Rude Campers!

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by jamb046, May 6, 2015.

1. jamb046

jamb046 Member

We stayed in the campground at Cascade Caverns outside Boerne, Texas, this past weekend. It is a small campground and there were probably only about 10 campers in the whole place. We like the small places that are not so commercialized.

Across from us was a nice travel trailer with a couple of cars around. However, about 9:15 that night they started playing LOUD music! Took a look and saw 5 cars parked there and maybe 8 or 9 people. Lots of loud talking and laughing. They would turn the music up and down every now and then. So we got to listen to Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Queen, Beastie Boys and several others at all decibel levels.

Well, we thought they would turn the music down at the usual 10 pm quiet time. No such luck. We thought we misread the Quiet Time rule in the campground. Since it was private campground, we thought maybe the time was 11 pm there.

Well, about 11:15 I went over and told them they were too loud and that people were trying to sleep. They said they would turn down the music - and they did for maybe 15 minutes, then it got LOUD again. They had a huge bonfire and were having a good time. It looked like an extended family gathering. They did apologize and said they didn't realize what time it was. There were a lot of them staring at me in an unkind manner. Not wanting to take my life in my hands I didn't go over there again.

They finally started slowing down about 11:45. But then started the trips to the restrooms - lots of loud talking, laughing and noise. Finally, about 12:30 am, they shut everything down.

I reported them to the manager the next day. One of them was there in the office and said that they did turn down the music and were very quiet. Their word against our word. We left the next day.

I'm not against having fun, but people should be considerate of others, especially during Quiet Time.

2. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I gather you were not able to contact any type of authority while they were going at it? I am to the point that I dont talk to anyone making such a ruckus because once there is partying and booze it is very unlikely for anything to happen then if you complaint to them, then follow to complaint to the proper authority you become a target... I let the people that gets paid to take care of the peace to take care of the issue.

3. jamb046

jamb046 Member

The manager of the campground does not live on site. So there was no one in authority until the next morning.
    It would have been nice if there was someone from the campground management on site. But that isn't the way it worked out this time. Maybe next time.

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

That wouldn't have stopped me from calling them though. I'm with Nandy; if they're paid to handle it, then they need to be prepared to handle it. Many times, I simple "Hey guys, do you realize that time it is?" will do the trick, but with some folks, that doesn't do the trick. I'd have called management and let them know. If they didn't want to handle it expediently, I'd just write that campground off as poorly managed.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

^^^That.

Even if the owners are not on site, if there isn't a phone number to notify someone in charge that there is a problem of any sort, that is extremely poorly run for a private campground.

We have occasionally encountered public campgrounds without on-site hosts, usually at one end or the other of the season. That is happening less often now, though once in a while the host is covering a couple of campgrounds. That can get interesting, since there may be no cell coverage.

6. gruss

gruss Active Member

I just expect this in private campgrounds...especially if your near seasonal campers. The owners are gonna side with the folks that gave them $2K over the folks that gave them 50 bucks.

Not saying you don't have a reason to complain, believe me I know, just that it really doesn't seem to be a priority in a lot of the private campgrounds I've been to.

7. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

That's why we make it a habit to camp in places like this...

[​IMG]

Darn crickets, making all kinds of racket into the night grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

8. sewserious

sewserious New Member

We don't all have the ability to camp like that. Would be nice but............

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If the owners are not on site overnight, they should do at least one drive through after quiet time has started. I would fault the camp ground owner even more than the loud campers.

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

At least they played decent music ;)

11. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

Some people have no common courtesy...

A few years back on a pretty busy weekend, there was a group of campers a few sites down playing accoustic guitar and singing along; everything from Dave Matthews to accoustical versions of the classic rock. They were very talented. 30 minutes or so after quite time the rangers drove around and asked them to stop, and you could hear the "BOOOOO" from several different sites around the campground, who like myself was enjoying the relaxing music [:D]

12. russjbeck

russjbeck New Member

Usually the ones paying $2k are the ones that complain and keep it quiet. The ones paying $50 are the noise makers. When we went to the beach we stayed at an RV resort for two nights. They were the only campground (that had with pools, showers, mini-golf, hard stands) that would allow pop-ups. I thought we were gonna get kicked out one night because our kids were throwing hissy fits and being noisy before bedtime. We got some unkind looks the next morning. After 8pm it was quiet time there, and the whole place was people over 60.

13. wartemand

wartemand New Member

Being able to boondocks in National forest was requirement for pup I just purchased. Since that is what I like to do. However currently the noise problem I am having is with frogs.

14. dcbain

dcbain New Member

"currently the noise problem I am having is with frogs." Blasted freeloaders! Complain to the ranger!

15. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

The solution is to "wake" them up at 7am while you are doing the morning routine, such as building the fire to make breakfast, having the kids ride the big wheels on the road, etc. They get the message, then leave :)

Jerry in MA

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Throw a stench bomb on rude campers...

17. tacklebox

tacklebox New Member

I'm normally not one to call and complain about anything. Just take matters in my own hands. After being asked nicely, You could have went over and just unhooked their power or walk right into their camper and turned off the music yourself. Or as someone mentioned, be loud as hell making breakfast and wake them up.

18. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Sounds like a good way to start a fight... and you'd be in the wrong, if you invaded their camper, so you could be the one getting tossed out of the park...

19. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I think the best thing is just to seek out the guy who is getting paid to enforce the rules. Your there on vacation, you should not have to be confronting drunk obnoxious people in the dead of night.

Vin.

20. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

+1 Vin

If the first, courteous, "Hey would you mind keeping it down?" doesnt work, i'll let park staff deal with it. But i will always ask once first; only once.