Run,don't walk away....

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by jasf, Sep 16, 2011.

1. jasf

jasf New Member

from '02-'06 Ford Explorers! I'm a Ford guy through & through. Some might say I bleed blue,but Gen III Explorers are flat out junk! I've been buying Fords since 1985 & the '04 Explorer I bought in March with 50k is by far the worst vehicle I've ever owned! Wheel bearings,transmission, & new today the rear hatch has a crack in it. My blue blood got the best of me & I didn't do the research I should have. Got rid of a perfectly good F150 for this POS!

2. tsc

tsc Member

I know nothing about Exploders. But I belong (and haven't been active for years) to Ford Truck Enthusiasts. com and F-150 online.com. There was a wealth of info there.

Are these common problems or was the last owner just hard on that truck?

3. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

My 03 Ford Expidition is the same way it a POS.

4. gsocamper

gsocamper New Member

I had an 97 Explorer that the transmission went out at 60,000. I thought they had those fixed by now. Transmissions are a common problem with the Explorer. Other than that, (which was a big issue) it was a decent auto. I keep it for over 6 years. But, when it was time to change, I went with a Pathfinder. I was scared to get another Explorer. Of course, we still have the F150 for a tv.

5. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

had a 2005 I bought new and loved it until the tranny went out a 30k. It started at 17k so I got my money back via lemon law.

6. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Hmmm, I guess it's all in how one maintains a vehicle (oil changes, other regular maintenance, etc.). I have a 2002 Explorer and it's done quite well and now has more than 185,000 miles on it, including another 5,500 we put on last month towing our camper across Utah. Original transmission, doing well. I have had to replace some headlamps, brake shoes and oil and air filters along the way.

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever, and one of the wiper blades isn't doing it's job that well anymore, so maybe there will be a new TV in our future next year.

7. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I have a 79 F150 XLT that I still have and will keep it forever or pass it down to my oldest grandson. And I'm not a Ford guy, but love the '73-'79 trucks. Why? I dunno. But, reguardless of manufacturer any vehicle can be a lemon. I had a Honda civic 2000 ex and i'd swear it was possessed. Even the dealer couldn't fix it!!!!!

8. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

That's funny! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

But seriously, I did lots of research and there were many claims on the particular transmission that was in my Exploder (I had a 98 and loved that one too). This one would just act like I put it in neutral when accelerating on the on-ramp to a freeway! When it finally dropped 2nd & 3rd, they opened it up and said, hmm, maybe there is a problem (for the last 15,000 miles!).

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I had a 1998 Explorer and enjoyed it for many years. It was the two-door model, which they called the Sport (not the later SportTrack) so it had a shorter wheelbase than the regular Explorer. This was great for turning around on narrow logging roads (when not towing) and backing the PUP up because it was so responsive. However, the short wheelbase and short overhang on the back end made it contribute to sway. I had to put 13 gallons of water (around 110 pounds) as far forward in the Yuma as possible to increase tongue weight because of this.

I never had any trouble with the transmission. The 4.10 rear end allowed good torque for starting and pulling up hills but hurt the mileage. The 4.0L, 6-cylinder engine was adequate in most cases except very long, steep mountain grades like State 190 out of Death Valley up to US395 on the east side of the Sierras. I owned the vehicle from April 1998 to December 2010. Aside from normal maintenance and a few niggling things there was just one major repair expense. It cost me $3,000 to replace the FWD parts on the front axle and a lot of other front end stuff. That was in early 2005.

When I decided to get a pickup last year I was pretty sure it would be a Ford or a GMC. Dodge didn't really enter my mind. After going to the Seattle Auto Show and seeing the three of them close up and personal I was blown away by the RAM's features and advantages. After test driving all of them there was no contest IMO. I went with the RAM.

10. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I second the FTE forum TSC mentioned. I've not spent much time there since trading my old F150, but the help I received there enabled this Chevy guy to get his Ford running and keep it that way.

11. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

agreed.... Fords to me are just bad luck. Doesn't matter if I am driving, someone else is driving or I am in traffic around them, it just seems they all have it out for me.

