Roof Replacement has Commenced

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by KittyCO, Aug 10, 2019.

1. KittyCO

KittyCO New Member

Removal complete! I'm printing out lots of pictures and writing measurements on them. I'm also going to try and save as many pieces as possible to use as templates for the new stuff.

Hoping to reuse the outer skin.

You can see the alien slime growing on the one side, which prompted this whole endeavor. I'll have to figure out how to clean a little of that off the canvas that got on there when the camper was closed.

IMG_20190810_094117.jpg

IMG_20190810_095329.jpg

IMG_20190810_100618.jpg

IMG_20190810_112452.jpg

IMG_20190810_112511.jpg

2. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Hard work but the pride and satisfaction is worth it. :) It will be better than new when you're finished.

McFlyfi and KittyCO like this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Nice! I like the labeled baggies, great idea.

Orchid and KittyCO like this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try to save the old skin as new skin is cheap and easily obtainable

5. KittyCO

KittyCO New Member

Is it? That would be good because there's so much caulk and rusty edges on the existing one... I will probably not save it now.

Would you happen to have a link to a supplier?

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Any large trailer (18 wheeler) repair shop would have it on rolls. It is used for road trailer roofing

7. KittyCO

KittyCO New Member

Roof re-build has re-commenced. We were out of town for a bit, then involved in another project.

I managed to get it all apart and save a few pieces for templates. Also salvaged the metal rim that connects with the rest of the camper when closed.

I'm having a really hard time finding lumber stock that's close to the original size pieces. Some of it I can rip myself but the side pieces really need to be close to the same as before. The trouble is they're only 1/2 inch deep, but just a little over 8 foot long and just a little over 8 inches wide. :(

Going to try all the lumber yards in town. [sigh]

ALSO, any ideas on where I can get the styrofoam for the round edge? Photo below.

Thanks!

sides.png

styrofoam.png

AlexVanEks likes this.
  8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

You could make the Styrofoam curve out of wood. It would be a lot stronger.

9. KittyCO

KittyCO New Member

I'm not sure I'm that talented. LOL

I've considered filling up the space with that spray foam gap-filler and letting it dry completely, then shaping that as best I can.

10. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

I'm getting ready for my own version of this very project. Eager to see how you go about it!

KittyCO likes this.
  11. Mamma Noodleman

Mamma Noodleman New Member

Were you able to find the lumber? I am having trouble with this myself.

12. KittyCO

KittyCO New Member

Nope.

The top frame has to be 1 inch deep so that the styrofoam and the lumber are flush on the inside and outside. No such thing as 1-inch lumber.

I got a nice piece of 2x10 from the local big box lumber yard and I'm borrowing a table saw today to rip it into seven 1-inch pieces for the frame. I plan to build the new frame right on top of the old frame as a template.

Got a sheet of half-inch plywood for the ends. I thought about using cheaper OSB but since the canvas screws into that, I went with the plywood.

I'm still not sure about those long side pieces. I'll try a couple more specialty lumber stores this week and if that doesn't work out, I'll have to make some fancy joints to get the correct length. I might use a better wood than OSB in that case.

AlexVanEks likes this.
  13. Mamma Noodleman

Mamma Noodleman New Member

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I am concerned about having to get creative with joints on my long side bars too. I'm just not sure I want to rely on pocket holes. If pocket holes are the only choice OSB plys would be split. You know the threads of the screw would be separating the plys. Hope that makes sense. I honestly am having a hard time sourcing the 12 foot ply wood.

AlexVanEks likes this.
  14. dpougnet

dpougnet New Member

Try and find 1x8 pine that's my plan.

Mamma Noodleman likes this.
  15. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

I used 1/2" plywood for my 14' sideboards. Had to rout out 1/2 of each board to make a lap/scarf joint. Glued and stapled together. Has worked fine of about 5 years. If you want to use solid boards perhaps you can find a cabinet shop that can plane down your 3/4" board to 1/2".

KittyCO, bols2Dawall and AlexVanEks like this.
  16. AlexVanEks

AlexVanEks Member

I just did measurements and boy howdy are they wonky! I need framing boards 1 1/2" wide by 7/8" deep (tho the insulation is 1" so I have wiggle room), and a whole heap of it, with a minimum length of 148". Going to the local lumberyard this weekend to seek out framing material.
    Then a crapload of 3/8" Luan/plywood for the new roof base and side boards... My wallet cries already!

17. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

We all know that the A/C units sit flat on the roof with the foam gasket to seal it. Over time, most roofs will sag and water can puddle around the A/C or the gasket can leak . I have often thought that if/when I had to replace my AC unit or gasket, that I would raise it 1/2" - 3/4" by making a "frame" for it to sit on and seal it with Eternabond Tape. That would elevate the unit above the roof and help prevent leaks. At the very least I would seal the raw edge of the perimeter of the cutout with Eternabond Tape, overlapping the exterior and interior surface, so if it did leak it would be on the inside and noticeable and not wicking into the ceiling and causing rot. Has anyone done this? Just seems like a good idea.

18. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

If you need 1" framing boards, 5/4" X 6" treated deck boards are actually 1".

19. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

This right here is the correct way

20. KittyCO

KittyCO New Member

Still progressing.

I ended up using 1x10x10 for the sides, and since "1" doesn't really mean "1" it's not that much thicker that the original. I used the old piece as a template to cut the curves.

I put the new frame together right on top of the old one to help get as close to original size as possible. I've tacked on the metal rails and now I need to find a bunch of friends to help me take it over to the camper and see if everything fits. The main thing I'm concerned about is having the slots line up with the latches between the top and bottom.

If everything looks good, I'll take the rails off and continue with the wiring, foam, vent framing, etc. etc.

2019-09-02 14.18.51.jpg 2019-09-09 11.44.03.jpg 2019-09-11 15.06.50.jpg

Ladiesman and AlexVanEks like this.