Roof Rot up under the Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by brentcbishop, Feb 17, 2015.

1. brentcbishop

brentcbishop New Member

My family just purchased a 2002.5 Coleman Yuma [PU] and are really excited to get out in the campsites this spring. This is our first popup and we were in the process of cleaning it when I discovered that a portion of the the rear left ceiling is wet and rotten behind the canvas track. There also appears to be some discoloration and possible rust on the metal corner pieces.

My question is this: how does water get in between the roof top and the box? The seal between the two looks to be in okay condition... and what really throws me is that the water damage is above the seal, not below. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. catseye

catseye all I remember is dirt...sky...dirt...ambulance

mine started to rot at all four corners due to the bolts running through the corner telescoping rails. if the wood in the roof is exposed to any moisture at all, it will act like a wick. I was lucky, it hadn't had time.

3. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

First off welcome to PUP and congrats on you NTU pup! So your leak came in at the seam of the front/back rail that is attached to your roof (the aluminum channel that holds the seal and presses it against the body) I too had the same thing happen and didn't find out until the canvas and track pulled away.
    [​IMG]
    Look familiar?

Its not really a hard fix. Just a PITA like everything else. Unscrew the rails an pull them down, pull out the damaged wood and replace. It sounds easy but it will fight you and probably come out in pieces like mine did. Instead of replacing with wood I used diamond plate so I never have to do it again.
    [​IMG]
    When you put it back together do a real good caulk job and it should be good to go.
    Let us know how things turn out

EdZilla likes this.
  4. catseye

catseye all I remember is dirt...sky...dirt...ambulance

nice job!!

My sandwich panels are still being made by Rockwood, so it was just a matter of replacing the entire right and left sides, and they only charged me $160 for BOTH including shipping! I will e taking extra precautionary measures to avoid that ever happening again.

5. alibooie

alibooie New Member

...snip...

Its not really a hard fix. Just a PITA like everything else. Unscrew the rails an pull them down, pull out the damaged wood and replace. It sounds easy but it will fight you and probably come out in pieces like mine did. Instead of replacing with wood I used diamond plate so I never have to do it again.
    [​IMG]
    When you put it back together do a real good caulk job and it should be good to go.
    Let us know how things turn out
    [/quote]

That looks great! We are in the beginning of a roof rebuild for our 1984 Coleman Destiny and love how the diamond plate looks. Did you use styrofoam behind it? Is it much heavier than the wood? Thanks so much!

6. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

Those two rusty screws at the bottom are the first indicator that water has been getting in for some time. Even if the outside looks good, the caulk should be replaced every few years. The smallest spot is all water needs to get in, and then that's what happens.
    I used EternaBond tape on ours, sealed up the roof edges and have not had any water since.

7. sealacamp

sealacamp New Member

The water gets in because the factory seal is inferior and should be maintained every few years. Dyco 20/20 seam sealer is perfect for this job. Your other option is to rebuild the roof using superior materials and sealant so that maintenance becomes unnecessary.

8. cannotbackup

cannotbackup Member