Roof repair on 1980s Coleman Redwood...is it worth it???

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by craftyone, Nov 16, 2014.

1. craftyone

craftyone New Member

Hi all!! My husband and I recently aquired a 80s Coleman Redwood. I'm *thinking* that it is a 1982 based on the VIN...but not 100% sure because it was covered in paint and hard to read. When we were transporting it to our house, we noticed that the roof looked kinda saggy...and come to find out when we opened it and were able to go inside, we could see that the ceiling is extremely rotten from a leak.

[​IMG]

My husband and I are both pretty handy...but I am still worried that this project will be over our heads (pun not intended lol) and might cost us an arm and a leg.

Also, (I know this is not roof related) there is a rather large tear/hole in the canvas near the top and some spots throughout where it seems to be wearing a bit thin. I'm thinking i can patch it but not exactly sure what materials to use.

Here's the tear/hole:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here are the thin areas:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I am very excited and ready to work on this project, but seeing these issues is very disheartening. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! :)

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Welcome! [:D]
    Was it free? Why didn't you open it b4?

3. craftyone

craftyone New Member

Yes, it was free. It has been sitting in the woods, so we weren't able to raise it up then. My husband originally wanted to scrap the entire thing and just use the trailer frame, but I was hoping that there was a chance that it was fixable.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

This page sells canvas & vinyl patch kits plus lots of other parts. They may even have a replacement roof. In MOI you have nothing to lose by putting some work into a pup you got for free. I just got back from a 5 day trip with one that I got for free and repaired. I still have stuff to fix but it is useable. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. http://colemanpopupparts.com/cart

5. craftyone

craftyone New Member

Ok, thanks!! I will check out the website because there are definitely some parts that need to be replaced.

As far buying a replacement roof...that would be nice if we could do that, but unfortunately that is way out of our budget. I am really looking forward to working on this and making it our own, but I'm at a loss on what to do about the roof. I'm not worried about it looking perfect...just usable.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If you are handy and have a place to work, you probably can cope with it. Caution: repairs usually end up costing more than budgeted - speaking after renovating a 1984 Palomino a few years back.

As to canvas: before trying to repair it, make sure it is not rotten as a whole. As some point, many/most/all fabrics get so worn or rotten that there is nothing strong enough to hold a patch. If that is the case with your pup, you may need to reassess trying to fix both roof and canvas (new canvas purchase is around $1000) ; how is the floor and the rest of the pup? Also budget for new tires, maybe wheels, and wheel bearings.
    For repairing the canvas, also check Canvas Replacements (they have an eBay store too). For sewing patches, some have had success using this: http://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitcher-T200-Sewing-Awl/dp/B000HGIJQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416256185&sr=8-1&keywords=sewing+awl+speedy+stitcher
    I bought ours on Amazon, but have seen them at Hobby Lobby, in the leather dept.
    Any patching will need to be treated for water repellancy, but at this point, you'll need to do that to the canvas as a whole anyway.
    Read through this area for other ideas on the canvas:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=56.0

And renovations:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=160.0

7. craftyone

craftyone New Member

Thanks for the suggestions and help!!

Yes, we do have an area to work on it. I'm thinking we will be able to tackle the roof...or at least I hope [;)]. We already knew that the outside of the roof would have to be repaired and sealed. On the side where the water damage is, you can see where someone tried to patch it on the outside, but it obviously has not held up over the years. I have done some research on how to go about that and my husband was planning on sealing it with something like Rhino Liner.

The canvas as a whole is surprisingly in decent condition. It isn't brittle or anything. The only issues that i have really seen with it is the hole and the pinpoint thin areas. And actually, it rained here today. I checked inside and the roof is leaking, but I couldn't find anywhere that the canvas had been leaking.

As for the floor and the rest, they seem to be in pretty decent condition. I haven't noticed any soft spots in the floor. The countertop needs to be replaced, but again I was already planning on replacing that. We also just put new wheels on before we moved it over to our house.

8. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

Congrats on the NTU PUP.....Seeing how it was free, take some time and start looking into the rebuild/repair of it....remember there are alot of people here that have had to do the same things you are about to jump into...take a look at some of the repair/mod posts and see what they did before you try it. I have learned a lot from those who have come before me [:D] As for your canvas, you might want to check into www.bearcreekcanvas.com they are located in central Wisconsin and are also one of this sites sponsors.....yes i know the price is up there (over $800.00) but you PUP was free. If you do get to the point of ordering a new canvas mention to them your part of the popup-portal family....its nice for them to know they are reaching people on this site and will continue to support us and the site with advertising.

On to a darker side of this post [:(] If you are going to "scrap" the PUP and just use the frame PLEASE try and salvage some of the items. Things like the sink/stove/water tanks/pumps/electrical there are some parts that are hard to find and people here would be more than willing to pay for the items and shipping just to have them........

either way you decide we are here for you!!! :)