roof rot because of ac

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by skydog484, Sep 4, 2014.

1. skydog484

skydog484 New Member

I know this has been covered a lot but hoping you all can point me in the right direction. My interior roof was rotting on one side of a c and falling/leaking on the other. The exterior room seems to be fine and there are some ac brackets on top "supporting the ac I believe." I left the top on but started pulling the interior panels. I have the whole thing down to the Styrofoam inside. Should I keep going and chisel that all away and put new up and then thin plywood or what. I guess I still have not found the leak but hoping to narrow that down when there is no insulation. Thanks

2. skydog484

skydog484 New Member

91 skamper

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

You really should remove the AC unit, take the roof off and lay it down so it's well supported then continue working on it. If you continue as is, at some point in the very near future it'll fold up like a house of cards.

If the Styrofoam is dry, why would you remove it? If it's saturated with water and moldy, then yes, replace it.

It's always possible that there may be pinholes, cuts or cracks in the outer sking but if you've already removed the AC, you should be able to look at the framing surrounding the roof opening. If it's wet and rotting, chances are good that you've found your leak.

If the sideboards are soaked and rotting, it's likely that the roof edge trim, bottom trim or roof seal is leaking. If the end boards are rotting, it may be the roof seal or corner caps. Of course, you could have any combination of leaks as well. It's seldom a "this or that" issue, you're more likely to find several contributing factors.

The ceiling will be 1/8" luan paneling with a lovely textured vinyl coating. You can pick up luan paneling at HomeDepot, Lowes or perhaps even a local building center.

Use the Search link at the top of the page with the search term "roof rebuild" or "roof restoration" to get a better idea of what you're up against and how to get the results you want.

4. skydog484

skydog484 New Member

Thanks so much. That is the reply I was looking for and I just needed it find out what I should be searching. Thanks a ton.

5. sealacamp

sealacamp New Member

If you could post a picture of your issue it would be easier to determine exactly how far you need to go with this issue.

6. skydog484

skydog484 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. skydog484

skydog484 New Member

My ac just seems like it is way to big too. It is right in the middle but there is supports on top just figure the damage was done before they were installed. It is also really hard to crank the top uo when it is on. It has almost stripped out the crank shaft. Suggestions?!
    [​IMG]

8. banks412

banks412 New Member

Skydog, I have a 95 Skamper and had the same issue. Let me find the link to my restoration project (tons of pics) and I'll post it here. It might help you out.

-Tim

9. banks412

banks412 New Member

Here you go Skydog - link is at the bottom. Go grab a cold one before you open this link up. Start at the beginning and read as far as you like. My entire roof repair job is in there (with pics).

FWIW - my roof still needs work - the side panels and rear panels I know need new wood, but the floor is worse so I'm agonizing over that at the moment. Thinking of doing that in sections. Still haven't decided.

Best of luck. PM me if you have any questions. And remember, the guys here can be WAY more helpful if you post pics of anything you're wondering about. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words... ;)

-Tim

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=68709.0

10. skydog484

skydog484 New Member

Ok. Thanks for the post. That helps with the ac a lot. I just want to verify what I am going to do.

Pull the ac.
    Remove old luan and scrape out old insulation.
    Inspect and fix anything on hard top.
    Install new Styrofoam. (What size and kind)
    Should I put a thin layer of plywood for stability and support when screwing in trim and lights and such?
    Then put in new luan.
    Cut hole for ac.
    Follow the thread to install new gasket and ac.
    Test it and take it camping. ???
    What glue should I use for the luan/Styrofoam?

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Realistically, that AC unit should be braced from underneath but it's done now, so whatchagonnado?

You don't need to use plywood behind the ceiling paneling. Outer roof skin, 1" styrofoam, then 1/8" Luan.

You can use PL premium or Liquid nails construction adhesive but you'll need to put pressure on the styrofoam then the paneling until the adhesive cures. Plywood panels resting atop 2x4's will take care of that.

12. banks412

banks412 New Member

Skydog - can I ask why you're scraping out the styrofoam? Is it not in good shape? If it's just moldy, clean it. Remember, it's going to be covered by the Luan paneling so it doesn't have to look like a million bucks.

+1 from me on NOT adding any additional plywood to the roof - just going to add unnecessary weight. Now, I DID add some bracing for the A/C supports (go back and look at my link) but it was really more just for peace of mind than anything else.