Roll-up curtains

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Raquel Wells, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Raquel Wells

Raquel Wells New Member

has anyone swapped out regular track curtains for DIY roll up curtains?

My thought at the moment is to put velcro on the ceiling and attach roll up curtains to that. They would simply tie up with a loop of fabric at each end with some Velcro or a snap.

Hoping someone has some insight or photos of their own swap out!!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

No, but I've thought of it a few times. Will be interested to see others replies.

HappyTraveler and Raquel Wells like this.
  3. Raquel Wells

Raquel Wells New Member

My thoughts are: less chance of getting pulled down by the kids during the day. Not in the way during the day. Easy to come down when it’s time to wash them

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Should be a relative easy mod to do.

5. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Haven't swapped, but my PUP came with original roll-up curtains. I wanted new ones, so I removed the plastic tabs from the old ones and just sewed them on my new ones. Maybe you could do the same with whatever hardware your curtains use.

On my side curtains, the PUP has built-in cords that are attached just above and below the windows and have sliders (where you pinch the button to slide it, let go to make it stay in place). So roll the curtains up, slide the slidey-thing up to hold them. However, my bunk end curtains have ties that I made. Those you roll up and then just tie them up like you described. Sorry I don't have any pictures of that and PUP is stored at my uncle's now.

FYI - I really like the roll-up style. Seems neater inside. And i like that they are all rolled up and out of the way when you are popping-down.

6. Kayce

Kayce New Member

I haven't had much luck with Velcro. Tried it on the clips and curtains I made and it didn't hold. I may have not used heavy duty type, used fabric type since curtains really weren't heavy. Weather has been hot and humid here, that may have had an effect.

7. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

My A-frame camper came with roll up shades attached with heavy duty Velcro on all except the bubble windows. I have replaced the fabric with shades lined with blackout fabric. The Velcro strips on the camper walls are the sticky loop side and are sticky backed. They also have a few short screws holding them to the camper wall. The Velcro fuzzy side is not sticky backed and is sewn onto the fabric. I was reusing the original Velcro, but I have seen Velcro sold in that combination. Each of the short straps of fabric that hold the shades up has a short piece of Velcro and there is another short piece of Velcro sewn to the top of the shade. Everything in these A-frame campers is small, including the window shades, and none of mine hang from the ceiling. I do not know how well Velcro would hold for you. I would look for the most industrial strength Velcro I could find.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

My Jayco has factory roll up curtains. They are still attached to a regular curtain track. All you need to do is have done extra material on the bottom so you can sew a pocket along the length of the bottom. Mine has a long relatively heavy piece of plastic on it. As indicated above I also have thin bungee cords that stretch from the ceiling to a socket on top of the rails. I really prefer them to regular curtains and I roll then up when dropping the roof. Seems to work well for me.

9. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Would you happen to have a picture of your roll-up curtains?

10. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

I installed venetian blinds on both sides . We bought them on sale , the kind that have no cord . Push up and pull down changes the angle of the shade . To close just push up a little . I used very short fat screws for the installation .push them all the way up for when I crank the pup back down. The Camper is closed, so no picture sorry , but we love them and they look great.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have had the same problem with velcro not sticking and/or coming loose.

I would use the snaps that screw in to the camper ceiling. Attach to the ceiling with the snaps - easy to remove for cleaning. Then add two or three more snaps to a ribbon to "tie" the curtains upright. You could also add multiple snaps at different points in the ribbon so you can vary how much to raise the curtain.
    https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-...ds=wall+snaps&qid=1559430061&s=gateway&sr=8-3

12. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

We once replaced the curtains and used velcro. It worked well. Instead of buying expensive fabric, we bought table cloths from Dollar general. Cheap and effective.