Roof support safety supports.?????

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by squid, May 9, 2016.

1. squid

squid Member

A person in the campground I was in cranked up his roof and then put 2x4's next to each roof support(cable tracks). Later I went over and asked him why he did that. He said that he did it as a safety measure in case a cable gave way while set up and someone was in camper, thus keeping the roof from coming down. Said he cut them about 1 inch shorter than his fully raised roof. He also said some people do the same thing only to take some tension of the cables. Said they raise the roof and put 2x4's in and lower roof just on top of boards. Helps take the load of cable system. HAs anyone heard of this? This is the first for me.

2. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

My PUP had a metal support that went around the lift rail - one per side. Put them on opposite corners. Yes the purpose is to keep the lid from crashing down if a cable snapped. My door wouldn't latch together if I just relied on the catch rails.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Many campers come with one or occassionally two of them but they're metal and slide over the lift post. You should only need one safety support on the lift post diagonal to the door since the door frame itself will prevent the roof from collapsing.

2x4's will work but I'd highly recommend that you cut a few lengths of 1-1/2" ABS pipe and store them in an old lawn chair bag to use in the event that a cable snaps at the CG (Camp Ground). You'll just need to measure the distance between the top of your walls and the edge of your roof then cut the pipes accordingly. They're light, more than strong enough and they're impervious to moisture. Besides, they fit nicely inside the flaps that cover most lift posts so they're hardly noticeable.

In the event that a cable snaps (even if you're alone) you can raise the roof about 3", insert a 6" length of pipe beside the collapsed post, crank up to 9", insert a 12" pipe, then 18", 24", 36" and 44" (or your max height). Reverse the process when lowering the roof and fix the broken cable ASAP.

I got through our first season that way and have kept these pipes on hand in the storage compartment ever since. They're also very handy when replacing cables or adjusting the roof height.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=56892.msg562143#msg562143

[​IMG]

myride and firepit like this.
  4. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

If your camper has a solid door then you dont need those. You can buy them but they are very expensive. Dubbya has good advice.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I think it wouldn't hurt anything and may be nice to have. Here is my experience with my old jayco. I did have one cable snap on my lift however because the other cables were still working without a problem and the door was in place the whole roof didn't fall, only just that corner and it fell only by like three inches. Yes, kind of scary knowing the pressure put on all three other corners, but it held up threw the night until my brother found a tree to support the fallen corner for tge trip. So I'm sure some lift systems have kind of like a fail safe to prevent the entire roof from crashing, but I'm sure there can be a situation where it could happen.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Depends on the make, model and year. Our old, 1984 Palomino had external lifter arms, so no cables to worry about. Our 2010 Coleman, as with many years of Coleman pups, had 4 separate cables, and a solid door meant to support the roof if things went south.
    I've seen 2x4s, PVC or electrics conduit as supports.

7. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

I had an 84 model pup I did this to roof fell once while camping ,no one hurt but sure got your attention. Never figured out what happened it cranked right back up next trip had 2x4 installed at each corner.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Coleman/Fleetwood pups really don't need supports since they have a one piece door. Also they have four cables, one for each lift post.

Question for the OP, what make pup do you have?

9. squid

squid Member

Thanks for all the great info. Did not fully understand the make up of the lift system I have a 2008 Fleetwood Santa Fe and I learned a lot about the lift system here. Again thanks for the info. Charlie

10. Chaloune

Chaloune New Member

11. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

turbo lab1 076.jpg View attachment 61781 View attachment 61781
    That is what i did on my old coleman...i used 2x2 lumber and made the notch just like that....my cables were so stretched i had to make mne a little long to push the roof up or the door would rub the roof edge....its a cheap hack that gets the job done

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  12. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Member

My step father purchased a 2015 that has 2 of them. One for each side, front and back