Rustic setting campground yet with modern hookups in GA area?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by denemante, Apr 16, 2012.

1. denemante

denemante New Member

Hey all - I'm a lifelong tent and backpacker. But with 3 kids now and a wife who doesn't like tents - I'm now a happy PUP owner. It's the best of both worlds.
    Growing up, my family always camped at more mainstream campgrounds in tents - places with pools, arcades, activities and some local attractions nearby. I loved it - still do - and my own family will probably look in this direction. My wife has a little city-girl in her - but she's 100% happy as long as things are fairly clean.

Woodalls seems to be a pretty good review resource. However - I'd like to find a quality campground with all the amenities - yet in a rustic setting. I already know of about 10 rustic places to camp within earshot of a waterfall. But they are remote locations in wilderness and without any utilities.

So does anyone know of, or is there a classification for - a more "rustic" setting campground with a more "in the heart of nature" feel but with more modern amenities?

I picture sites very wooded and spaced out - perhaps just where nature allows for them. This is vs. an RV parking lot with a few trees around.

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

most STATE campgrounds or COE places are just the woods, nature, and basic amenities

3. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We loved Raysville (near Augusta) for the size of the sites and the woods/privacy offered. It's rather passive for concessions, but for hiking and water sports, it's very nice.

4. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have a hard time finding something like this......at least with "all" of the amenities. I've seen some nice places, mostly state parks, that are more rustic environment and offer hookups, but not really all the other stuff....maybe a playground, etc but no pools and arcades. Even with that said, most hookup sites I've seen, even in these type of CGs tend to be closer together and have less in the way of buffering from neighboring sites. It has been my experience that if you want to be more spread out from your neighbors and have a little more privacy, your only real option is "dry" site.

In RE to pools, arcades, restaurants on site, etc.....you're primarily going to find these types of amenities at private CGs....some mom and pops, but predominately coorporate owned/franchise type entities. That type of large scale developement just doesn't realistically translate to also having a rustic feel to the place....it's virtually imposible to combine the two, particularly when you're talking bottom line first and foremost. It has to be understood that any private CGs primary motive is profit, and increasing the margin of profit. For this reason, it is of little to no benefit for a private CG, particularly a large coorporate one, to have sites more spread out; those trees are just taking up prime real estate where they could have another two sites @ $40-$50 a pop. To make up the difference in profit margin, they would have to double or triple the cost of a single site, which would most likely price them out of the market.

I think there are some out there who have attempted to make things feel as rustic as possible (a few Jellystones I've seen come to mine)....but ultimately, IMO, it generally feels manufactured....because it is. Sites are still too close together for my tastes and just too many people. You may find some nice mom and pop types, but they probably won't have "all" the amenities.

Like I said, it's virtually impossible to have that kind of mass development take place and to, at the same time, maintain a lot of what is just natural. Most often, the entire place is pretty much cleared out and they simply plant what they want/need at a later time. Conversely, most forest service CGs and the like disturb as little as possible when they're developing a CG...which tend to be smaller and more rustic, and there is no profit motive.

5. MikeCav

MikeCav New Member

I have camped at Crooked River State Park in St. Mary's GA for 5 years in a row - everything you need!

6. denemante

denemante New Member

Any blue crabbing or bank/canoe fishing for saltwater species there?

7. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Desoto SP just over the line in Mentone,AL has fairly spread out sites on one older loop, and a nice pool and good restaurant. Oconee SP and Table Rock SP in upstate SC are '30s CCC built parks with wooded sites with very good well maintained park lake swimming areas (sandy bottoms, high dives), and while the restaurant at Oconee is no more, Table rock still has an excellent restaurant. All three are near waterfalls, and other stuff to do fairly close.

8. jackcamper

jackcamper Hello fellow campers!

Try AH Stephens in Crawfordvile, GA. It is about 45 min out of Augusta off of I-20. They have 60' sites, a nice lake to go fishing and an excellent BBQ named Heavies 5 minutes. The park is maintained nice and it is very rustic. You will not be disappointed!

9. papachaz

papachaz New Member

in the same area as AH Stephens is Hard Labor Creek SP. nice campground, two lakes for fishing and a beach area, really nice campsites. several of the state parks here are gonna suit your needs. go here to check them all out:http://www.gastateparks.org/parks/

I HIGHLY recommend joing Friends of GA State Parks if you're going to camp at a state park at least twice, it pays for itself! we did the family membership!

10. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Have to agree with PapaChaz on the Friends of Georgia State Parks membership!! We bought one for $10 - good for a year - and have saved more than the cost by far. It also helps support some of the park programs, which is always a nice thing to do!

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Guess I'll have to revise my statement and go check out some state parks in GA someday.....never seen a state park with a pool or anything. All of them around here are pretty much optional hookups and playgrounds for kids, but that's about it as far as entertainment/amenities go. I think we have a couple state parks that have an on site restaurant (actually, only Elephant Butte comes to mind and I got really sick there [:(O] ).

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

One of two or 3 great campgrounds is found at Myrtle Beach, SC: Pirateland that has just about everything: waterpark, puttputt, and beach... Although it ll take 4 or 5 hours of driving from GA but it is worth it....

13. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

I would second the Hard Labor Creek SP but disagree with AH Stephens as a place that would fit what you are looking for. We found the cg to be nice, but the trees were tall, and thus, the sites weren't too private.

We haven't found a park like the one you are looking for ... some others that we've really liked are FDR, Cloudland Canyon, Tallulah Gorge, and Tugaloo. We are still hunting for our favorite park, though.

High Falls was a misnomer, and we'd not go there if we were in a drought like we are now.

We are always looking for families to meet up with at a cg, too, as we don't know that many people who camp.

14. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

At George L. Smith State Park you can have your canoes and kayaks right on your site and hop in for a ride whenever you'd like. You can also fish from your site too, as long as your line doesn't get caught on anything. The cypress and tupelos are pretty thick.