Rubbermade Action Packer

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by bigphil298, Jun 9, 2012.

1. bigphil298

bigphil298 New Member

I just purchased one for a front storage on my pup. My question is how are they at keeping water out when sitting and driving. Any information would be great

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Hmmmm, that looks like it would be a great Father's Day gift... What size did you get 48 gallons?

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

We have a couple of them, and they keep rain out pretty well when sitting. I've never had a problem. I'm not too sure about towing, I don't think I have had it outside while towing.

4. bigphil298

bigphil298 New Member

5. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

We use 2 on the cargo tray of our E1 - one for firewood and the other for my camp and repair stuff. No problem with water intrusion while at camp but not yet certain about when in transit. They were exposed to heavy rain last week end. For my camp and repair stuff, I keep everything in smaller containers just in case.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I've had one on the "A" frame for a few years and no problems so far.

[​IMG]

7. Bob Bourgeois

Bob Bourgeois "I'd rather be camping"

How did you attach these to a frame, or any other location for that matter? Rachet straps or bungie cords?

8. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

The Action Packer has knockouts for anchoring bolts in each corner. Our 48 qt is anchored to the cargo tray as it contains camp and repair gear (theft protection). The 32 qt size used for firewood is not anchored.

9. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

In this pic you see the 4 bolts going thru the bottom.
    [​IMG]

In this pic you see the box is mounted on top of 2x4's painted black. I used 4 2x4's cut to fit between the angle iron supports. Two stacks with 2 2x4's.
    [​IMG]

11. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

If you decide to bolt down an ActionPacker, use fender washers to prevent the bolts from pulling through the plastic.

12. Bob Bourgeois

Bob Bourgeois "I'd rather be camping"

Nice. Couldn't see the mounting system from the original pictures. I'm looking for more storage options because we went from a Dodge Caravan as a TV to a Nissan Xterra. I could get alot more in the van, but it was time to trade up.

13. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

I removed the 20 lb propane and made a deck out of p1-11 and put a 6 locking tote on mine and use ratchet straps to hold it to the tongue

14. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I screwed one to my rear bumper with self-tappers and put my sewer hose in it. With it being on the back it doesn't get water driven into the seams during travel. I suppose it could have been attached with straps, but I put plastic gutter for sewer hose support in my bumper.

15. bondebond

bondebond New Member

To keep water and dust out of mine, I used adhesive-backed foam weatherstriping for windows and put it on the lid to make a really good seal. I just followed the depression where it rests on the container. I field tested it in extreme dust situations and also through a number of rains without any signs of intrusion. I just had that much more peace of mind with that weatherstripping in place.

16. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I've been meaning to do that before the next trip. Thanks for the reminder.

17. 98Roamer

98Roamer Member

I looked at the Action Packer for the roof basket. I read where people have used the black gasket making sealant that comes in a tube to created a water and dust proof seal. The squeeze the sealant out the rims, line the lid rim with wax paper, put the lid on it and clamp it down. Wait for it to cure, remove the wax paper and you have a custom formed rubberized waterproof seal. I'm not sure how durable it would be under heavy abuse.
    I ended up going with a Pelican 1600 case instead of the DIY Action Packer.

18. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I believe you're referring to RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) silicone. I guess that'd work, but it seems like it'd be too stiff. Weatherstripping will be good enough for my uses.

No doubt a Pelican case is much more rugged and better sealed than any Rubbermaid container.

19. PupNut

PupNut New Member

I have one for my TV to keep tools and emergency gear in. It has sat chained back by the tailgate and not had any issues. I get issues when I actually get water in it. It holds the water in and will rust tools. As long as you keep the inside dry, it should be just fine.

20. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping