Roof Caulking removal and reseal

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by 1Step, Sep 21, 2019.

1. 1Step

1Step New Member

Ok, I can see this topic gets beaten to death and I have read a ton of threads....but am still confused. I am a new (used) trailer owner .... 2015 Forest River Rockwood Freedom 232XRT.

1. The roof does not currently leak
    2. The caulking on the top of the roof is weathered (stored 3 years outdoors in Las Vegas) and breaks off to the touch
    Caulk_1.jpg
    3. Would like to reseal

So my questions:
    A. The caulking down the middle two-thirds of the roof appears to have been applied before the side rail was attached to the roof -- see the black looking areas.
    Caulk_4.jpg
    There is no bead on top of the rail, so it looks like the rail was installed and when pushed down, the caulking oozed out the side a bit. HOWEVER, as in the photos, the ends of the roof show a large white bead of caulking. Should I reapply caulking so that I have a similar large white bead the length of the roof? I just don't understand why it was not manufactured that way.

B. Removing the caulking (referring to the black colored areas): Should I scrape out the old caulking under the rails (would need to use a dental type tool because it's really tiny) or just clean up the areas on the outer edges?

If you made it this far in my long post, my thanks and appreciation!

Attached Files:

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation. I removed as much as I could then laid a new bead of Dicore over it. Is that the right way? But i feel confident it will keep water out.

1Step likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Keeping the water out is the objective. I used a putty knife on several to remove as much of the old putty as possible, it isn't an easy task but well worth the effort to make everything is sealed.

1Step likes this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

That lip makes a perfect gutter for water to get in even the slightest void. I would look into putting Eternabond tape over the seam and then sealing the edges with Dicor self leveling.

1Step and bols2Dawall like this.
  5. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Yep , dig out the crap , wipe area with acetone . add eternabond tape . Be careful though once it's down it's down . Good luck

1Step likes this.
  6. 1Step

1Step New Member

Thanks. Just looked up the Eternabond tape -- never heard of it before-- and it says it's for rubber roofs. Mine is fiberglass. Do they make the tape for fiberglass too? I could not locate any.

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Scrape all the old caulk off that you can. Use a plastic putty knife to avoid any damage. Clean the area with brake kleen and reseal using either a self leveling Dicor or Xtrm.

Raycfe and 1Step like this.
  8. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

1Step likes this.
  9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I just did that exact repair this past Spring. I used a 5 in 1 tool to strip the old seal and used Dicor self leveling sealant to recaulk. Make sure you clean the area well, rub it all down with denatured alcohol and allow to dry before resealing.

The whole process only took me an hour to complete.

There are many YouTube videos that give direction on how to do this.

I don’t recommend using eternabond unless you have other large cracks or repairs that are needed.

Raycfe, HappyTraveler and 1Step like this.
  10. xxxapache

Eternabond and Dicor is a belt and suspenders approach

I inspected a leaky 2012 trailer two years ago. It had a raised edge like the pic above. 2-3 inches of the manufacturers sealant was loose. It had leaked enough to ruin the back wall. The water had traveled down the seam and funneled right in.

11. 1Step

1Step New Member

Should I use a non-leveling sealant? Take a look at one of the photos. The side rail/flashing creates a raised edge of 1-2 mm. Watched Dicor's videos and they said the leveling sealant should be used on flat, smooth surfaces and non-leveling used on anything uneven.

12. xxxapache

Self leveling

1Step likes this.
  13. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I used self leveling on the same areas with great success. Self leveling works on horizontal surfaces not verticle.

1Step likes this.
  14. 1Step

1Step New Member

Many thanks for all the help. Feel very well prepared to jump into my first trailer project now.

I also found some info from Dicor stating that any ridge less than 1/4" can be handled with self leveling while anything greater than 1/4" is best suited for non-leveling. Posting that info for any future person with the same question:

"Self-leveling sealant spreads out after it comes out of the container; that is, it may come out looking like a Hershey Kiss®, but it will soon flow and flatten turning into a wafer-like shape. It is made to cover horizontal seams and cracks and the base flange edges of appliances that are only a quarter-inch or less offset from the roof.

For a flange that extends more than a quarter-inch off the roof, non-sag, non self-leveling sealant is recommended to securely seal the flange with the roof. This is because non-sag, non self-leveling sealant does not change shape after it is dispensed from the tube and it is easy to layer and build up around an appliance base for a solid seal. In other words, if it comes out like a Hershey Kiss it stays like a Hershey Kiss. Conversely, if you were to use a self-leveling sealant around a flange edge that stuck up more than a quarter inch, it would spread out and only leave a thin covering on the flange edge. Attempting to apply additional coats to build it up would simply waste additional sealant."

HappyTraveler likes this.
  15. BikeNFish

FDD38C85-5605-4C65-AF4C-888AEB39753A.jpeg
    Yes, self leveling. This is my results.

16. MotherRunner

MotherRunner New Member

Looks amazing. It looks like you removed the side rail. is that correct? Are you going to replace it?

17. BikeNFish

I did not remove the side rail. Just cleaned out the old seal and applied the new Dicor.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. davekro

davekro Active Member

B&F, I just did the same Dicor sealing a few days ago. My bead size was only half your size. 20-20 hindsight and all, I wish I had made a bigger bead like you did. I lucked out that the self leveling Dicor did not run on the 9” vertical seams front and rear. It was evening and not hot, so that helped. It seems that it almost immediately skins over.

19. BikeNFish

The main reason I used a large bead is that I knew I had plenty in the tube and would throw out any I didn’t use, so I may as well put on a bunch. Got my money’s worth!!;)

1Step likes this.
  20. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

So.... I had a slightly different approach.

My *old* camper had someone goto town with silicon prior to my purchase of it.
    upload_2019-10-4_11-57-5.png

upload_2019-10-4_11-57-25.png

I removed the plastic strip from the side channel, to expose the screws. I then removed all the screws, and took the side channel off:
    upload_2019-10-4_11-58-27.png

(Note, my *old* camper had a seam down the middle, so most of my photos focused on this, I didn't take many in the way of the sides)

I scraped and cleaned all the old Butyl tape and silicon off.
    upload_2019-10-4_11-59-50.png

I then bought NEW butyl tape, and laid it down, and put the track back over, and screwed it in. I coated the threads of the screws in Dicor when I ran them in. The Butyl tape squishes out, and forms a seal.

This is how they do it at the factory.

If I was to use eternabond, I wouldn't have bothered all the prep work, and just gone over the entire mess. (If I knew about eternabond, I would have done this too, since it was about 3 days of work. But it was 6 years ago, and the camper was my first experience).

My current camper, I don't know. I think I'd pull the trim off and just do Butyl tape again. It's in really good shape, and I like how it looks.

1Step and davekro like this.