Roof Coating???

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by JohnB1953, Feb 12, 2012.

1. JohnB1953

JohnB1953 New Member

Well I was working on our 1985 palomino shetland pup this weekend.One of the projects was to replace the roof vent.While I was doing that I noticed that the roof is loaded woth small hail dents. The roof is not leaking at this time but I was wondering about applying some type of coating to the top to maybe help it look a little better and maybe reflect a little sunlight to hepl keep it a little cooler. Any Ideas in this area. Thanks in advance for any /all information John

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

there are roll on type roof sealers that could be applied, but if it was me i'd sure want to make sure i didn't have any hidden damage to the roof that might need to be done any time soon

3. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

there is a white rubber roof coating at Lowes that they use on Trailers, I just don't know the weight of it? Mine has Hail dents too, it adds character I say [8D]

4. JT2

JT2 Member

Hi
    I'm not sure what the Palamino roof is made of but I'll share an experience.

Many years ago the roof on our Coleman got maybe 10 or15 dings from blowing debris during a monster storm -- hail, sticks, etc. Most of the hits just depressed the vinyl without breaking the surface. A couple pushed down far enough to split the material; you should check each dent closely for even the smallest split.

I didn't bother with the slight indentations (they're still there today) but I cleaned out the ones with the splits and filled each with clear silicone sealer (fish tank sealant or similar) then leveled it off with a small trowel.

Although the fills have clouded with time, they still don't look bad because they're each such a small area on the big white roof.

If your roof dents are just visual dings, I'm not sure they're worth the effort, cost and additional weight of an overcoating; nobody's going to see it anyway when the roof is up in camp. (When it's closed, just tell the curious that you once parked too close to a golf course....)

Do check closely for any splits in the roof material though.

Good luck.

JT

5. JohnB1953

JohnB1953 New Member

I could only find one small tear in one dent. I will fix that probably with a sealer. I was more thinking of looks. It is an alum. top and I see no leaks anywhere

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Does your Shetland had the aluminum roof (over insulation and the interior ceiling) that our '84 did? The roof had lots of hail dents (one of the hazards of a pup that apparently lived in the SW for all the time before we bought it, and ever since, too), and we never had a problem with leaking from any of then. I did have to scrub them out after a few years sitting uncovered, waiting for renovation. The ponderosa & pinyon pines it lived under for that time seem to drop a fine black "dust" and it collected in the dents, not to mention all the grit, dust, etc. that blows through NM skies in windy season.

7. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

rhino liner that i have sprayed myself in the past is 8 pounds per gallon and it all depends on the person spraying as to how much they do spray

8. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

i used kool seal.

its a rubber roof coating for homes and RV's. paint on. works great and really helps keeps cooler temps in summer

9. tlgenterprises

tlgenterprises New Member