buy a newer one? My wife has no attachment to it and doesn't care.
    From a stand point of cost which do you think would cost less? A restoration to functional and useable or replacing it? Thanks for your input.
    I don't mind the work but If its cheaper to replace it then to fix it that might be the way to go.
    So is it worth the effort?

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I'm surprised nobody has replied to this. Are you still looking for feedback or have you made your decision?

The text description is fine but it's pretty tough to make any recommendations without the year and some good photos of the areas you're concerned about.