Roof vent lid keeps opening, how to secure?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by sleach, Aug 2, 2020.

1. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

The 2012 Chalet Arrowhead has two vent in the forward roof, one the Fantastic, and one simple crank open. The lid for the crank up one aged, became brittle, and did not survive a hail storm. Replaced it with a "one size fits all" part, and ever since then it opens up when traveling no matter how tight I close it.

What are your thoughts on preventing this? My first thought is to install some sort of bungee cord to run across the forward part of the lid on the outside. Drawback to this is that area is hard to reach even with the roofs down and latched. Any ideas on securing from the inside?

2. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Does it open facing towards the front of the camper?

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

What type of closer is on the inside? A picture would help. We've had our fantastic fan cover open twice while on the road. It has a vague "lock" position. You would think they would have a detent to hold the opener in the closed position. Hard to find common sense used in designs anymore.

4. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I had the same thing happen with my Fantastic Fan, halfway home. A bit of Duct Tape saved the day without opening the camper. I do not know the mystery of the lock position.
    Have considered adding some Velcro hook-and- loop fastener to the outside-- attaching by using Gorilla glue or similar. However this would have limited life in the heat and humidity around here, but it would save having to duct-tape occasionally though.

5. sleach

Steveo, yes the open side faces to the front, as in every A-frame I've seen. If it faced to the rear it would function as a rain funnel when the roofs are up.

We have never had a problem with the lid on the Fantastic fan. Crank closed with the knob, then twist the lock knob.

Think I will try an inside fix first, maybe a hole drilled in arm on knob, and a short, light bit of bungee to a screw eye in the frame.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

It should have an air deflector in front of the Fantastic fan vent cover. Ours will still open sometimes, even with the deflector.

7. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Oh sorry. Duh, a frame. I was thinking pop up for some reason...:(

8. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

Our Fantastic vent opened up while driving back from camp twice. The 2nd time it happened on the road, I secured it closed with gorilla tape. The crank was broken.

DH replaced the crank. Finding the exact replacement for our model was tricky since we have an older vent. But it worked and didn’t open on the subsequent camping trip after.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

9. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

My Fantastic Fan opens to the side since I didn't think about direction while installing. Either a little hook-and-latch lock (very CAREFULLY drilled in as this is plastic, after all) or the Velcro idea, are what I am playing with.
    I don't want to go to the work to re-install. If I bother to take it out, an AC will replace it.
    My entry door doesn't sit quite tight up to the frame and the lock somehow works its way loose on the road-- so I mod'ed that with a hook-and-latcher, to keep from flying open while driving.
    You've got to be a bit of a McGyver with these things sometimes, or at least I am.
    It only takes a couple of fellow drivers gesticulating wildly at you on the road (I was still in town, at a red light, didn't go over 25 mph) to realize your PUP door is open, and stuff might be coming out. :)

10. sleach

I like the air deflector idea. Could get something bent up by local HVAC shop, with drain holes in the corners, attach with trifold pop rivets and marine adhesive/sealant.

Econ likes this.
  11. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

We have similar problem. We make a little bungie cord and a little hook anchor on the edge of the vent to prevent cover lift again. See picture: SBB_10701.jpg

Econ and DiamondGirl like this.
  12. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

Nice mod Shuang.

Those vent and fan covers are a pain.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

13. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

bungee cord, one end to a new U anchor, other end to an existing hole in Fantastic Fan hinge. I clipped back the bungee metal hook tips to make this work.

Now we have peace of mind, and for us, we can see the bungee in our rear view mirroe.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. Ray Cole

Ray Cole New Member

I've had the same problem and the last time the cover blew completely off. My solution is probably over engineered (at least compared to a bungee cord) but I used a brass hasp from Lowes secured with stainless screws to the Fantastic Fan base and with stainless machine screws to the cover. It is never going to come off but it was some work to install. Having done it once it would be super easy to do again, but of course, I will never have to.

shuang2 and Econ like this.