Roof end reinforcements getting wet on 2005 Palomino

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Lost in Space, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

I read through the hundreds of posts about leaking roofs and didn't spot this one, so bear with me. My 2005 Palomino Pony leaks at both ends. Water has gotten in when camper is closed and has wicked up into the end boards inside the roof, and they are rotting. I assure you that ALL the joints of the camper roof are absolutely sealed and there are NO possible ways that water is getting in that way. When it rains it appears water is infiltrating the seals between the roof and lower part of the camper. Then it is wicking up into the wood.I have no idea how to stop this, except maybe totally replacing these seals, which means undoing the 4 cornerr roof pieces to slide out old seals and put in new ones. If this is my only option, is this stuff available anywhere other than the dealer.

Thanks for any help,
    Dana

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

An easy way to check is Duct tape the top and body together and spray the roof with water. If it stays dry you will know it is the roof/body gasket.

3. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Hey Dana,

Do you have a awning on the camper? Possible water entry point there. I've learned from experience that intact looking caulk also leaks. I found my mystery leak to be coming from the fantastic fan gasket. It appeared perfect but the entire caulk line was not sealed to the roof, just the plastic frame. You could actually pick up the caulk line on the roof side but it stuck to the frame of the fan.

Hope this helps!

4. gunther

gunther CPL USMC

are the roof latches on the same sides as your leak ? if so on my 2000 palomino the screws holding the latches on were causing a leak, i wold check them they might need some weather sealing. in my case i removed them and sealed the holes up and put my latches on the side of the camper like the front ones are on mine. i used Eternabond

5. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

I have an '05 Pony also... I'm actually standing next to it as I type this with the laptop on its roof... I don't see any possible way that water could wick up in reverse from the seal, unless your roof has a totally different design than mine. There's a trim piece that overhangs down below the lower portion... unless you're spraying water up from below I can't see how rain would get inside here.

I'm attaching a pic of mine just for comparison:

[​IMG]

I would double, triple, then quadruple check your caulk lines... there's a lot of joints on that roof that need proper caulking.

6. Lost in Space

OK, I've had this leak for a couple of years. Recaulked everything with RV caulk, and it didn't help much. So, last week I sprayed every darn caulked seam on the upper half of the camper with a spray flexible rubber product. No, not FlexSeal, that product gets mostly one stars on Amazon. I used another brand that was getting 4 and 5 stars from almost all reviewers. It looks like that was going to fix everything. Worked fantastic. No way, anything is getting in through the outside seams. So, that eliminates all those caulked seams as the problem.

Tfischer - mine looks exactly like yours, and I agree that, even in a small shower, water should not be getting in through there.
    The wood is wicking water from the bottom to the top. So, now, my only conclusion is that the seal between the top outer edge and the mating surface (aluminum) that it seals against is the culprit.

Gunther - Anything on the outside that required caulk was sprayed with a heavy coat of the flexible rubber.

Raycfe - Great idea, will do that tomorrow. Eliminating variables one by one is the way to go. Hadn't thought of this. Thanks.

Mercman - Awning gave up its last trip last year. Sealed around there too.

Also, I can't remove the rotten wood as it would totally screw up the outer skin of the roof in those areas. Isn't there a product that is supposed to be applied to somewhat rotten wood and it makes it extremely hard and solid? Does anyone know about this? I saw an ad many years ago.

7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Is it possible it's leaking on another part of the roof, running down the rubber seal, and wicking up at the back? I just don't see how rain could get under that little overhang trim as shown in my pic. That rubber shouldn't be getting wet at all unless rain is coming up from the ground.

I like the suggestion of sealing up the whole thing with duct tape or a good packing tape, and hosing down the roof (I'd forgo a nozzle and just pour gallons of water out of the end of a hose right on the roof, concentrating at the caulked seams). Then open it right back up and look for water intrusion.

8. Lost in Space

I can't figure it out either. The roof is totally sealed. ANYTHING that had caulking now has several coats of flexible rubber sealant over it. Trust me, that is not leaking. I can't believe that water is somehow getting under the camper lips, and migrating up into the wood. Makes no sense. But I am going to solve it!!!! Tomorrow is the duct tape trials, and we will see what happens

9. joejoe27

joejoe27 New Member

check out this youtube video, im running into the same problem. gonna try the repair this weekend will update.
    https://youtu.be/NNWdyddc10g

10. edh

edh Active Member

There are hardeners that you can use, followed by epoxy, that can fix some wood rot problems. Note that hardware store products are not structural; they fill voids find for cosmetic purposes but are not designed to hold lift arms bolts, etc. There should be an excerpt on what's involved here (if I have up loaded my photo correctly).

[​IMG]

Here's link to one product: http://conservepoxy.com/

You may also have to do surgery and replace bad wood with good. A less satisfactory option might be to sister good wood inside the bad, install a metal repair plate, etc.

11. edh

edh Active Member

a second try at posting a picture:

[​IMG]

12. edh

edh Active Member

This may be a dumb question, but did you also seal the trim strip where the roof screws to the sideboards? And every seam on the roof?

Leaks can be a PIA to sort out, water can move every which way once inside.

Also, check the floor carefully for dampness, and inside the cupboards, too; if water got to your side boards it could have made it further into the camper.