Roof gasket replacement tips, please?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by heathdavis, Jul 4, 2011.

1. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

So I spent most of the holiday weekend replacing the wood on the roof section of the garage-sale Jayco. All that's left is to finish putting on new roof gasket. I ordered the gasket from Cunningham Campers (they were very helpful).

Does anyone have any tricks or tips for getting the new gasket into the aluminum track? I've been using my fingers and a the tip of a flat screwdriver to push it into the track and it is taking forever. Is there any better way?

Thanks. :)

Ann

2. nomoretent

nomoretent Member

We will be doing the same sometime this week. I hope someone posts some good tips. Maybe baby oil? I have a pair of round tipped needle nose plyers I use for beading I was planning to try. Post whatever works. Good luck!

3. bruceac1

bruceac1 Member

You might try the tool that is used to put window screens back into the groove. It has two wheels, one at each end. One is convex and the other is concave. The convex end is used to push the screen down into the frame groove while the concave is used to press the rubber seal into the groove. It works great on replacing window screens, both nylon and metal. It should be very useful in forcing the roof gasket back in. There might be a larger version for the roof gasket. The tool I described can be purchased at W*Mart or any hardware store.

4. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

I know what you mean- it's called a "spline tool"-- I think it would be too narrow for the roof gasket, though. But maybe there *is* something similar and wider tool out there?

5. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Well, I never found any magic tricks for putting on the gasket easily, but I eventually got it done.

I found the easiest way (still very slow) was to sort of angle the gasket to "hook" one side under the inside lip of the Aluminum strip, then push the opposite side in and down with the blade of a small screwdriver. I needed to hook about a foot or two of the inside edge under the strip before working on the outside edge with the screwdriver. It took awhile, but it's done.