Roof Replacement

Jenniferruprecht

Jun 11, 2022
Hi all. We bought a 1995 StarCraft Starlounger in May of this year. It had an odd smell so we did a little digging and found some water damage on the ceiling. The more we looked, the more damage we found and long story short, the roof was complete mush and unsalvageable. We are trying to decide a few things. Do we replace the roof? And if so how? Or Do we just try to sell it and if so how much should we ask for it? Everything else is in perfect condition. The Canvas is great, the floor is solid and the cushions look like new.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Unfortunately you are probably going to find that buying a new roof is pretty much impossible for such an old camper. If you are handy you can make a new roof yourself. There are lots of posts on how that was done. Whether it’s worth it or not is the bigger question. How much are you willing to spend on a 27 year old camper? Unfortunately if you sell your camper you May not get what you paid for it back, but it wouldn’t hurt to try, but expect to have to reduce it.

Jenniferruprecht

Jun 11, 2022
Unfortunately you are probably going to find that buying a new roof is pretty much impossible for such an old camper. If you are handy you can make a new roof yourself. There are lots of posts on how that was done. Whether it’s worth it or not is the bigger question. How much are you willing to spend on a 27 year old camper? Unfortunately if you sell your camper you May not get what you paid for it back, but it wouldn’t hurt to try, but expect to have to reduce it.
Yes, we would need to rebuild it ourselves. I haven’t seen any posts that show exactly how to rebuild our camper…we aren’t the most handy, so we would need very specific directions 😂 Would definitely take a loss if we try to sell it, but it may be our best option. Was wondering if anyone had ideas about dollar amount. $1500 too much?

starcraft

Feb 26, 2019
Hi all. We bought a 1995 StarCraft Starlounger in May of this year. It had an odd smell so we did a little digging and found some water damage on the ceiling. The more we looked, the more damage we found and long story short, the roof was complete mush and unsalvageable. We are trying to decide a few things. Do we replace the roof? And if so how? Or Do we just try to sell it and if so how much should we ask for it? Everything else is in perfect condition. The Canvas is great, the floor is solid and the cushions look like new.
We trashed the original aluminum sheet roof since it was full of dings and holes from hail storms. We just rebuilt the roof for our 87 Starcraft Astrolite. The whole roof costs about $300 CAD since lumber has doubled / tripled in price. We use the Poor Man Fiberglass method. The new roof is solid. Notice we don't put trims on the roof top. Just the bottom only to hold the rubber seal. We took the trailer from Calgary to Burnaby this year. Out of the whole week we were there it rained one night for about 5 hours. No issues at all.

Attachments

• sa_trailer.jpg
    sa_trailer.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 43

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Now explain what the poor mans fiberglass intails. You can't mention it without the how. Thats cheating.

Kari Stewart

Dec 18, 2021
I'd like to know what Poorman's Fiberglass is as well. A google search uncovered this: The DIY camper people have an exterior treatment they call poor man's fiberglass; they refer to it as PMF a lot. It's waterproof wood glue instead of epoxy for the layer between substrate and fabric, then any natural fiber fabric instead of fiberglass, then exterior acrylic paint on top.
I met a guy at a campsite who used the term to describe a coated canvas material he used to make his own teardrop trailer. Maybe this website would explain it better?

Jim Keeling

Jul 22, 2021
Georgetown, Tx
Suggest plywood ceiling(not treated) then cover with poly sheet with pvc. Very strong and durable. The best. Several kits avail.

Darcy Parker

Jul 19, 2020
I r
I have a 2009 Palomino Pony P280. Ended up building a new roof from plywood and covering it with TPO rubber roof membrane.
one problem I did encounter with the roof membrane was it would twist a bit when I had to put screws in for the external hardware.

poppy65

May 10, 2015
I had the same thing happen to me about 6 years ago. I parted it out. Sold everything on it stripped the down to the frame and sold it. I never priced a new or having replaced. Good with whatever you decide to do..