Rockwood Outdoor Light

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by AnotherHickey, Jun 9, 2020.

1. AnotherHickey

AnotherHickey New Member

The light on the outside of my Rockwood no longer lights up. It worked last year, but not this year. I swapped the bulb and verified that all of the fuses were good in the fuse panel. Ideas?

Side note, just finished the deck for the front of the PUP.

Attached Files:

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Battery good? Is it an LED bulb?

3. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Had issues with mine last year, was a Jayco though....ended up being the switch. I replaced the whole thing. Pretty easy to check with a multimeter.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I'd guess the switch also, the switch on the light itself if it has one. Rockwood and everyone else use the cheapest fixtures they can find from the lowest irresponsible bidder. I have had those switches or the bulb socket corrode from water intrusion on more than one camper, including the front utility light on our 17 Roo which is a standard porch light with switch, after the first season we used it.

Rockwood does not use butyl tape or caulk to mount the exterior pictures, they use a closed cell foam gasket. They leak, all of them. Best to remove every exterior fixture and remount with butyl, then caulk the perimeter.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. AnotherHickey

AnotherHickey New Member

There is a switch at the bottom of the light, no switch or anything inside the camper. I might have to see if I can take it off there and get a new one ordered.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

You may be able to shoot some contact cleaner in the switch and work it back and forth. Sometimes that will get it working. Lot of things die from lack of use.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. AnotherHickey

AnotherHickey New Member

I just ordered an LED version of it now. We will get it swapped out next week when it comes in. The top was cracked anyways, so I didn't feel bad about ordering a new one.

kmbarreiros likes this.
  8. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

The light that you ordered does it come with that foam material that goes in between to make a better seal or are you reusing whatever your camper has.
    I bought an new light and if didn't come with that.....and when I pulled off the old light that foam material or whatever it is just fell apart. I plan to check my local West Marine to see if they have anything that would work.

9. Old_Geezer

They don't use the foam gaskets because they're better, they use them because a foam gasket takes 1 second to install, Butyl tape and a bead of caulk takes 3 minutes.

Get some Butyl and put a layer around the perimeter of the flat mounting surface holding it back a little from the edge and also a piece over any holes, install fixture, caulk perimeter with some Geocell.

Every single exterior light or other item on our 2017 Rockwood Roo showed signs of water intrusion because of those foam gaskets, and this was after we had it for only two months.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Agreed, even if you havr the gasket, you still need to caulk it. The top and sides, leave a bit un caulked on the bottem in case water gets in so it can get out.

Raycfe likes this.
  11. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

OMG a giant light went off as soon as you said Butyl tape...I could not remember for the life of me what that stuff was called.
    Already in my amazon cart the caulk I already have.
    Thank you old geezer.

12. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Regarding the deck - do you not actually travel in the camper? Or how does that come along?

13. Old_Geezer

Don't mention it. Rockwood did not get the nickname Rotwood for no reason, and 99.9% of it came from leaking clearance lights on Travel trailers due to those damn closed cell foam gaskets. They still use them to this day.
    A $0.02 gasket and the labor is factored into the fixture install opposed to $0.05 worth of butyl, $0.10 worth of caulk, and an additional $1.50 worth of labor.

Gaskets work well on cylinder heads, tranny and oil pans, etc. Not so well on cheap Chinese plastic fixtures, held on by two stripped out screws slapped together by one of the Yoder Brothers, who is getting paid on the piecework model.

Not their problem once it rolls of the dealers lot.

WrkrBee likes this.
  14. AnotherHickey

AnotherHickey New Member

We share a creek with our neighbors, so we all camp in the woods along the creek. My side has the hill, so I built a deck and that is where it stays. It makes camping so much easier to just pop it up. My neighbors are on the low side and have to pull theirs in and out each time we camp. We have camped the past 5 weekends, so it is getting plenty of use this summer.

15. AnotherHickey

AnotherHickey New Member

So I went to swap the light last night, but still didn't get it to power on. I searched through all of the cables near the power inverter and made sure that they were all tight. Do you know if the light will "still come on if I am only on battery power? I didn't run an extension cord down to the camper to try that and just used battery power. Another thing that I thought of....is there a sensor or something on the flip down sink/counter that allows the lights or electricity to know when the camper is "up and ready to be used"? It was getting dark when I was down there and didn't have time to try too many things last night after it didn't come on.

16. Old_Geezer

It should come on with only battery, and yes, you should have a safety switch somewhere on the flip down galley which kills 12VDC power, but usually it only kills it to the overhead lights on the ceiling / roof. Not sure why they would have wired that light on the lower side through the kill switch but you never know what they will do, or why they do things.

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Use a test light or volt meter on the wires to see if the wires have power.