Roof racks / bike racks Pics?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by TimmyG, May 29, 2012.

1. TimmyG

TimmyG New Member

I'm wanting to put a roof rack/ bike rack on my pup. I plan on doing something custom and light weight.
    I've been searching for pics and info on what others have done and thought it would be nice to have a thread with pics and ideas on pre made and or custom pup friendly roof racks.

So what kind of racks does everyone use?
    Have you seen some cool ones while camping or on the road?

Timmy

2. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

We got our rack off Craigslist and I think it was originally intended to go on the roof of a vehicle. We modified it for the PUP and couldn't be happier. I also attached carpeting to the bottom of the boards to protect from scratching the roof. The only downfall is it takes two people to set the rack on and take it off, since we mount the two inboard bikes before we set it on. I'm not willing to crawl on top of the PUP to attach the bikes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

The first rack I used on my camper. bought in 1974, and used on my Dad's Chevy Vega.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second rack is just a used rooftop cargo box, I got off a local car club member.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ggoodman

ggoodman New Member

i dont know what more awesome the car or the camper.

5. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I'm in the process of building my rack. I should have it together by the end of this weekend, depending on weather. I'm using 1" conduit and upright bike bike racks.

BTW, there's a whole other board down below for cargo carriers, bike racks and other storage options.

6. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I've built two racks for my PU's over the years. They were based on PVC pipe. Easy to work with and reasonably priced. Both were for Coleman/Fleetwood models, so I attached them using the factory rails on the roof.

The first was for my 2006 Sun Valley. See the photo below.

[​IMG]

The second was for my 2008 Niagara. I found the Swagman bike trays on Overstock.com for $100 for all 4. Couldn't pass it up. This simplified the PVC rack. While it can hold 4 bikes, only had two loaded in the photo below.

[​IMG]

Both racks also have a built in flag holder and antenna mast support.

More photos on my webshots site.

Hope this helps,
    JR

7. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

The one that I'm building is a lot like the one that jrclocks built for the Niagara. The exceptions are I didn't feel like PVC would be strong enough for 4 bikes and when I bought the upright racks, Overstock was out of stock, so I bought them off Ebay, all 4 for about $120 shipped.

8. opnorty

opnorty New Member

Here is what I came up with. My initial goals were to create a rack that could be used with leaving the front wheel on the bikes since I have a couple young kids. Their bikes don't have quick release front wheels, so I didn't want to deal with that. I started with the concept of a pro-rack system, but added front wheel supports. I don't have any great pics, but I think you get the idea. More are available by clicking on the camera in my signature.

[​IMG]

9. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

I clicked your camera... but could not find the rack pictures... are they in a particular place?

10. opnorty

opnorty New Member

There should be an album for bike racks. They are mostly drawings, though. It seems like there used to be more pictures out there. The next time we are heading out, I will add some more to the album.

11. TimmyG

TimmyG New Member

OH MY.. [:O] ... I looked all over this site for info on roof racks... at least I thought I did. I guess I missed a section.
    Thanks for posting the link. It was a huge help.
    Thanks everyone for posting pics. I like all the good ideas. Keep them coming.

12. TimmyG

TimmyG New Member

Thanks for moving this to the correct forum.

I think it would be nice to have a photo thread with pics of their roof racks and bike racks with a brief description and a link to their build thread. Especially if it is a custom built one. This way people wouldn't have to read through several pages of random threads to find one they like. Kinda like a quick reference guide.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

13. PDieter

PDieter Member

14. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

15. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Here's a couple of pictures of my rack. It was modified from an Ancient Yakima car roof rack that orginally mounted to the old style drip rails. Cost was $5.00 at a garage sale and included the kayak cradles. It was only 58" wide so I cut it half and used sections of a roof snow rake to widen it (also $5.00 at a garage sale). The roof rake sections had those pop lock buttons alreay installed to lock the center tubes in place. I had to fabricate the plates to mount to the roof tracks in the PUP and the bolt plates (these can be purchased through Yakima but it was cheaper to make them).
    [​IMG]
    Loaded and headed for Lake Hudson last Labor Day
    [​IMG]

16. mr pep

mr pep Member

Really the fact that the rack does not make contact with your roof. I have a Coleman 1996 with ABS roof and although I have no cracks on the roof I am very cautious and would not dare to place anything on the roof. Wish I could find something like yours compatible with my Coleman.

17. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

Here's mine. I put it on roof 5 or 5 yrs ago and it's been great. I can put 4 bikes or 2 bikes and a kayak. When I put the kayak on, I cover the 2 center bike trays with foam pipe insulation (or pool swim noodles) where they come in contact with the yak to protect it.
    Found it at a tent sale an RV dealer was having for $100. barely used. I see similar ones at yardsales for similar prices a few times a year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]