Roof repair -- Denver,CO area

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by msturtz, Mar 8, 2014.

1. msturtz

msturtz New Member

Hi--

I have a '97 Viking, the "25th anniversary Edition". I got it last summer. It's perfect for our family. Its a little older, but it seemed to be in great shape -- all new canvas, tires, clean water tank, etc.

I've noticed that the corners of the roof where the latches attach, two of them are pulling away, and the aluminum skin is "tearing". I looked in there, and can see obvious signs of water damage behind the skin. See image below -- the opposite corner isn't as bad, and the other two appear to be fine.

I called Ketelesen Campers, and they told me they don't work on anything over 10 years old, he said he would cost more to repair than the camper is worth, and then had the nerve to suggest I post on Craigslist under "Gigs" to find somebody that would do it. :huh: I called Five-Star RV, my dad bought a truck camper from them many years ago and has been happy with them, but they told me they're slammed and to call after 1-Apr.

This experience reminds me of dealing with taking my 1994 motorcycle to Foothills BMW -- they said "We'll take it if we're slow, but not in the summer, its too old". I've since found a great *independent* shop for the bike. Is there even such a thing for campers and RV's, or are they all dealerships???

Any recommendations for places to call or people that might fix this up for me would be much appreciated. I've read about applying spray-on bed liner to the roof, and I'd totally be game for that, too.

The other problem is the roof vent is cracked from age. I'm pretty sure I could replace that myself, but if I'm taking it somewhere, I'd have them do that too -- I'd like a powered fan rather than what's in there now.

-Matt-

2. msturtz

msturtz New Member

New link to my photo:
    [​IMG]

And the second one, not as bad
    [​IMG]

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Contact the parts dept at Forest River RV. You can get then to ship you new sideboards. Shouldn't cost too much either. That's the way I'd go were I in your shoes. Much less work than trying to build new ones and you know they'll look great too.
    You'll need the make, model, year and VIN number when you call.

Replacing a roof vent is pretty simple, you can even save a pile of cash by adding a 300cfm computer fan and switch like I did. Check out my thread here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=73324

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

4. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

I don't suggest the truck bed liner.. that is just a band aid to the real problem. We had to do a roof rebuild for the same issues. When we got the roof apart I was dumbfounded at how much rot there was and was thankful that the roof never came down on us. Just a few months before we had taken a trip to the beach and encountered very windy conditions. We consider ourselves LUCKY!! Once the side boards are replaced then truck bed liner for a seal is a good idea. We couldn't find any one to do ours so we did it ourselves... Its not pretty but its functional!

5. msturtz

msturtz New Member

Hi all, thanks for the replies...

Perhaps I should have posted in "roof repair". I don't have any problem doing this myself, as I would consider myself reasonably handy, but I've also never done it. Electrical and plumbing are no problem for me, but getting the roof apart and replacing these two side-boards, even if they're pre-fabricated, is something else entirely. :) I posted in this particular category because I was thinking I'd get somebody to do it.

Great idea. I wouldn't think they'd still have parts for a 97, especially the Viking line they don't appear to even make anymore, but it definitely can't hurt to try.

Yeah, the vent itself is fine as it relates to the roof. The plastic part that crank up is badly cracked, it won't even stay attached as the "hinge" is broken. I wanted to replace it with a whole new unit that has a fan, like this one from Amazon for $155. On low, its 478 CFM, and uses 1.86 amps.

Hi bandc12,
    I agree, but part of the problem is I don't know how bad the problem even is, since all I can actually see are these side-boards. I'm the third owner, and the first two owners (so I was told) kept it garaged when not in use. The skin has surface cracks, but I *think* they're just in the paint. The corners are plastic, and also show surface cracks. My guess is the flat part of the roof is fine, but the corners are leaking a bit. I would further guess that this has been a long-standing problem, because its only been rained on once, lightly, since I've owned it. My point is, sealing the entire surface certainly won't hurt anything, but it clearly won't solve my problem. Do they make that product in white?

6. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

Can you put the roof up and take down part of the canvas on the inside to get a better look? We have and 86 scamper and once you take the canvas off you could see the plywood sides of the roof.

7. RkyMountainRose

RkyMountainRose Member

Nolan's RV on 64th and Federal has been amazing to us. They completely replaced the lift system in our '94 just a couple of years ago, for a decent price and a reasonable amount of time. It may be worth a call. 303-429-6114

8. msturtz

msturtz New Member

Thanks for the tip, these guys were super friendly and helpful. I took the PUP there today, saw Cindy, and her estimator (didn't get his name) came out and looked at it. Had to wait a few minutes, a guy from Michigan was there with is 50-some foot 5th-wheel -- some electrical problem, sounded like a bad converter.

Anyway, they are estimating 5 hours each side, plus materials, total bill would be $1,140. I didn't ask, but should have, if this is a not-to-exceed, or a bid. The guy said the rest of the roof looks to be in good shape, said its a "nice trailer". I'll take it, on a 97.

Does $1,140 seem like a decent price for this kind of work? 5 hours for each side-panel seems like a lot of time, however, nobody else I called would even look at a 1997.

9. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I dont know in your area, well I would not know in my area either since I do all the work myself, but that is a lot of money.... I did a quick check and seems that popup average price is under $3k... Are you going to pay 1 third of the value of your popup just to fix that? Are they replacing the entire roof?
    It is your choice but im about to feel dizzy here. I think almost any handyman can fix that for a 10th of what they quote you.
    My 2 cents that are not worth much....