rusty frame opinions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by AAAUGIE, May 2, 2018.

1. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

hi i recently bought a 1990 jayco pop up. among other things i need to fix it has a very rusty frame, not structural just surface rust. i will probably wire brush the tongue and rear bumper down close or to bare metal and repaint. but not sure about under the trailer. i was thinking maybe wire brush off the loose rust and use a product like stop rust or naval jelly(stuff that looks kind of like milk and turns black when dry) then paint over that. anyone here think thats a good/bad idea or have another great idea that i have not thought of. i would love to here some opinions on this since im not about to remove the frame and do a pro job.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Rust convertors never ready worked for me. I have cars that are 50 years old. The product I use is POR15 makes the frames super nice. Can be a little tricky to work with. Does not come off your hands (wear gloves), you have to use the can up after opening, if the painted parts are in direct sunlight a top coat will be needed. The other way is after wire brushing, even PRO15 will need loose rust removed, wash the metal with a "deglosser", this gives a little etch to the metal. I would then use Rustoleum Professional spray paint (tall can) dries in 15 minutes. Or if you plan is to brush the paint on, Rustoleum (oil based) paint, never use a paint for everything like 2X or Kralon. Cut the Rustoleum 50 % with mineral spirits and do a first coat. The Rustoleum in a can is very thick, the thinned paint will get everywear better. A second coat of full strength will last of years and years.

3. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

thanks for confirming my thoughts on the rust converter, used it once and rust bled through later. i like the rustolium idea.ill probably go that route.i'v just never had this problem on my old cars because there usually pretty well preserved with oil tranny fluid etc. i cant even tell what color paint was on this thing before.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I will second Raycfe's POR15 recommendation. It works like bedliner paint. It almost liquid plastic.

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The stop rust products work but they don't seal the metal and moister will get in and rust. If you paint over the rust stop it will be the same as POR15

6. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

looks like the POR15 is the way to go. looks like 1 quart may do the whole project.i guess its time to go paint shopping, thanks for the input guys.

jnc likes this.