roof vent cover

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Fred1diver, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

hey everyone, just came back from a nice engagement anniversary campout, problem arises when we were on our way back, I guess two screws came loose on the vent cover and it started flapping in the wind, it was ok at first but we got a few big wind bursts and the plastic broke at one of the remaining screws, so I pulled over and removed it before it went flying on the road, now my question is: is a vent cover really necessary? and how do I climb on the roof to reinstall one without going through the roof? is the roof strong enough to hold me?
    thanks in advance

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Well if your fan still has a lid, no you don't need a cover. Ours has a built in rain cover so I can leave it open all the time.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Depends on the unit whether it will support you weight, some people used a piece of plywood lain over the top to support weight. If you are talking about the actual lid that opens and closes usually from a handle inside. You will need another lid or rain etc. will come thru. If it has a cover over the vent then you would be ok without it.

Snow likes this.