Roof Seam Appears To Be Still Leaking After Repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Backtonature, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

Hi. I purchased this camper a while back and out it had a water leak to the interior from the AC. I fix that problem with a new AC gasket kit.

I also noticed I had some water leak into the interior, coming from under those roof racks. I removed those roof racks yesterday. I removed all that manufacturing caulk that was on top of the seams And sanded, cleaned the entire length where the tracks were. I then applied this Roof flashing (that I use on homes that I build really sticky stuff and it’s 6” wide) on the entire length of those seams.

We had som heavy rains last night and now it looks like I still have a leaking roof seam.. or is this migrating water (water trapped now that the flashing is covering the entire seams) not that the from the last heavy rain event we had last week.

Attached Files:

2. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Is that flashing soft and pliable enough to form to all the tiny dimples that comprise the roof . Did you also caulk all your corners and any other seams ?

3. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

Yes. I also used some weight to apply the material ensuring that it stuck good around the edges, however I haven’t looked at the roof myself yet. My wife took that picture this morning and texted it to me.

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

There is really only 2 options. It was residual water that you trapped in or your patch didn't work.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Or its leaking somewhere else. Whats in front of the tape? You could also try drying it out to see if its residual.

6. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

I have thought about drying it out an may start that when I get home this evening.

and it’s possible the patch didn’t work. I’ll keep investigating

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you haven't told us just which model / year of camper you have but I can tell from your pics it's a Fleetwood with an AlumiLeak roof. :oops: SJM is right, it's either still leaking or (more likely) you've trapped water that was already inside the roof - we don't call it AlumiLeak for no reason! At this stage your best course of action is to remove the roof from the camper and take it inside a dry workshop (garage) where you can disassemble and repair it properly. A quick patch job just isn't going to work.

8. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

it’s a 2005 Fleetwood Bayside Alumileak camper:(

I’m hoping for the best and it trapped water migrating down through the foam and to the wood..

9. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Might have been better off laying down some Eternabond tape on those seams before applying the flashing

akriot likes this.
  10. GreyFox

Seems your SIG is ironically apropos considering the predicament you find yourself in. ;)

"when life throws you a major curve ball you got to straighten it out"

11. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

spot on! my wife just pulled me away from the camper, because I was getting too frustrated tonight trying to figure out where the current wetness is coming from after all the work I did to it yesterday. I'm inside the home now trying to chill[:D]. I love my wife sooo much! she will reel me back in when I get frustrated and stressed out and get me to stop!

Tom Jordan, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  12. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

Looks like the plywood is trashed anyway. I would remove it to dry out and check for leaks. I would only us Eternabond tape for those types of repairs. Just saying.

13. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

I will remove the roofing tape and let the wood dry out. I’m gonna order that Eternabond and use it. I saw a video on that tape.
    I visually see how sticky and gooey the actual the side is that will be placed over the seams.

thanks!

14. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

Getting prepared for my 1st strip on Eternabond

Attached Files:

15. GreyFox

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy but you can bet there's water trapped inside the roof that will never air dry. That in turn can lead to mold, the spores of which are dangerous to your health. :eek: It's your trailer so obviously you can choose to do what you want with it but if it were mine, with that amount of water damage, I wouldn't be just sealing it up so it won't leak further but as I suggested earlier, remove the roof from the camper and get it inside where you can work on it, removing and replacing the interior foam which is sure to be wet and moldy. JMO - good luck! :)

16. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

My wife's name is Nancy[:D] and she agrees with you and I agree with her and you[:D]
    I do have a question though.. is there a way I can work around doing this repair without completely removing the roof and doing the repair from the inside with top up?

17. Sjm9911

I get not wanting to take it off. How about a dehdehumidif inside for a bit see if it dries it out? Cover with a tarp to keep new water from getting in. If it dries up and feels solid your probably good, but im not an expert. Dry equals no mold. At least for me.

18. Backtonature

Backtonature Member

That's certainly something to consider. I believe I would have to cut out the foam on the inside and expose the underside of the roof decking (it is still solid on top I have been setting up top when I was working on changing out the ac gasket) , however I'm unsure of what type of wood was used for the top?

19. Sjm9911

I dont know , i never had a roof like yours. From your picture looks like luanne.

20. GreyFox

Any successful repairs I've seen that others have done were with the roof removed from the trailer, taken inside, and flipped upside down, which would have to be much easier than working with your arms elevated above your head for hours & hours. Your roof floats atop the four lift arms - disconnect the tenting (easier on a Fleetwood as the tenting is sectional), disconnect the wires running up the rear street side lift arm to the roof, remove the two bolts / nuts atop each lift arm that keep the roof in place, and with someone at each of the roof four corners lift it away from the camper. Sounds like a lot of work but I think you'd find it much easier to work on the roof once it's removed from the trailer. Here's how one forum member handled this task ...

https://www.popupportal.com/threads...on-e2-filon-roof-rebuild.124526/#post-1281024

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020 at 7:42 PM