Rockwood Conservation Area - GRCA

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by bmcilravey, May 28, 2013.

1. bmcilravey

bmcilravey Lovin' the pup!

Well, our first pup outing was at Rockwood Conservation Area, not far from us in Rockwood Ontario just outside of Guelph. We had been here many times before on day trips as the park has some beautiful trails and scenery. The rock formations and water settings are quite nice.

Having been at the campground before, we knew the serviced areas were quite sparse and mostly filled with larger trailers and a few pups for those that need service. We opted for what is known as the lower loop in Cedar Valley. This area is nicely wooded but is fairly small, maybe 10-12 campsites with most beog too small for a pup. The site we were on -189 - was perfect. Is a huge site and actually has drive through access:

http://www.grcacamping.ca/en/campsite.cgi?&p=246&g=751&s=189

There was plenty of room for the pup, close to water tap ( like real close). The site had three picnic tables on it (all did) which was nice. Noise was minimal even though the campground loop is small however this area does back right on to a road which was more noisy during the day. It has fairly new shower and toilet facilities just outside the loop..less than 2 minute walk.

Also this quaint park being nicely nestled has some real close amenities. Right outside the gate is a gas station with a good coffe place. Directly beside that is a hardware store with a great supply of camping needs. I whipped over and bought a large size camp grate and some nice dry firewood (which was cheaper and larger bags than at park). So for our first trip, it was close, easy and convenient. Kids had a great time exploring caves, fishing and the everyday camping stuff (fire pit, bocce ball!).

It's not a Provincial Park size, but has some natural beauty to it and for being less than 45 min away we would hit it again for sure.

2. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

BigMac,
    I grew up in Kitchener but never camped at Rockwood or Elora but when we return to visit friends and relatives I wouldn't mind taking advantage of some GRCA campgrounds. Do you have any recommendations for sites at Elora? or other sites at Rockwood if 189 is booked?

3. bmcilravey

bmcilravey Lovin' the pup!

Hey custom.

I have never camped at Elora..ony day trips to tube down the gorge.

For Rockwood, only 189 or 188 are big enough for a larger pup (10-12). There was an 8 ft across from us on 175. All the sites on the lower loop on the outside back on to the river which is really really nice, but again, wont fit a large pup. So it would depend on the size of your pup. Remember, these sites are non serviced. If you need service, those sites are all up top and have little to no trees. Is like an RV parking lot for the most part. Some like that, but its not our thing. We went the whole weekend on battery and propane with heavy use.

It's a fun park for a weekend. Highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any questions or if you are heading there send me a note and I can describe some of the sites on the lower loop specifically as you are looking, but try for 189.

4. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Thanks a bunch BigMac! Will do.

5. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I've camped at 17 a few times. I think 44/45/46 are nice sites too. They are serviced, and close to the washroom/showers, but not in the most crowded areas.