This is what happened to the last Ford we owned (for 5 days until this happened):

[​IMG]

The truck that pulled across our lanes causing this accident (while we were doing 60mph) was a 96 Ford Ranger...

Also had another ford in my late teens/early 20s that was nothing but problems (1960 F250). Only thing to fix this one was a total and complete rebuild from the ground up.

[​IMG]

12. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Over the years I've run all three ... Chrysler products, Ford, General Motors (to list them alphabetically), and with all three it is amazing how they can go from a seemingly indestructible, trouble free vehicle, to another model change and be the worst junk ever assembled ANYWHERE! Who was it that coined that phrase "planned obsolescence"(?)

13. jasf

jasf New Member

Maintenance has nothing to do with problems these have. I had all of the records when I bought this one. Probably why I never researched it much. Wheel bearings are not a regular maint. item & they should last more than 50K. Tranny,mine was replaced @ 32K & now failing again 20K later. You can't even check the fluid. That was a great idea to not include a dipstick!! The crack in the rear hatch has over 30,000 registered complaints & those are just the people that bothered to call & sit on neverending hold to register it. Another problem I found now is rear caliper bolts backing out & shearing off. Yep happened to me & I thought it was a fluke. I'd go out & ck them now if I were you. Ford has known about these issues since '03 & chose to keep building the same vehicle into '05! Now they won't even help the suckers that own them.

14. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

You stated wheel bearings.....I have a GM product and have replaced all 4 wheel bearings ($1000 in parts).....I also work at a NAPA store.....wheel bearings just fly out of there to the repair shops......What happened to the repackable wheel bearings on cars/trucks?

15. jasf

jasf New Member

Amen brother,amen! We can't fix or prevent failures anymore. Just wait for it to fail & replace.

16. screwballl

Remember, 90% of Fords are still on the road today... the other 10% made it home!

17. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I have to disagree. I don't see how my Explorer would still be running so well at over 185,000 miles of hard use if I hadn't been diligent about changing oil and transmission fluid and doing other routine maintenance.

18. screwballl

This is the nature of ANY complicated manufactured items these days regardless if it is a boat, car, truck, camper, computer or camera. Some end up with small flaws that cause problems their whole lives, others happen to fit perfectly and last 500,000 miles. It is just the luck of the draw of which you get.

It just happens that this generation of Exploders tends to have a poor long term reliability record because of poor manufacturing standards from the late 70s to early 2000s with these vehicles... so if you do happen to get more than 50,000 miles without problems then you are lucky, over 100K and VERY lucky.

Why do you think Ford people keep buying new ones? because their old ones continue to break down on them, thats why they are the best selling vehicle, because people are stupid enough to keep buying their junk.

Not me! Luckily the early to mid 2000s Chryslers like what I have tended to be minor flaws that were easily repaired (exhaust manifold bolt, premature wear on rotors, buggy sensors).

19. jasf

jasf New Member

Hey,Hey...easy there! :) I love my Fords. Had very minor problems with any Ford until this Explorer. Wife did have a Grand Caravan that puked at tranny @ 12K. Hmm Maintenance......right. I don't want to start a brand war here,just alert potential buyers of the issues.

20. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Every manufacturer comes out with the odd dud. Manufacturers are constantly trying to stay competitive both price and feature wise, and it doesn't always work out. That doesn't mean every single vehicle of that type will be a lemon, it depends on many things, including usage, and even luck.

I bought a 1997 Intrepid. Yes that vehicle had some issues, especially in earlier years. I figured last year before the model change they had fixed many of them. I also bought an off lease vehicle, had been company owned and serviced meticulously, exactly to schedule.

It was the biggest lemon I've ever owned, and I owned a Hyundai Pony. I paid more in repairs in 4 years than I paid for the car. Transmission went, and was going again before I sold it. AC, motor mounts, valve springs, vaccum leaks, both computers went, went through more wire sets than I could count. You'd think I had a whole new vehicle.

There are objective books out there that try to gauge the reliability, like Lemon Aid by Phil Edmonston. He looks at all kinds of data sources.