Roof cracks after Gator Grip

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Kristiecowans, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

[MOD]Hello

I did the Gator Grip treatment to my old cracking ABS Coleman Fleetwood roof-and sadly it was in such bad shape by the time we applied the Gator Grip it only looked good for a couple of months and then more cracks appeared-short of replacing the whole roof or slapping duct tape over the cracks, what glue should I use to fill the cracks? I'm thinking silicone glue (something that will expand and shrink with the weather w/o making these cracks worse!), what have others done in this situation?

Attached Files:

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

FWIW, I doubt there's any way to fix those cracks that won't cost much and is going to last very long.

It appears to me that the ABS is delaminating and that's not going to improve with time.

Some folks have had a degree of success using Gorilla glue and squirted it in using a syringe in order to try and adhere the ABS back to the foam underneath. The thing is, if there's moisture and dirt in there, it's not going to work for long, especially if there's movement causing the ABS to continue to separate.

This is why you see so many members tear off the ABS entirely then coat the foam with Grizzly Grip.

Search some more of the Coleman Roof restoration threads. I'm sure you'll find some good info there.

3. Sheri Stripling

Sheri Stripling New Member

We had the same problem, but we had some really severe cracks that we used
    MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) and Abs (or plastics spoons) to fill the cracks, you can find that here on Tapatalk. After we filled the cracks we sanded it smooth and covered them with several layers of fiberglass. Then used the Grizzly Grip over all of the repairs. Unfortunately we have noticed
    that the small cracks with no fiberglass have reappeared. But the big crack that were fiberglassed have held up. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

[PU] WoW, your pup roof looks amazing after the repairs! Anyways we originally had the same deep corner cracks (in the same spot) and tried to use the solvent with airsoft BB's-but the solvent everyone recommends is not allowed in Ca. so we used paint thinner with limited success. I ended up having to pick, sand, and scrape the mixture off the roof as it didn't adhere very well. Live and learn. My husband was thinking he would rip all the old roof off and cover the whole thing in fiber glass and put Grizzly Grip on top of that. That will be a lot of work, labor of love!

5. johnhenry

johnhenry Member

I just started the process of ripping the ABS off this weekend and coating with Grizzly Grip. The seal was already off when I purchased the camper so that required no work.

Got the roof off in about an hour and a half and put about 2 gallons of the coarse white. There are a couple of spots that would probably be best to patch with fiber glass, but I didn't have the time. 2 gallons wasn't enough for me, but it's probably 80% covered at this point.

We also pulled the A/C unit off and that wasn't tough. I did purchase a new seal for when we put it back on. I'm confident the finished product will be much better than the original roof.

Attached Files:

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

If you don't want to remove the ABS, you can use paintable Eternabond tape under a new layer of Grizzly Grip.

I can't help but notice that your roof doesn't look like any Grizzly Gripped roof I've seen. Are those bumps and spots from the pre-Grizzly Grip repair method you used?

7. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Thanks, I'll look into the Eternabond-I really don't want to take the ABS off! Also, I took the pic in the morning so the bumps are dew drops and lots of dirt.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

8. Sheri Stripling

Sheri Stripling New Member

That solvent MEK is just acetone on steroids. Acetone and cheap white spoons should yield about the same result, it will just take longer to dissolve the spoons. Google The Pop-up Princess and you will get a lot of useful information on how to go about the repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I thought it may be moisture spots, but the more I looked at it, the more I started to question myself. [:D]

Eternabond tape is definitely the easier method, in my opinion. We have it under our Grizzly Grip. Someone else on the forum called for professional advice, and they were told to use the paintable version of the tape.

10. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Oh, OK, I'll try it again. Maybe I just didn't get the consistency correct. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11. webhannet

webhannet Member

I may be Olde Skool. but I think fixing a crappy surface will only lead to more failures - and Grizzly Grip and Eternabond isn't a cheap project with perfect looking results.

Peeling off the old surface may seem like a lot of work, but it's not as bad as watching your repair start to fail. BTW. the spotty finished roof is the foam - the ABS doesn't come off that easily. You can try to fill voids with Marine-Tex, but (again) a poor surface can't yield prefect result. Face it - the base under all your work is FOAM which is not a noble surface.

12. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I used the super glue and baking soda method...it's holding great so far. I've driven the camper over 3000 miles after the repairs. Some of it was some pretty bumpy pavement with some pretty big dips that I'm sure caused the trailer frame and roof to flex some. I put the grizzly grip over the entire top. So far so good. I think that method is easier.