Roof latch pulling on trim

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by erich82, May 23, 2019.

1. erich82

erich82 Active Member

20190523_161655.jpg I've run into a small issue on our new popup. When I closed it up last night, the front roof latch seems to have pulled the roof side trim piece down, causing the sealant to crack. It's almost as if the latch grab piece was put too close to the trim. Anyone else encounter this?

The dealer needs to replace the roof anyways, so I'm not too worried about fixing it right away, but should I be concerned with a lot of water getting there?

Its pouring right now so I attached a picture I found line for reference and circled where it separated a bit, maybe 1/8 inch.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

You didn't say why the dealer needed to replace the roof, but I have to assume it is due to water intrusion and rot. The roof latch has probably pulled down to the trim, due to lost support where it is attached. I would caulk it to keep any more water from getting in. Once the sun comes out, it heats the water and pushes it further into the wood. I would strap the front of the roof down, if I had to tow it. If the latch failed and air got under a leading edge, it could turn into a sail.

3. erich82

erich82 Active Member

The camper is brand new (2019) and during the PDI the dealer noticed the roof had delaminated in the interior. It's been ordered, but it takes awhile for Jayco to send it out. There is definately no rot. I just think that it was installed too close to the trim. I'm afraid to replace it as I don't want to cause any warranty issues. I think I'll just add some caulking over it this weekend.