Rolling View CG Falls Lake State Rec. Area

speckhunter80

Super Active Member
Jul 26, 2012
Shell Rock Landing, Hubert NC
Rolling View CG is part of the Falls Lake State Recreation Area but is isolated from the other camping areas and is much better choice if needing a cg near Durham. The turn off to the CG is app. 8 miles east of Durham down NC 98. There is a school where you turn. From there, it is approximately 2.7 miles to the CG. It’s a nice looking campground although generally my wife and I were disappointed as it wasn’t what we expected and that is on us. I would recommend this campground and will. No site has lakefront access as some do at Holly Point Cg and only a few even have a lake view. The swimming area is .4 mile walk at best from Loop A. For most people you would want to drive the 1.5 miles to it.
There are 3 camping loops; A, B and C. A and B have water and electricity at the sites and C does not. Loop A has 28 sites. Loop B has 54 sites and Loop C has 35 sites. Again, as in previous reviews my recommendations are based upon my larger popup (Coleman Bayside Elite 12’box, 25’ open).
In loop A for me, the preferred sites are 4, 11, 14, 15, 16, 22 and 28. If you are camping with friends then sites 19/20 would be a good choice. Some of these sites are a considerable distance from the bath house. Sites 25, 26, and 27 have lake views but are fairly close to gether with litle to no vegetative screening.
Loop B the sites seemed small and close to each other and again some sites are quite a distance from the bath house, so far you would need to drive. Loop B has a playground at the beginning and an amphitheater in the middle. The only site I would want would be site 28. Sites 16, 17, and 18 have water views but again are close together and would be great for a “camping group.” A number of sites at the start and end of the loop around the amphitheater and playground lack shading and are open.
Loop C had some of the best shaded and nice looking sites however they are somewhat small for a camper/trailer and lack electricity or water. The best two campsites IMO are 24 and 26 in this loop. Again, many of the sites are a considerable walk to the bath house.

Last edited:

threebeachboys

Jul 18, 2005
I regularly camp at Rolling View Loop A in the winter. Unlike Jordan Lake (my usual retreat), Rolling View water spigots have freeze control, so water stays on. Also, 24 hour access. We're very lucky to have both these facilities so close to home.

speckhunter80

Super Active Member
Jul 26, 2012
Shell Rock Landing, Hubert NC
I regularly camp at Rolling View Loop A in the winter. Unlike Jordan Lake (my usual retreat), Rolling View water spigots have freeze control, so water stays on. Also, 24 hour access. We're very lucky to have both these facilities so close to home.
We just came home from Holly Point after 5 nights. Prefer Holly Point but because it is closed in the winter we took a drive thru Rolling View to see if we would want to stay there possibly in the winter

Latest posts