Rockwood or Viking

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Eqty, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Eqty

Eqty New Member

Hi!

This will be our first pup and we're looking for opinions/advice regarding the two finalists in our search.

The first is a Rockwood Freedom 2560G. It is a 2011 model but is being sold as new and will have all the warranties as it's been sitting on the dealers lot for over a year. It has a power lift system as opposed to a traditional crank, although the crank can be used as a backup

The second is a 2013 Viking Legend 2485SST. It has a crank lift system, but can also be raised/lowered with a cordless drill.

Both have slide out dinettes, cassette potti, inside/outside shower, heated beds, 3 way fridge, heater, in fact, the ammenities are almost identical.

GVWR for the Rockwood is 3,249 and for the Viking is 3,502. Our Honda Ridgeline should be able to handle either of these as it's rated for 5,000 lbs.

The Rockwood comes with an awning whereas the Viking comes with a 9' screenroom.

I think either of these pups would suit our needs, but was hopeful someone who owns or has owned a Rockwood or a Viking similar to the ones that we are looking at could weigh in with their opinions.

I havn't gotten firm prices on either, but in conversations with both dealerships I think the Rockwood is going for about $10,500 and the Viking about $13,000.

For what it's worth, the Rockwood is being sold by Rousseau's RV Center in Lakeville, MA and the Viking is at Mann's RV in Rutland, MA.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give.

2. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

How long are you planning on keeping the camper? What advantage is there in exchange for the 2500 extra? I have not owned either brand so I cannot give a recommendation in that regard.

Our first camper had a screenroom with it and we rarely used it. Is there anything with the layouts that you will hate 2 or 3 years from now? We got tired of climbing over a bench seat to get into our bunk. Is storage equally accessible?

If you have kids, will the layout work as they get bigger?

Is a second seating area important to you (this was a must have for my DW) for those rainy days.

Just some things to ponder as you work out your decision.

Good luck and enjoy which ever one you end up with.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I think they are both made by Forest River.

4. gasmandave

gasmandave Member

Don't pay $10,500 for the 2011 Rockwood, I just bought a 2013 2318G for $10,995. Even though it's being sold as new as soon as you roll it off the lot it becomes a used 2011.

5. Biohazard

Biohazard If its new, take it apart and make it better !!!!

watch out when they say it is being sold as NEW. I bought a 2011 coachman clipper(basically viking) and was told it was still under the factory warentee even though it is used but less then 1 year old. But after purchasing and having to have something fixed under warentee i was shocked to find out that COACHMENS factory warentee is void once the camper is used(previously owned). The repair that we needed was where the roof meets the body of the trailer so if you are considering the viking do a quick walk around and make sure the roof seal seats firm all the way around. other then that I have been happy with my coachmen purchase :)

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Everything is made by Forest River! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] Rockwood and Viking are built at different factories, though.

Check your prices. They seem odd...

Don't believe that you can raise the roof with a cordless drill. You can't. It takes a motor with 40 amps to do it.

I think they both have an awning. You need one.

If you are over 6 feet tall, the cable beds on the Viking will be a big problem. The sleeping area is only 73" long at the cable points, 75" elsewhere. I don't know the size of the Rockwood beds, but the Rockwood has one bed that is smaller.

The Rockwood has no seating other than the slide. The Viking has a sofa/bed.

I like the kitchen on the Viking, the insulated bunks (we camp a LOT in winter), the cable beds*, and the extra seating area. I don't like front storage areas. They WILL leak eventually, and they make the trailer A LOT longer.

They both have the power roof vent, 20,000 Btu furnace, scissor jacks, .... they're made by the same company. (at different locations)

All in all, how many people do you have in your family? I'd choose the Viking because of the extra sitting/sleeping area, but I'd want the power roof. I like ours on our 2012 Coachmen Clipper Sport 126 (Viking 2406 clone).

