Roof dent in my new pup !

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by lynnmarie0123, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:43 PM.

1. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Hi im new here!

today i brought my pup home! When i went Last week to see it the first time at the dealer, pup was up. Dealer salesguy is brand new and didnt show me how to lower roof. He said when i come for my walk thru (which was today) the tech would lower it for me. Its a 45 min drive to the dealer. I noticed this dent during the first showing last week FROM INSIDE PUP but couldnt inspect it on the roof till today when the dealer gave me my walk thru and closed it up. So i got on roof today before driving it home. This is the dent (below) from both inside and On the roof. Its a used rig 2015. So tech guy seals it up today with some kind of very strong roof tape. He gave me some to take home. My question is - does this look bad and should i do something more substantial to repair it, other than the roof tape. So inside, i dont think this dent is causing any water leakage. I know this because we had rain recently. But it may just get worse with sun weather etc as time goes by - even though i plan to cover with a breathable cover AND a tarp over that when not in use. Thanks for taking time to help me out!

Attached Files:

2. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Tree limb looks like the culprit.
    I would use some bondo fiberglass...it mixes just like regular bondo with hardener but is more moisture resistant.
    Since u say its not leaking i would do that before it becomes a problem.
    Sand with some 36 grit then 80 grit and finish with 120 grit and cover with some touch up paint.
    Obviously it wont match very well but would look better than a piece of tape slapped over it.
    If u want it to match perfect u will need to paint the whole roof because it is faded for sure.

nectarsis, myride and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  3. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

this is excellent. Thank you‼️‼️

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Something definitely poked a hole in that roof. I would get it repaired/patched in some fashion. Firepit’s suggestion sounds good. I wouldn’t worry too much about how it looks, it is the roof after all. So long as it is watertight I would be fine. If you don’t properly address you willl get water in the roof, which will migrate throughout the ceiling, cause mold and wood rot eventually, and generally make bad things happen.

lynnmarie0123 likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I would make the dealer fix it, there should be a warranty, that is probably the reason the salesman did not let the roof down

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Absolutely, positively, 100%, with no doubt .... THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT your problem. It's the dealer's problem! This wasn't shown to you before hand. The dealer must fix this!

Even so, I would be sticking my fingers down in there and make sure it's not all rotten before I even decided if I wanted to proceed with the purchase.

Ductape and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

OMG, where do you live? You need a big mouth like me to come to this dealer with you! Please don't let yourself be taken advantage of!

starcraft, Sjm9911 and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  8. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Yep. I agree. Im going to adress asap.

9. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Lolololol. I saw the dent roof damage (outside part) AFTER paying for it. I saw the inside part at the first showing. I thought id wait till walkthru a week later (when final payment is made) to inspect this dent further. So during walkthru- tech doesnt lower it till i had paid in full. I come back out and THEN i get shown how to pack it up. At this point i see the dent outside and took that picture. I immediately point it out to the tech doing my walkthru. He walks away to get some roof tape. He covers it up and gives me extra tape. Honestly i had totally forgotten about this dent during walkthru before it was lowered so this is my fault.

10. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

that is not a dent outside - that is a puncture. What tape did the tech put on it. Make sure there is no water damage inside the roof. (check under the roof edge to see if there is any swelling of the side panel near the hole). If there is any swelling of that, that is where the water went and it is damaged. I would insist that it be replaced. As for the tape, if it was Eternabond - that is a great repair for me to do but would be substandard for a dealer repair.

Steveo4090, Ductape and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  11. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

I dont know the name of it as he only came back with a little piece of it but ill take a pic and show you. Its heavy white and has a grey gummy backing. He pulled off the back and stuck it on. I inspected the roof and no swelling. But youre right i should have had dealer fix it properly

12. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

In the OP you said the trailer is used did you get a warranty with it? With the dealer 45min away and so far their fix is tape I would not set my expectations to high. Defiantly worth a call and email to them.
    There are tons of good products out there and youtube videos to help. I would not leave it as a devout, it needs to be filled and leveled with the rest of the roof.

13. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

that sounds like eternabond. I used it for a hole in the roof of my popup when it was pierced by a branch - had a quarter sized hole but no dent on the inside. sealed it good. was still holding when i traded that popup in.

lynnmarie0123 and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Just my opinion here...…… I have to think a puncture in the roof like that would require a roof replacement for a proper fix. This would likely total a 5 yr old pup if insurance were involved. There is no way I would let a dealer get away with trying to hide this from me and sell me the pup at an average price for that year/ make / model pup. I would expect to pay thousands less than fair market value. Like the cost of getting a new roof installed less than fair market value. Furthermore..... a dealership trying to sneak a hole in the roof by you is unbelievable !!!! What kind of gyp joint would do this?

Now, as far as repairing the hole with eternabond, or fiberglass, or something else ……. I might consider one of those a solution and a permanent fix if I'm fixing my own pup that I knowingly bought that way ( or a limb went through it after I already owned it)… but I would only buy a pup with that type of damage CHEAP. I mean really cheap !

Steveo4090 likes this.
  15. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 New Member

I'd have to agree with Ductape above. The dealer took advantage of you imo. At this point they have your money and probably sold it to you "as is" so getting them to do anything will be difficult at best. A dent is one thing but a full puncture in the roof should have been disclosed to you before they ever started the sale paperwork with you. Very dishonest and shady business.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    lynnmarie0123, myride and Blackripley like this.
  16. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Yes shady business practice. This dealer is not to be trusted.

However, she bought and paid for the pop up already. And as has been said on here, using a piece of eternabond tape on that puncture is a functional repair. So no need to make the OP feel any worse about the purchase. Scum bag dealer took advantage of an inexperienced buyer. Not the buyers fault!

With the eternabond “repair” she can use and enjoy the camper as is. And she should, without feeling bad about it. Wiser perhaps, but not bad.

17. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I agree..... it's all about the dealer, not about lynnmarie0123 in any way. It's incredibly dishonest, what the dealer did. I agree, eternabond or a similar repair is relatively permanent and makes the pup perfectly usable in every way. With that in mind, it's time to go camping !!

lynnmarie0123 and Steveo4090 like this.
  18. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Before the full roasting of the dealer, I would give them a chance to make it right. Now making it right could be full-on repair with panel replace, proper fill and patch, or refund some of the purchase price.
    A smarter person than me once told me "a good deal is where everyone walks away happy".

19. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Dealer knew the roof puncture was there and didn’t let her see it when she was looking at the camper. Definitely not an “oops” on their part.

20. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Yes the dealer put on a piece of Eternabond roof seal i think its called. My mechanic stepson described to me last night how to do what you just recomended. Fill it sand it level it with rest of roof....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020 at 1:00 PM