Roo or Shamrock Owners - How to Switch to DC

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by JunkyBurrittos, Sep 24, 2019.

1. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg Please help me make sure I’m not missing anything. When I’m not plugged into shore power, should my DC automatically kick in? Or is there something else I need to do? My control panel flashes four lights (fully charged) for about a tenth of a second and goes to nothing. All 4 lights are constant when on AC. I also have a battery disconnect knob and I’m not sure if I’m supposed to use that whenever going DC or if that is an emergency shut off.

The previous owner said he brought the battery in every winter and trickle charged it but maybe it’s a goner. My next step if left to my own devices is to take the battery in to be tested. I hope it’s not an inverter issue! I appreciate any advice!

2. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

you do not have to do anything to switch to DC, if you have no shore power, the battery will supply power to the battery powered stuff - works the same as a popup in that regard. The battery cut off switch is just a battery disconnect. You should use it when you store the camper to prevent the parasitic power drains from draining the battery (like the CO detector) - would be like you simply taking the battery cable off of the battery to disconnect it. There is a caution- I have read some have reported that a factory installed battery disconnect does not necessarily cut all DC power to the entire trailer like you think it should. things like the tongue jack may still be powered if it is wired directly to the battery.
    it may be a good idea to have the battery checked. mine does still register power on the control panel when i don't have shore power plugged in.

JunkyBurrittos likes this.
  3. JunkyBurrittos

Thanks Gals. Out of curiosity, which way (in or out) is to shut down and which way is connected? I was kind of afraid to play with it not knowing what it does. I guess I could just mess with it, just curious how it works on yours. Trying to remove as much user error as possible. Lol.

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Unplug from shore power and turn on a light. If it turns on then the battery disconnect isnt disconnected. If it doesnt turn on it is disconnected. Move the switch in the opposite direction.

5. JunkyBurrittos

Okay that was easy, out is on. Got it! My battery only had 1/3 power though and I’ve had it plugged in for days. I guess I need to leave it in the on position in order for the inverter to charge it? And if I’m on shore power it will charge but not deplete? I’m dry camping this weekend and need to get this figured out. Thank you!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Put it on a real battery charger. The camper converter may charge it but will not do a great job. Given the battery’s age, it may be a goner though.

7. JunkyBurrittos

Camper’s a 2013 and he replaced the battery maybe three years ago. I’ve got to be able to keep charging this while off the grid and it would be way easier to just plug the camper into the generator although maybe that’s not the most efficient.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If you have a good 3 or 4 stage charger, 10 to 15 amps, it will stir the acid in the battery and may reduce the sulfation on the plates giving you a deeper charge while at home. Then in camp you can plug into the genny to maintain the charge while camping.

9. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Just to clarify, the trailer has a CONverter, not an INverter.
    All RVs come with CONverters, few come with INverters. Roo/Shamrock hybrids have factory Converters. An inverter would be an aftermarket install.

10. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Also remember that in order to charge that switch will generally need to be pulled out (on) to charge the battery

11. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Active Member

Yeah, if the battery disconnect was off it essentially cuts your battery from the trailer so it won't charge through the converter. Leave it on when you are charging and turn it off when you are 100%. It's designed to prevent parasitic draw on the battery while sitting unused.

JunkyBurrittos and theseus like this.
  12. GalsofEscape

and to add to bikendans post (in a not so technical way)-----
    a converter takes ac power (the shore power) and changes it to dc power. the converter will recharge the battery when you have shore power and run the dc stuff - like the lights and water pump.
    an inverter takes dc power and changes it to ac power - so you can run ac equipment from a battery source - like a television (but may not run these items for very long unless you have a big battery bank).

have a great trip this weekend.

Sjm9911 and JunkyBurrittos like this.
  13. JunkyBurrittos

Yup. That’s what I meant. Thanks for calling me out lol.

14. JunkyBurrittos

Got it! Thank you.

Hey on an unrelated note, I think you need a cat pajama photo. Shelmily’s going to think you’re impersonating him. [8D]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. JunkyBurrittos

TY Gals! Meeting up with Portal Peeps so I’ll be in good hands for anything I haven’t figured out ahead of time. :)

16. GalsofEscape

nice - The Vermont Fall Foliage rally this weekend? They will certainly get you squared away; a great group

17. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Active Member

You all are going to have to wait for the real thing!

18. JunkyBurrittos

Oh man! Keep the crowd wanting more! [LOL][LOL]

19. JunkyBurrittos

Yes I think I have poor Jimmy’s weekend planned. o_O