[​IMG]

73" King bed?
    [​IMG]

Power winch
    [​IMG]

7. BigBaron

Biohazard - the roof thing is coming back to bite them in the butt, huh? [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

8. Eqty

Eqty New Member

Thank you! Good to know.

9. Eqty

Eqty New Member

My guess is 5 - 6 years, and I'm trying to figure out if there is an advantage to spending the extra $.

10. Eqty

Eqty New Member

Yes, they're both made by Forest River which, in turn, is owned by Berkshire Hathaway.

11. Eqty

Eqty New Member

Thank you! Good to know.

12. Eqty

Eqty New Member

There is just my wife and I (and a black lab) that will be using the pup. The extra sitting area in the Viking is a plus.

13. BigBaron

That's a REALLY big trailer for two people. Why such a big trailer? Do you want/need a shower? What about the slide-out?
    Remember, I've lived in Korea for a decade, so my thinking has been down-sized because everything here is smaller, but we've had 11 people in our trailer at one time-easily. (not sleeping, visiting-the kids were playing in the bunks)

If it were me, I'd pick a floorplan that has a U or L-shaped dinette at one end. It's why we chose the Clipper 126, and my instincts were right. It's a great place to sit, and you don't have the reduced-height headroom of a slide-out. [A]
    If you need a shower, a Starcraft Centennial 3611 or Comet 1222 both have showers, and the 3611 has an "L" shaped sitting area.

The Flagstaff 228, 246D and Palomino 4124 (No slider) also have showers, and are much lighter trailers (probably for a reason).
    Jayco floorplans were always just "off" for me. I don't know why. If you don't need a shower, the 1007 is great. The 1206 and 1208 are great if you need a shower. I always stay away from front storage boxes-they leak sooner or later. Usually sooner. [V]
    All the brochures are on the portal: Owners manual (and brochure) library
    I hope this helps. I spent months trying to decide just using brochures. Sitting in the actual trailer is a much better option, but the brochures will get you started. [:D]
    Keep us all posted! We love shopping vicariously through others!

14. BigBaron

I just checked your profile. Honda Ridgeline? 5,000# and a 3.5L V-6? Can't use a WDH per Honda...
    5,000# is what they CAN tow. With only a V-6, I would stay around 3,000# loaded.
    I wouldn't want to pull much more than that. [2C]

From a Ridgeline Forum; Love my Ridgeline, but bummed with its towing capacity

And a Forest River forum I belong to; Towing with Honda Ridgeline

Hope this helps. I drive a diesel Hyundai Starex. It probably pulls about the same.

15. Eqty

Eqty New Member

The toilet and shower is a concession to my wife. And I have come to learn that "happy wife=happy life." I don't picture much offroad, extended or wilderness camping. Mostly 4 day weekends within a 3 -4 hour drive with maybe a once a year 7 day trek.

As far as the size of the trailer, we've been in some of the smaller ones and they just felt claustrophobic. I guess, at least for us, size matters. [:D]

16. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I'll agree with the others that $10.5 for a 2011 is on the steep side. Flagstaff and Rockwood come out of the same factory, same floorplans, same materials ... different fabric colors and branding. The Flagstaff equivalent to the Rockwood 2560G is the 246D. Here is a link that shows a brand new 2013 Flagstaff 246D for $10.9.

http://robertssales.com/sales/series_mac.html

If a 2013 is $10.9, then a 2011 ought to be a couple grand less, I would suppose.

17. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

I've seen problems with both. I only have a Viking camper myself. I have friends who have Rockwoods, both have failures in production. [V]

I would be concerned about the lift systems, because when they break the Goshen type system is easier to repair.

Of course with such new units....you really should not have issues like that. [LOL]

FL Bill

18. Eqty

Eqty New Member

Yup, that's the impression I'm getting. We'll go back to the dealership for another visit and see just how motivated they are to sell. Thanks for your input.

19. Eqty

Eqty New Member

Thanks Bill. That is helpful information.

20. BigBaron

I know the happy wife bit... [:D]

Weight is a concern with your TV, IMHO.

Have you gone inside many trailers?