Roof ripples: normal or should we be worried?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Woodiefamily, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Woodiefamily

Woodiefamily New Member

Our new-to-us PUP seems to have a ripple in the front right of the roof. We haven’t camped with it yet, but it was open in our driveway for a week, during rain, and there were no obvious leaks that we could find. As it’s end of season, I’m trying to anticipate any work that needs to be done early next season.

So is this a concern or is it just a typical thing? DH and I are not super handy, but we know people who are .

Attached Files:

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Were the ripples there when you bought it? Are the ripples soft (can you push it down to the surface of the top)?

Woodiefamily likes this.
  3. Woodiefamily

Woodiefamily New Member

Oh! Good questions! We just took possession of this PUP last weekend. The trailer is pretty tall even when closed (5’ or so, and I’m just 5’4”) and we didn’t notice the ripples. It was only when it was open that we saw them from our balcony.

I’m not near the PUP right now, but I’ll check to see if the ripples are squishy. I also noticed a big glob of goo (I think this is the technical term) on the front edge of the corner nearest the ripples. I shall post pics of that too once I am able.

4. Woodiefamily

Woodiefamily New Member

5. Woodiefamily

Woodiefamily New Member

Okay, yes, I can depress the ripple.

And here is the glob of goo. It’s malleable.

Attached Files:

6. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

That big glop of goo looks like an attempt to seal a crack in the roof.

7. Woodiefamily

Woodiefamily New Member

Do you mean a crack in the flexible material that covers the roof? Is this something that a mostly unskilled noob could manage to repair? I feel like it would be a little like wallpapering. Or am I being completely naive?

8. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Yes in the covering of the roof. I'm not familiar with the roof you have. Mine is covered with a sheet of aluminum so I don't have that issue. It would help if you posted the make model and yr of your popup so that someone more knowledgeable then me can give you an idea of what to do.

9. Woodiefamily

Woodiefamily New Member

Thanks, yeah, I added a signature with that info, but it’s not appearing for some reason.

it’s a 2008 Rockwood Premier.

10. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Its there but you have to turn your phone to be in landscape, it won't show up when vertical.

Woodiefamily likes this.
  11. davekro

davekro Active Member

Looks like a Filon roof like my 1999 Starcraft has. Did you thorough and very closely inspect the interior ceiling in the entire quarter of the roof where this raised roof material is? Also, press hard with a dull item like handle side of screwdriver on the side panel of the roof from the front edge back a few feet. If that is from a long-term water leak, it would show on the ceiling and longer term in a rotted side panel as well (don't ask me how I know).

12. rugguy

rugguy New Member

20200905_134913.jpg Ripples, sagging and "bouncy" popup roofs are all signs of delamination caused by water. The only real solution is to waterproof the roof and tear down as much of the ceiling and insulation that's damaged and replace it. If you don't it will only get worse and mold will grow where the water comes in.

It's not an easy DIY fix, but with patience, YouTube videos and of course money, you can do practically anything. Well anything but DIY brain surgery (you never get past the anesthetic part).

Good luck.

Attached Files:

Michael J likes this.
  13. Woodiefamily

Woodiefamily New Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

there’s no sign of damage inside at all. The ceiling isn’t soft or discoloured. My dad is pretty handy so I’m going to see if he can help us to fix/seal it.

14. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

I actually wonder if it's an impact of some sort that caused a hole and the ripple. The goop looks like Dicor self leveling sealant. Good stuff but not the right fix. I would try to remove it if possible and fill in the hole properly with fiberglass repair. You may also be able to inspect it for further damage once you get the dicor off.

Woodiefamily likes this.
  15. Woodiefamily

Woodiefamily New Member

Oh, that’s a really interesting explanation! My dad is actually pretty experienced with fibreglass (he moulds and builds his own fibreglass canoes)! My fingers are crossed that this is the case!

PSnyderL likes this.
  16. davekro

davekro Active Member

Well with your father's expertise, I'd definitely say the next step is to carefully cut away the Dicor sealant. If you do not cut up the Filon bubbled up surface, you may have the option to slice, it and adhere it back down as an option. Certainly after your dad opens this area up, he'll see what the best option is to reseal this area with the best looking outcome. Very glad to hear there is no 'visible' ceiling damage. If it were me (I removed my ceiling and let it air dry in the garage for a month or more). I'd be darned sure there is no chance there is any moisture (left?) in that area before sealing it up. Maybe a heater fan or leaving are opened up (at least Dicor removed. maybe slicing Filon along raised area) in hot sun for as long as needed.
    Good luck. You will be in good shape with papa's skills!

17. rjscanada

rjscanada New Member

Oh god, I recognize that roof design. My own personal hell right now (though not as bad as that).

Did you manage somehow to replace the interior ceiling *without* removing the metal angle supports running the perimeter of the trailer? I'm focused on re-sealing those &$%#ing tracks right now, and I'm trying to dry the interior without ripping down the luan for now, but if you found a simple way to extract the luan in one section without ripping down the whole roof interior I am ALL ears.

18. Chris Y

Chris Y New Member

It's a roof repair job someone did because of damage. I would not mess with it unless it is actively leaking, then clean the roof,, dry it and carefully coat the entire roof with sealant. Consult your local rv dealer who can make recommendations, or just buy a gallon of white FLEX SEAL and use it. I have done this several times and never had a leak afterwards. If you decide to go with FLEX SEAL, remove the awning bag and tape/ drape everything you don't want it on. Not a difficult fix, just takes time and a little work.

19. stierheim

stierheim New Member

I agree - the ripple is an indicator that the roof was struck. Likely a tree branch or similar. If they patched it right away, then there may be no water damage at all and it is just a cosmetic issue.

Michael J likes this.