Roof rack for small boat to clear roof AC unit

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Jethrine, May 27, 2019.

1. Jethrine

Jethrine New Member

Just bought a 2008 Fleetwood Cobalt and need to put a rack on it for a 14' sailboat that weighs 120 pounds, it is too wide to fit beside the AC. Is there an off the shelf solution for a tall roof rack? Is there somewhere I can find info about what is inside the roof as far as structure?

I found a set of low profile aluminum pickup ladder racks that will just clear the AC unit (14" legs) that look like they would work. I don't have any reservations about my ability to come up with a leakproof and secure mounting for this rack as long as the roof itself will accept the load (when closed).

This is my first camper and hope to learn from others experience/mistakes.

[​IMG]

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm not 100% sure if your roof is fiberglass or the alumitite roof. In either case the roof is comprised of a sandwich of luan, foam and whatever outer coating they used. Essentially the only bracing would be the ends and the AC brace. So if you were to go the route of using the truck raised rails I would screw them on the ends as that is where your roof is going to be the strongest. As far as the weight, I'm not sure what the max weight would be if you do have fiberglass. I believe the papers said the maximum roof load in a travel position was 300# on my alumitite roof.

Jethrine and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Opps forgot to add something. You also have to consider the max weight on your camper axle. So if you pack everything for camping you do not want to overload your axle. So you will have to weigh the camper when your all packed up ready to go on your trip, less the boat so you know how much you have to play with.

Jethrine and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

And also add in the weight of the ac, so that make the carrying weight much less.

Jethrine likes this.
  5. Jethrine

Jethrine New Member

Thanks, it is aluminum outer skin... the awning blew over the roof last night and punctured it slightly. Was thinking the awning ought to have some guys at the corners when I set it up :(

We'll definitely keep it light, lockers not loaded down with heavy stuff and gear all in the truck.

Is there normally solid wood or significant metal in the vertical sides of the roof? The ends are sloped slightly and would complicate mounting there.

6. Sjm9911

I dont have your make model canper, but i will say , i dont think any have solid wood in them.

Jethrine likes this.
  7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Any way to put racks on the tow vehicle? That's a lot of weight considering you already have an AC Unit on the camper. And if you're saying you want to mount that rack system from the pickup truck you have pictured, I wouldn't. The camper does not have hard points like the pickup.

Jethrine likes this.
  8. Jethrine

Jethrine New Member

Spent some time looking yesterday, it does look as if there is no good way to mount anything solidly to this roof. Feel like I got lucky last weekend not damaging anything when I strapped a kayak and a SUP on top.

I have put boats on top of my tow vehicle (Expedition) but it is pretty tall and kind of risky when I do it alone. Rack on camper would be at least a foot lower.

I think I will need to go with 4 removable posts mounted to front frame and rear bumper with crossbars on the posts. So much for off the shelf solutions.

9. Sjm9911

You could always add a sort of roller to the back suport of the truck? To make it better to load and unload, or just get an inflatable. I have a cheapo kyack thing, its not bad for just crusing around.