Routine maintenance on PUP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by jjjandrbaker, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jjjandrbaker

jjjandrbaker New Member

I keep reading about things like "pack your bearings" and "lube your lift system". I am NOT a handy person. In fact, I am not allowed to do home repairs anymore because I always end up having to call in a pro to finish and correct my attempts.

Do any of you take your PUPs for routine maintenance somewhere? Does such service exist?

It may sound crazy to some of you, but I would rather pay than try doing it myself. Lazy? No. Just incredibly useless with tools, etc. , and not afraid to admit it.

2. tsc

tsc Member

I do my own service on the trailer. But any trailer shop with a service dept can do the routine maintenance for you.

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

bearings I would think your auto mechanic could do. Lube the lift system?? if you didn't want to try it yourself, then take it to a RV dealer with a service dept.

My pop up's manual has a list of maintenance items for as needed, before/after each trip, monthly, every 2 & 3 months, and annually or before /after storage. there is a lot, but most seems pretty basic, some more technical.

I don't think you are lazy. I totally get the whole useless with tools thing, my Dad is like that :)

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Find reliable RV dealer. The service department can do everything for you but at a price.

5. UrbanCamper

UrbanCamper New Member

For lubing the lift, I simply use a can of silicone spray and spray it on all the moving parts (corner supports, winch, wiffle tree) by putting the PUP up and down while I spray. For packing the bearing, pop off the axle caps and fill the axle with grease using a grease gun.

6. nomoretent

nomoretent Member

We found that our local RV dealerships actually do most of their work on TTs and thus I know more about popups than they do. We found a local trailer service place that usually services farm trailers, but they are more familiar with the hydraulic surge breaks, etc. and have more reasonable fees.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you are talking about your 2011 PUP, you are all set for a couple of years.