ROOF BOUNCE WHEN RAISING?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Bradley E Dixon, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon New Member

K all, need some input on the ???[​IMG] roof raising issue.

I recently purchased a used 2014 FOREST RIVER FLAGSTAFF MAC BR28TSC (toy-hauler)

Noticed that when I'm raising the roof w/the pwr winch after I have the unit leveled, that about 1/2 up thru the roof travel.....it starts to bounce /jerk up/down then it stops when it gets to the roof max height limit?

If I stop winching. It stops bouncing?

Now the bounce/jerk isn't violent.... just a little unsettling. When I do get the roof raised an in place I jam in the safety bars asap.

It's done this from day 1 when I picked it up in late June.

I've greased the cable fitting underneath, oiled/lubed the lift arms - cleaned then used graphite on the winch system - no change? (well it goes DOWN a lot smoother)

To me... something is sticking/binding a bit, causing resistance, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
    That or I have a bent lift spring somewhere. [​IMG] ( I did buy it used from a dealer who didn't have a CLUE about pop-up campers)

I will add that my old hand-cranked my old '96 STARCRAFT 2106 12yrs ago...it too had a tendency to bounce a bit as well - AFTER I installed the roof A/C unit
    At the time I attributed that to the small lift springs/arms and the added weight.

Now my 2014 Fleetwood w/A/C is doing the same thing. Mind you it's a much bigger roof and I am using a pwr winch (no I haven't tried cranking it by hand - I'm old and broken....)

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

My 2011 Flagstaff bounces some. I havent given it a 2nd thought.

3. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

It could just be the cable in the winch. The cable, under tension will either cross over or get pulled down in between wraps. With some help and keeping tension on the cable try to unwind completely then rewind keeping wraps side by side and tight until the roof is up to the top. The would at least eliminate this as a cause. I use to get cable jump occasionally on a tow winch and this usually fixed it. It also extended the life of the cable.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Did you buy it from a dealer? If so, take it in and have it looked at. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You didn't mention if you greased the main tube (two grease zerks) underneath the camper or not... if not I would do so.

5. Bradley E Dixon

I honestly wouldn't take it back to the dealer I bought it from.

#1 - they are 500 miles away
    #2 - my "scheduled 9am walk-thru orientation" - we me actually showing/teaching the service tech & salesman how to OPERATE the camper by spending a total of about 3+ hours helping the tech get it ready for me to purchase:

- show where the 12v powerswitch for the water pump was
    -
    flush the winterizing anti-freeze out of the system
    - showing him the outside drain(s)
    - now fix the leaking sink drain hose that was split
    - showing the tech how to GET to the drain hose clamps thru the outside shower (they were upside down)
    - how the cabinet toilet worked......
    - find/fix/replace the low-point water valve that was leaking (after we fixed the sink - c-clip popped out)

But they did :
    - replace the deep-cycle battery (was dead)
    - replaced the battery break-away tow switch
    - set-up my WDH.

yea......no I'm not going back to the dealer. Not sure what happened to the whole PDI process on this unit, and I was more than a little surprised, but in their defense they did "make it right by me" in terms of $$$$ off the price and added accessories.....

I'm pretty sure they have NEVER sold a pup and I'm definitely sure they have NO IDEA as to the history of this unit to cross-reference any repair(s)/issue(s) before they took it in on trade......?

I drove too far at that point to walk away, and since I brought it home it hasn't really had any issues other than some minor wear & tear and general maintenance that I was able to fix myself.

As for the grease zerk(s) - I only found 1 ? I'll look again.

6. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

My lift mechanism also only has 1 grease fitting. It's possible the grease just hasn't made it all the way through. Try greasing at different lift heights going up as well as down just to ensure coverage.

Bradley E Dixon likes this.
  7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Goshen lift systems should always have 2. One is on the bottom toward the front, and likely the one you found. The other is toward the rear, and on top of the tube, and harder to find.

eriefisher likes this.
  8. Bradley E Dixon

Ahh...I didn't look on-top at the rear. THANKS!!

tfischer likes this.
  9. Bradley E Dixon

Crawled underneath last night. NOPE. No rear grease zerk whatsoever? Front one on the bottom about a foot back from the end - YES. Ran my hand all along the top/side/bottom of the cable rail system - no luck.

The cable is covered in grease and the end of the rail is thick with it. So I'm back to where I started.

I'll inspect the cable at various roof heights (when the bouncing starts) and hopefully see something that point towards an "ahaaaa!!" moment.

I'll keep everyone in-the-loop and I'll post pics if what I find is relevant.

Thanks all.

10. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

My 2016 Jayco (Starcraft) with Goshen bounced some (from the time we bought it new) starting halfway up until reaching final height. Never enough to worry me. I thought maybe the telescoping support poles were the source of resistance when the camper wasn't perfectly level. This input doesn't help much - just reassuring you that everything might be okay if you don't find an ahaaa culprit.

11. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Can't help you your bouncy grief but it is nice to have you here with us Bradley. We've been to Minot.

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

All popup lift systems, Fleetwood / Coleman being a notable exception, are based on the concept of a winch i.e. a single cable wrapping around a drum, so it's inevitable that the cable will wrap unevenly and occasionally jerk & make a noise - just the nature of the beast. ;) Our 1998 Jayco 10UD did it, our 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe never, because four separate cables were connected to a threaded drive screw a.k.a. whiffletree, so there was no wrapping of a cable around a drum. :D

13. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

Same here with my 2003 Viking. Just a slight bounce as it goes up.

14. Mike76

Mike76 Member

I've found my popup will bounce when opening (mostly) if I'm not 100% level. Side to side level, mostly, it feels like. If I'm level it doesn't do it. So basically this only happens to me when I'm at home after a trip as I'm less careful then ;)

15. boopheads

boopheads I'd rather be camping

My popup would bounce when opening too. I found the problem was that the motor was starting to fail, getting weak. I put up with it for a few years. Ended up getting a new motor and winch and now, no more bouncing. The motor was the issue but unfortunately,I could not get just the motor. The new system comes with a new winch, limit switches, toggle switch, etc. It was a little more expensive but all new.