roof sealant?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Ntk37, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Ntk37

Ntk37 Member

Had the PUP in the shop yesterday and the service guy mentioned sealing the perimeter of the roof. Any idea what I would use to do this?

2. Pnut

Pnut Member

Dicor self leveling sealant.

xxxapache likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

If the roof has been previously sealed with silicone, you must use silicone. If not, X TRM as it will bond to any clean surface

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Dicor is one of the proven rv roof sealants out there, works good I inspect and reseal as required each year. Silicone is ok, even though many here and other sites will argue against it. It will work and do a good job, the key to using it is all in doing the proper prep work, I have used it on all the vertical seams on our trailers, it does need redoing every couple years..

platcecila50 likes this.
  5. platcecila50

platcecila50 New Member

Thank you...for sharing

6. davekro

davekro Active Member

My roof has a number of small holes or cracks. What is paintable and best for repairing small cracked (1/4" or smaller) areas?
    Is the Dicor 501LSW Epdm mentioned above good for this type of repair? The front label does not say 'Paintable', but the Gen. Info. on back says "...may be painted over after curing."

I also see this Geocel GC28100 Pro Flex Rv Flexible Clear
    https://smile.amazon.com/Geocel-GC2...22PQCY5ZZ2C&psc=1&refRID=9MP4213GH22PQCY5ZZ2C

Because the 20 year old roof has many small cracks, I feel the need to paint/seal the entire roof after repairing cracks I can find. From reading, 887 Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone White Roof Coating ($60) from Home Depot seems to be a good choice.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0...icone-White-Roof-Coating-HE887HS142/206029976
    If I were to use the Tropi-cool roof coating, would using their 884 Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone Roof Sealant be a better adhesion match for the cracks to be covered by with the Silicone Trop-Cool coating?

The Tropi-Cool looks more durable than the Henry Elastomeric paint: 587 100% Acrylic Dura-Brite White Elastomeric Roof Coating ($25)
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0...e-Elastomeric-Roof-Coating-HE587146/202091035

What have people used for coating the entire older roof to resist future small cracks?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  7. davekro

davekro Active Member

OK, I ordered a tube of Dicor 501LSW to seal the visible punctures in the aluminum roof skin. The 'cracks' look like they are from impacts to the roof skin by humans or falling debris. Actually, would you expect this aluminum skin to not need coating? If the paint on it is in good shape, shouldn't the aluminum sheet be as good as day one, except where physically impacted? But there may be small holes I cannot see in the variegated aluminum surface that a coating would seal.*

I see some silicone caulk had been added on small areas of the side seams. I will plan on removing that Silicone caulk. For the rest of the roof top side seems that have a very thin original OEM bead, should I just clean and go over that with a bead of Dicor? Or would you scrape out the OEM bead and start fresh with a new bead of Dicor?

What is best to use to clean the small areas where Silicone was used (after scraping away as much as possible)? Google says mineral spirits or denatured alchohol.

*Is it over kill to coat the entire aluminum roof or will it add durability? Reading more on the threads, Silicone has a very bad reputation. Does that make the 887 Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone White Roof Coating a bad choice? I have read the Coleman foam tops being coated with Grizzley Grip coating.