Rocky Mountain Rampage Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Mosbyranger, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Hi Angie!

The "head count" is on page one of this thread. It's not been updated in a while, 'cause there are others coming that aren't listed there! And also, I've changed from the campsite to boondocking. Boondocking is just better for Bonnie, so she can run about off leash and chase chipmonks and squirrels and such.

Here's the list as it is now:

Site #
    kitphantom

Kim Ciara
    Boondocking

Mosbyrangers

14erfam

Nitty Gritty

Ogeer3
    Boondocking

Anyway, we should have a nice group of people, huh?

See ya's there!

Kim

2. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Lauren5280 is scheduled to be in site 22

Bearman is boondocking.

Lauren has not posted in a while, If she has not by the time I get back from work I'll PM her to see if she is still on board.

There should be enough kids and dogs running about to keep everyone occupied.

Angie- worry not about bears, they have not eaten anyone at Thirty Mile for at least 2 weeks........

Got some trailer work and packing on tap for the weekend. Hope everyone is as excited as I am.
    MR

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We're still scheduled for site 13, which has been our favorite site. Major TV work done last week in Tucson, so that should be ready. Still waiting to hear if BIL is coming for part of the trip, but we'll be there for a while before the rally, we arrive on Friday the 15th. DH is itching for a backpack, too, since he has not had one yet this year.

4. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Friday or Saturday DW, Ozzy, and I will do a short backpack to Highland Mary Lakes. I haven't been up 520 in quite a few years but all are welcome to join us on this Kodak tour.
    We are also going to do a little rockhounding on Wolf Creek Pass looking for geodes.

5. kitphantom

DH is heading for Flint Lakes in the Weminuche, which he apparently missed by about a 1/4 mile last fall, hiking in from Vallecito - he is determined to find those lakes! I'll be base camping in the pup, I don't manage to do the mileage he's planning. [He is quite capable of doing 48 miles in the same number of hours, enjoying it all - which I definitely cannot.]
    We've done a hike toward Highland Mary Lakes from the Ouray side, I don't remember if we actually got there, but it is nice territory.

6. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Started packing things today! ha! Guess I'm getting a wee bit excited about this trip.

Plan on leaving home early on the 18th, and will be there five or so hours later. (I don't drive too fast, and like to stop every couple of hours for a rest.)

Bonnie is excited... she sees me getting things together, and is now bouncing up and down and off the walls, 'cause she knows we're soon going camping.

Hope to find a spot with lots of chipmonks, so Bonnie can be a really, really happy camper.

See ya's all there!

Kim

7. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

We will be arriving now on the 17th and leaving on the 22nd. We will still be boondocking in the Lost Trail area.
    bearman512 TV and Pup.
    [​IMG]

8. Mosbyranger

All righty! Got the tires aired up and the bearings lubed today. Love the e-z lube axles. We are going to leave Saturday, spend the night in Lake City and have an easy jaunt to Thirty Mile on Sunday. I guess we (meaning all of us) should decide where to hold the pot luck when we get there. I hope everyone's preparations are going well and LETS GO CAMPING!
    MR

9. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

We are leaving out in the morning and will be waiting on the rest of you.

10. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

I plan on leaving on the 18th, unless a few things really go my way, so might be able to leave on the 17th.

Either way, I'll see you all there, too!

Kim

11. Mosbyranger

Got the final plans set as far as travel. We'll be leaving Sunday for Lake City. Overnight there, then Monday to Thirty Mile. Can't wait to get going.
    MRF

12. Mosbyranger

It looks like we have a high pressure system stuck over the four corners area. This means that there is a lot of moisture being pumped into western Colorado. I would recommend that you all bring some raingear, and warm clothing. Mud boots might be a good thing to bring also. Be sure that your furnaces are working and bring full propane tanks. Of course everyone knows this, but I had to say it anyway. Wet in the high country can mean cold, even in July. I'm packing a set of polyproplene long underwear, wool socks and a knit watch cap. Just sayin...
    MR

13. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

I wish that I could attend this year, I know it will be shining times. I just can't screw up my my wedding anniversary.
    I know what your talking about when it come to rain and cool weather. I just got back from Taylor Park and we had high temp's of 72 and nights in the low 40's. All the rivers running high and fast but clear, it may be the same at the rally. Lake fishing was great. Safe travel to all and post some pictures when you get back. Have a great time.
    Fred

14. kitphantom

Yes, this is one of the trips where the assortment of clothing and layers is pretty much at the top of our scale - best I could find yesterday was lows predicted to be 37-51 for Creede. No furnace for us, but if we find room, may bring the Black Cat heater if we want to sit outside when it is cold.

[Thirty Mile was one of the campgrounds on a trip a few years ago where we had rain 13 out of 14 days - and not usual monsoons, but pouring, steady rains beginning at 11 or 12 and continuing much of the remainder of the day, thanks to some storm that was stuck in the gulf.]

Getting things pretty well organized, will get the last items in the pup, cookies baked, and the pup closed tomorrow if I can. Got the arrangements for the house/pet sitter, mail, newspaper, etc. taken care of yesterday. BIL is not going to be able to join us, so that eliminates packing tent, etc. for him.

15. Nitty Gritty

Nitty Gritty I love RVing!!

We are planning to leave this Friday drive 9 hrs to Trinidad stay there a couple nights then make our way to Thirtymile. Our daughter has a mean case of swimmers ear, which is worrying me some about leaving them behind, hoping her pain ceases by the time we leave. Looks like a nice group to me! We have no set plans of what we plan to do besides Johnathan getting some fly casting on, maybe atv ride through the mountain scenery, but mostly enjoying the beauty, the cool weather, and possibly getting a glimpse of wild life doesn't have to be bears, squirrels are fine...lol!

16. 14erfam

14erfam Member

We'll leave bright and early Monday morning and be at Thirty Mile that afternoon! Pup is almost ready- need to top off the propane. Its also squeaking like an old matress on the bumps- maybe because of all the wet weather we've had this year. So I'll get under it today with some silicon spray to see if I can quiet those leaves down.

Other than that, we're ready to roll! "Raise the roof!" [PU]

17. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Hey, Mike!

If it's sqeaking *that* much, Bonnie (my Bonnie, not yours!) might think it's a mouse or chipmonk or something. But as long as you don't try to mask the sound with pillows, I think you're camper will be just fine.

Kim

18. 14erfam

14erfam Member

@Kim,

Yes, my pillows are off limits to your little dog Ms Bonnie!

Re: the squeaks, pup runs and tows just fine, but embarassingly noisy in campgrounds over small bumps/dips! I worked on it this afternoon and its nice smooth and quiet now. Nobody will hear me coming!

19. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

To MR or anyone else living in the area of the Colorado Rally/Creede, CO:

Simple question... how far from the general camping area is a supermarket, a Safeway, or something similar?

Just curious... trying to plan meals for a week... this information would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Kim

20. Mosbyranger

Kim- the campground is Thirty Miles from Creede. Hence, the name. 10 miles on dirt, 20 on pavement.
    MR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.