Roof question pre purchase - Dutchmen

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by tw12, Feb 25, 2017.

1. tw12

tw12 New Member

We are looking at this camper - Dutchmen classic. It's in decent shape except for a damaged side panel on one side of the roof. Is anyone familiar with this type of issue and how extensive of a fix it would be? He's asking 1500 for it, has all the amenities we need and for generally decent for the price...but we're not the handiest of people so want to make sure this isn't over my head. Thanks for any advise!

Attached Files:

2. 4my2girls

4my2girls New Member

Not sure.. it almost looks like the seal that goes around the roof needs to be resealed?. Check and see if there is a cocking lines on top and below of the one inch strip that is on top of that pink damage area in picture. If that's the area your talking about. It may not be pretty but with waterproofing and paint you can fix it.
    In the picture it does look beat up but if the vinyl, canvas and screen is all with no rips holes or tears and when open and inside you don't see and water damage on the roof or water damage under the trailer floor.. also press on the floor inside and inside of the cabinet all should be solid and not weak... If the over all inspection comes out to your liking and you feel you can fix what you can on you own or ... also go to your local rv deal they might have a service department, ask them if they can fix your trailer. And what's needed and cost per hour. If you have the funds to pay someone since your not handy they maybe able to give you a general idea on what they can fix and make it look like new.
    Most important is water Damage inside and under the trailer itself and leaking while camping.. any water inside isn't good and will make any trip horrible. How are you storing it when not in use. Covering it up or keeping in a garage will help with further damage.

3. 4my2girls

4my2girls New Member

Wow looked at the picture closer.. sorry for previous poat.. I wouldn't buy this.. a pop up need that roof to be solid and strong for it to all hold up when open. I just wouldnt.. I'd keep looking there are so many out there.. sorry good luck