Roof damage

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by ericgregoire, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

So, we got a lot of snow here this year (Ottawa-Gatineau area). Just last week we got 45 cm (18 in) of snow. Well I forgot to remove the snow from my temp shelter and it collapse on the roof of my pop, making a dent in the roof. Any recommendations on how I can fix that? The pop is a 2006 Jayco 1006. In the meantime the pop is now in the garage to avoid any water damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[:!]

Thanks

2. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Eternabond is a quick and dirty fix. Even though it's far from glamorous, I used it permanently on a quarter-sized hole in our roof. 4" wide rolls are pretty pricey but totally effective.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Ouch! Sorry no help on the roof. My old 90's Jayco had an aluminum roof and even though it had many dings it never broke through. It looks like your roof is composed of something different. Good thing you caught it now.

4. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

How big is the area in diameter? Eternabond will seal it but is going to leave a low spot for water to pool. If the area isn't much more than a few inches, I would recommend a square metal cover. Can be cut out of aluminum that is thin and light and then Dicor around the edges and over the screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It seems small. A little Eternabond and dicor may be all you need.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

I wouldn't over think it. Just fill in the little gap and slap some Eternabond on it. Done.

At the end of the day, it's just a roof and nobody ever sees it when you're camping. I'm sure there are ways to do it more attractively, but this way is perfectly effective.

7. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

If you choose the Eternabond route, you can usually buy it by the foot at a good RV supply store. At least you can in my neck of the woods.

8. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

Use a filler to level it. Jb weld worked on my aluminium roof. Then seal or tape over it however you want.

9. ericgregoire

ericgregoire Member

I have found something similar, that I can purchase here in Canada, it's called Rexoseal.

What I will probably be doing is remove a square of ABS around the damage area, replace the foam underneath, cover it with a large square of ABS, then seal it with a patch of Rexoseal.

Thanks for your comments.

10. world traveler

world traveler Active Member

I used sikaflex, which was recommended by starcraft for the roof fix for my trailer. I had a small dent and just filled it in with sikaflex 221 and spread around with soapy water to smooth it out.

11. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member