Running lights not working

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by bluespruce, Jun 7, 2020.

1. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Our NTU PUP has 5 red running lights on the roof in the back and 2 orange ones on the front. I didn’t notice they werent working when I bought it as it was daytime and the brakes and turn lights worked so we took off.

As we were cleaning and fixing little things I noticed that the green wire was broken right by the lift post. It was on my list and I finally got around to splicing it back together. (With a little piece of red wire as that is all I had in the same gauge. But, when I checked to see if they work I got nothing. I did not lower the roof to check it.

Would the running lights on the roof be tied to the kill switch at all?

I chased wires around and did not see any more broken wire but, I did notice that the white wire sheathing was nicked and the bracket on the roof looks like it came in contact with the bare wire. (See picture) this is the exact same spot the green wire was broken. Maybe it was pinched and fried something else?

any ideas what to check next? The front orange lights do not work either.

Attached Files:

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The running lights are only powered by the tow vehicle. The kill switch has nothing to do with it.
    You do have lights on roof (many campers do not, only on the body) so I would look at any wires that go to the roof.
    I would pull one of the roof lights and see what color the wires are that are connected to the lights. Maybe easier to trace wires if you what color wires you are looking for.

3. McSkippy

McSkippy Member

You didn't say if your tail lights work, just stop/turn. It sounds like the problem may with the tow vehicle or at the plug.

4. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

thanks. I can see the wires running from light to light as they are behind the fabric valence. I’m wondering if maybe the arcing caused the light bulbs to burn out? I’ll check them when I get a chance.

if they are powered by the TV is there normally a fuse or anything that could be blown?

5. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

The running lights on the tail lights do work. Although the drivers side is a little fussy and seems to have a connection issue. My truck alerted me to a possible short on drivers side on the trailer the last time I was towing. When I move the bulb around it flickers. It surprised me my truck would alert me that it wasn’t working.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

7. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

Can you get your hands on a basic multimeter?
    A cheap multimeter from HF can go for like under $15
    Then you can check that wire that you spliced. If you don't have 12Vdc there then that is your problem.
    Do you think the White wire right next to it is ground to those lights? Make sure to check that.
    You could even just try running a jumper from the positive side of the battery to that wire you spliced and see if the lights turn on.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

bluespruce, the vehicle knows when there is current on the left or right trailer brake, running lights don't have a left and right!

I'd be pulling the left tail light and get that fixed, you may find the running lights daisy chained on the back of the left light, good place to check for power and good 'ground' up to the running lights. If not there find where the roof ceiling lights get power from below and test.