Rubber roof on Coleman ABS

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by DansAndDogs, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Waterdoctor

Waterdoctor New Member

No, I didn't. I didn't mention that my PUP is a 12' box, so the roof is pretty heavy to begin with. I would estimate the total weight, after the GG cured, is about 20-30#. I don't have the A/C unit, so I'm well within weight limits for the lift system. I don't have any idea how much Rhinolining would weigh, but I wouldn't think it would be much different

I hope that helps. Good luck.
    Steve

2. mkenyon2

mkenyon2 New Member

Thank you guys, my 2000 Coleman Santa Fe just got it's cover off (I know, so late in the year) and whoa! there were some mighty big cracks.

Might try the Grizsly Grip. Any tips on how to best apply it? Should I sand the roof down? Or just put it on?

3. snuff stuff

snuff stuff New Member

I am a roofer and have experimented with all sorts of "roofer in a bucket" and "roofer in a tube" products that were supposed to be the latest and greatest. What i suggest for camper tops and looks professional is several coats of "Lucas 6000". Make sure the surface is clean, culk in large cracks/gaps and self adhesive drywall mesh on hairline cracks. Apply Lucas 6000 from 3 to 6 coats. It comes in white but i have gotten Duron and Benjamin more to tint it for me. Its good stuff, definatly is cooler to the touch and durable. The stuff remains plyable. Example; The guys rip up the vinyl seats in the trucks until the cushion starts falling out. We patch them with blue drywall fabric and Lucas 6000 and it holds up from daily wear and tare. Admittedly it dont look pretty on a truck seat, but it holds up. Ive put EPDM on a couple of camper roofs, put white "peel and seal" on one and a couple with Lucas 6000. Im not sure about eternabond. I never knew it existed until I joined this site, so it may be all that. Im only recomending what ive had ample good experience with. Hope this helps someone.

4. Waterdoctor

Waterdoctor New Member

According to GG, and what I did when I did my roof, was to use a med grit sandpaper and a small orbital "palm" sander and lightly run it over the entire surface you're going to apply GG to. This knocked any oxidized coating off, and roughed up the surface so the GG had something to grab onto. As mentioned previously, I have a 12' box and the sanding took all of about an hour. I used a med. course pad (similar to the green scratch pads you might use in the kitchen) to get into those tight nooks and crannies. Then I used my yard blower to blow the worst of the dust off, then went over it with a tack cloth to get the remaining dust. Then a quick wipedown with MEK on a rag and the roof was ready for the GG. I put 3 coats of GG on my roof (fine grind, white, alaphatic formula - recommended by GG folks) and so far so good. The roof looked new and it only took the weekend to do the whole job. BTW, I ended up buying 2 P/U truck bed kits and had about 1/2 gal left over (not enough to apply another coat).
    I hope that helps. Good luck.
    Steve

5. goblinn2

goblinn2 Midlothian, VA

I have recently applied Grizzly Grip to my 2000 Bayside. Where it was delaminating I put some Grip under by raising up the section and rolling some on using a foam roller. This started to hold winthing a half hour. I applied the first coat on everything, even the AC cover.
    After waiting 3 hours due to low humidity, I put on my second and heavier coat. This covered all hairline cracks and filled the bigger ones. I had one 1/8 wide and 100 inches long. You can find it now only if I tell you where it was.

I talked to the representative Grizzly Grip fro over a 30 minutes with all of my concerns. Very helpful and had all the right answers. He said that they have had very good results with The ABS roof repairs.

I like the looks of it and it sticks to ABS without any problem. Clean and prep as instructed for best results.

It even comes in PINK for those of you that want to be PC

John

6. Turtledude

Turtledude New Member

I use bedliner on all my aluminum bay boats to seal seams and rivots, its lightweight and flexible. I will be applying light gray to the top of my 1997 Jayco 1206 in the next couple weeks and will post the results.

7. Wickedwilbur

Wickedwilbur Beach Bumm

Hello All.
    I have had the roof cracking problem for 3 years running. Thanks to the tread at the begging on this topic....Used the MEK and all the tips at the begining of this run. They held for the season, but get worse by the end of the year and have to start all over. This year I have to do something new. The cracks are so big and in so many areas, that I was considering taking OFF the roof and adding some entirely differenct product to coat it. I have had no leaks, Bit now see a little bubbling under the side and know it must be moisture. The roof has NO sags!!!

I an going to try the GG and see if this will work. But the roof is sooooo bad and the crack are turned up SOO big...I will try the MEK to soften and have it lay down...the I will try to SAND and then the GrizGlue. Thanks for all the info. Hope it works. I will let you all know.....Still can't believe the 1st owner left out side for 4 years with only a suncover????

8. cdburkett

cdburkett New Member

Goblinnn2, Have you experienced any negative effects to the roof of core after applying the GG under the ABS delaminated section.