Roof Repair & re-paint using Grizzly Grip

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by grcooperjr, Jun 20, 2009.

1. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

What a fun day. Just got thru with my Camp host duty's for today so I thought I'd get this post done......

A while back I noticed some cracking on the roof of my E3. It was over each lite and the CO detector. (here are some pic's)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These cracks have allowed water to penetrate and do some minor damage before it was caught. Fleetwood/Coleman did approve a replacement roof, but it was going to cost me $1500 plus in freight to get it here.

Well, I could not afford the freight, so I had to do the repair. I searched hi and lo and found the company that makes the panels for the RV industry. Crane Composites
    The link above shows the process to repair the damage to the fiberglass.

After repairing the fiberglass, now it's paint time. That proved to be a bit of a challenge. Not a lot of good info on what works well. After digging a bit I was able to determine that urethanes were by far the best and lasted the longest to other coatings. The one negative was most urethanes on the market to the consumer have a long dry time. so I started looking for a catalyzed urethane that had a good track record and the colors I need to match. After all was said Grizzly Grip was the only folks that had the product to fit my needs. I got 2 gals of paint, fine texture, in Battleship Gray. It came with catalyst and UV additive. I also got some sealer to seal the top at the end of the season this year. Total cost for materials was $210 shipped to Portland.

To prep the surface, I used Scotchbrite to abrade the surface and followed up with a washing with xyleene. After all was preped, I used the provided paint rollers to apply the paint. Each coat takes just under one gallon for a 12 foot roof. It drys to the touch in around a hour at 75 degs and 40% humidty.

The process of painting took around 6 hours to prep and paint. The repair of the cracks took me a bit longer to get it the way I wanted it to be.

Any way that's about it. The pictures below is the finshed job. The last 2 pictures are close ups of 2 of the 4 affected areas that were repaired. Kinda of gives you a idea of the texture after repair and painting......

Hope it helps a bit.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. emssmiley2002

emssmiley2002 Florence,Ms

Very nice work grcooperjr! [:D]

3. omit

omit New Member

Looks great. I have some of the same cracking on mine. I will use your repair techniques.

Great Job! Thanks for sharing the info!

4. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Ray,

That looks great. I ended up just hitting my roof with another coat of Rust-o-leum this year - $8.00 and about an hour's work [:D]

I am going to invest in some coating like yours next year. The old roof is getting some pits and dents.....something like that will make her look new again (or better!).

Later!

5. andillyo

andillyo '08 Jayco 1008

I have a roof rebuild to do in my near future, I have been contemplating many ideas here on the forum and this one looks like a good solution to sealing the roof up tight. I am wondering about using my original skin and then just prepping like was metioned before and using this right over it. Looks very nice the way you did it, love your pop up too. [:D]

6. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Well....

If the skin is intact, I'd say yes it would work. I'd start by using a good caulk and seal all the seams. Prep the surface and prime any areas that need it. Then wash it down with a solvent like xylene or MEK.

(Note: I suggest using gloves with the solvent. Xylene can cause chemical burns to some sensitive folks.(like Me) but it is a really good prep solvent.)

Mask it off well and put down paper on areas that you don't want paint on. If you roll it out to fast it will splatter, making for a fun clean up. Xylene will take off any spatter that has not fully dried.

The painting is the easy part. Just mix a little at a time. On mine, it took a gallon per coat. with a hour between coats. I'd suggest getting 2 extra rollers and discard em between coats. They don't clean well and the paint dries quickly once exposed to the air has high humidity or if the catalyst is used.

The Folks at Grizzly can tell you how much material is needed for your roof to get two coats. and don't buy the paint untill needed. The avg life once mixed and put into a sealled container and shiped to you is around a month.

7. andillyo

andillyo '08 Jayco 1008

Ray-
    Thanks for the good advice on how to go about it. One more question for you, did you use the aromatic or the aliphatic polyurethane? I am thinking of going with dove grey for my color and they say on the site to use the aliphatic which flexes less than the aromatic. See any problems with that? I have a feeling that roof flexes quite a bit so the less flexy might not be so good unless it bonds quite well. Thanks Ray. :)

8. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Howdy....

I went with the aliphatic polyurethane because it is more UV stable. When we do our normal camping we spend alot of tine in the desert and UV exposure is a big issue.

Here is what they have to say about it....

"Aliphatic polyurethane are 100% UV protected and also bring the highest form of chemical resistance to the table. You can go with white without having it turn yellow at all. The drawback of this coating is the flexibility. They are not as flexible as the aromatics, but in certain industries flexibility is not needed, such as boat decks and walkways. Another factor is the cost, Aliphatic polyurethane run about $13.00 more per gallon, but if you add in the cost of buying UV protection for the aromatic, it only comes down to $4.00 more per gallon."

9. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Here's a bit of a update....

Crane Composites changed around their site and bit and moved their repair instructions. Here's a new link

Lastly. This season will be the third since I did the repair. It has held up well but the paint has faded alot from UV exposure.

10. marioec

marioec New Member

Hi Ray,
    How is the roof holding up any updates ? I'm getting ready to fix one spot on my EVO E3 roof about the size of .25 cents first then I will like to give it two coatings of Grizzly Grip. Did you use the paint only or did yoy get it with the rubber in it.

Thanks in advance for the help !!

Mario

11. marioec

marioec New Member

also I forgot to ask...Did you remove the black awning rails and conrers before doing your Evo ?

12. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Well.....

This is the 3rd season and it still is OK. The paing has lost a bit of luster from the UV but othere than that it's GREAT....

I did not remove the mounting rails during the prep. I just masked em off. After painting I rans a razor blade on the edge before removing the tape.

13. marioec

marioec New Member

Which coating did you used in the Evo ? I see they have three types of coating Fine, Course, and No rubber.

14. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

I did the fine texture

15. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

grcooperjr,

Your roof repair looks great! Thank you for the info. I have the same problem on my Rockwood but could not find any information from owners about the success of their repairs. I made temporary repairs over the winter with 3M-5200. I'll start looking into a a repair like yours soon.

16. Bombay Beach

Bombay Beach New Member

This is my next project. If you have done this repair, do you suggest the Battleship grey or dove grey? Leaning towards battleship with the reported fading?

17. bnalley

bnalley New Member

Nice! Did mine today

18. cma7777

cma7777 Member

[CAM] [CAM] Picks Please! [CAM] [CAM]

19. marioec

marioec New Member

A pic will be nice :)

20. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Hey Gang.... Pics that I took are at the beginning of the post.

As to the color... Battleship gray matches the color the roof was born with. In hindsight, I thing white would be better for me. Most of our camping is done in the desert in no shade. It would sure help reduce the heat load.