Rockwood Freedom new cable and new winch installation - with pics!

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by backyarddad, Nov 1, 2015.

1. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Okay - after posting last week about the issues with the lift system I had, I ordered a new cable, and new manual winch for the pop-up. My power winch went out a year ago, and it is going to cost around $300 to replace it, money I do not want to spend on it. The new cable and manual winch was $76.00 from Goshen Stamping.

Surprisingly, the lift system is designed very well and it was very easy to place the cable, it was easier than I thought it would be.

First - I removed the old winch, which was easy, the nuts and bolts came off easy, and removing the power cables from the battery was simple.

[​IMG]

Bolts holding the winch on - remove these to remove the winch.

[​IMG]

Old winch removed.

[​IMG]

New cable and winch system

[​IMG]

Next, the tie bar needs to be removed, this is held on by 2 self -tapping screws, this allows you to pull the cable out if it is broken.

[​IMG]

Tie bar removed

[​IMG]

Also, need to do the rear tie bar. Removing the rear tie bar is where it allows you to replace the cable completely.

[​IMG]

Next, the screws on the rear left and right outside of the camper need to be removed, this will allow you to remove the spring tubes

[​IMG]

Now, the spring tubes can be removed. These take work to get out, as they appear to be stuck, but pull in towards the middle of the camper, from underneath, and down, and you will get them removed.

[​IMG]

Here the tubes are removed, there are 2 screws that hold the front of the tubes on the master tube, these are removed, and then you can easily remove the spring tubes. Also this is a good time to check the springs.

[​IMG]

Here is the old cable towards the front of the camper, I was able to pull the cable out easily from here since it was snapped. There is a push plate that is behind this crimped part, it will also come out when you pull the cable out. Look for it and make sure it comes out.

[​IMG]

The pusher plate.

[​IMG]

Now I have placed the new cable end and new springs together, and pushed the entire unit into the top of the master tube, it gets pushed all the way to the other side, where the front end tie bar is located.

[​IMG]

The entire unit being pushed into the master tube. The springs stay in the spring tubes, however can be easily replaced if needed. Try to avoid any dirt getting on the springs when placed back in.

Some of you commented on lubing the lift tubes on the system. The recommended lube is a liquid lubricant, this is because it will also run down the lift bars and into the spring tubes. These springs will can also be lubricated by adding grease to the master tube.

[​IMG]

The new cable coming out the other end of the master tube, after being pushed in from the backside.

This cable does not stick out of the master tube, it was just to show that it comes to the end of the tube. I cleaned the grass off the end and replaced the tie bar towards the end of the install after the new cable end came through on the bottom side of the master tube.

[​IMG]

The new cable end, will go through the pulley, and in the bottom of the master tube. The other end will come out of the bottom of the tube and go to the winch.

There is a pusher plate and crimp that needs to to be fitted into the master tube as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear master tube put back together, the spring tubes have been replaced and the screws put back on.

[​IMG]

The new cable is routed to the winch, pulled taunt, and pulled through the pulley after being wrapped around the pulley once, and then it is secured with the hardware that came with the winch.

[​IMG]

Success!!

[​IMG]

Larry St John likes this.
  2. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

[DUCT] Wasn't going to fix this one, huh?

3. dksimon

dksimon UNITED WE STAND

What are you going to do with the broken winch ? If your going to toss it, I'll pay the shipping, I might be able to make 1 winch from the parts of two !

4. ronnie

ronnie Member

Got to install my new winch and cable and pulley. All the parts came direct from Goshen, great customer service, and the price for the winch was $30 cheaper than any one or even the Dutton who made the thing. I did notice that the winch had almost no lube on the main shaft, I took it apart and greased it up.. All installed and it works great. thanks for the help and tutorial.

5. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

Good post.

6. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I know this is an old thread, but a huge Thank you to backyarddad for posting this! A friend of mine spotted a 2015 Rockwood 2318G online for $2900, with a "broken lift system" and sellers who wanted nothing to do with it anymore due to life priorities and a growing family. I went with him, and found it to be the garbage "upgraded" electric winch they offered at the time of purchase. $110 for a new cable, winch, and handle, and about 1.5hrs time later, and it was up and running again, thanks to your thread.

I am also impressed at how simple Goshen makes this system. So simple, they haven't changed it in a few decades, as it just works, and works well!

Skratchlabd and Larry St John like this.
  7. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

So the main cable, just moves plates that Push up Springs that raise the roof? Thats it? I have a 2003 Rockwood / Forest River and I just came here to see about lubing that plate under the trailer. Thanks for the person posting this!! :)