Rubber roof refurb

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by jwolfe01, Jul 1, 2011.

1. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

The TT we picked up a couple of weeks ago had a roof that had basically not been maintained, ever, and had developed some leaks. It is a rubber TPO roof that , like most of them, had tremendous globs of sealant all over it from the factory. The problem is, that in its 12 years, the POs had never taken care of it, so the sealant had dry rotted, cracked, flaked off, etc. I did some research on how to fix it and decided I would go with Eternabond tape to seal up all seams, around all vents and antenna and cover any tears or holes. After I got that done, I would coat it all with a nice, uniform slathering of Kool Seal. Yesterday afte work, I started on the Eternabond part of the project, and took a few pics of the project's progression.

Here is what I started with, lots of old, crappy, dirty sealant. Im actually surprised at how water tight the roof is considering how bad it looked. I wish I could have gotten more pics of the really bad spots, but from these, you can probably imagine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, with Eternabond, you can just lay it over the existing sealant, but Im too picky, so I scraped most of it off first. I then cleaned it all thoroughly with Acetone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of pics taken part of the way through the install of the Eternabond.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish I had time to take more last evening, but I was trying to beat the oncoming darkness. Ill take more before I finish things up later today. Its looking good so far.

2. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

That'll be me this weekend....heat index is supposed to be around 105* so.... [XX(]

Nice work on yours though! One question ...can the Eternabond be cut to make narrower strips? I can't imagine why not.

3. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Sure could. I like having the added width, but then again, I have a TT, so I dont have to see it all the time lol.

4. CarNutCass

I hear you. I use a Werner version of the Little Giant step/extension ladder and in it's tallest step ladder mode I can't reach the center of my roof. Doh! To complete the job of scrubbing my roof I had to convert it to a straight ladder which left small dents in my gutters from leaning against them with my weight added.

5. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Oh geeze, I didnt notice you had a HTT. Ive been using an extension ladder to get up thee so far, but I need to get a tall step ladder so I dont make marks on it. Ill probably get an 8 footer, that should get me up there fine.

6. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

The Eternabond is done, and turned out great. Here are some more pics, in some you can see all of the crud that came out of the Max Air vents. If you have these on your camper, make sure you take them off once in a while and clean them out.

Heres the new refer vent cover I picked up today, looks a ton better than the old, dirty, brittle one.

[​IMG]

The TV antenna got removed, it wont be needed.

[​IMG]

Shots of completed areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front vent all scraped and ready for Eternabond.

[​IMG]

The front roof seam, done with 2 overlapping 4" strips.

[​IMG]

This is the front cap, which I sealed up the side seams and the one horizontal seam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front corners all done.

[​IMG]

7. CarNutCass

Nice work...you're hired! [LOL]

Thanks for documenting your work with pics. No telling how many new DIYers will gain confidence and realize they can in fact do it themselves.

8. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Thanks. Yeah, its not rocket science, just tedious. Next up will be a coat of Kool Seal, but I need to get the floor replaced in the front of the camper first so we are ready to go in a few weeks for the first trip out in it.

9. CarNutCass

In looking at your signiature I see that you have a '99 Sun-lite. Do you know the capaciities of your holding tanks? Portal member Penny Logan has a '99 Sun-Lite Apache HTT that she is having a hard time finding info on. I'd bet your tanks are the same size as it seems that in many cases manufacturers tend to use the same size tanks across brands in similarly sized campers.

Here's the thread. http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=48615.0

10. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

I found the info on the net somewhere that Sun-Lite used 40 gallon tanks, but Im not 100% sure yet. I am going to be pulling the front bed out to get at the floors, so I will see what the fresh water tank is, as it is located behind the bed.

11. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

The fresh water tank on mine looks to be a 20 gallon.

12. CarNutCass

You know, looking beyond your camper in the pics you posted, it looks like you live out in a really nice, quiet place with lots of space. You should start your own campground. When can I get a reservation? [:)C]

13. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Yeah, its an old farm house that sits in the middle of a 1600 acre working grain/horse farm, which is next to @ 800 acres of state land and a few other working grain farms. I love living there.

14. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Last night we finally got some rain that was more than just a passing sprinkle. We had an absolute downpour and normal rain for a few hours, so I went out to check the camper this morning, and not a drop of moisture to be found anywhere. I am going to call this project a success and will finish it up with a good roof cleaning and coat of Kool Seal before it gets put away for the winter.