RV dealers!

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Camp365, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Camp365

Camp365 New Member

Today I went to look at new Rockwood pop ups. I asked if they took trade in's . I have a 2017 palomino that had tree damage. It was repaired by me, and it was put back together BETTER and much stronger than it originally was from Forest River. The dealer said they weren't Interested in my trade in because people wouldn't buy a repaired RV. EVEN if it was inspected AND the inspector said it would survive a tree landing on it NOW as opposed to the way the factory assembled it. Foam board sandwiched between fiberglass. Maybe my thinking is different? But seeing how cheap crap is assembled I'd be more apt to buy a fortified repaired rig. The dealer said everyone wants new and no one wants used. They wouldn't be able to sell it. Ultimately the dealer would have given me pennies for a trade, and if I was to sell private I could at least show the work I've put Into it, to the people that look at it. Thoughts? Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I am with the dealer.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. Camp365

Camp365 New Member

I can see both sides, but I've seen dealers try to sell old water damaged junk with no issue.....so?

4. xxxapache

It sounds like this dealer doesn't want to sell questionable used units.

5. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I can understand a dealer not wanting a lot of trade ins.

6. Camp365

Camp365 New Member

Ok, in this state if an RV is damaged like mine was it has to be inspected by an inspection station. It passed with flying colors. I don't know quite where this conversation is going. So I'll end it on this note. A completely rebuilt and inspected almost new RV, compared to a moldy decade old one that smells bad. I'd take the rebuilt one.

7. Camp365

Camp365 New Member

Yeah they don't make tons of $$$ on used.

8. xxxapache

People are saying used private sales are strong now. Why not list it and sell it on your own? That way, you can explain the superior repair you made to the shopper.

neighbormike, kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Its a lost cause trying to get a dealer to buy a used popup that's repaired with white duct tape.
    If they can't make good money on it, then it won't be worth their time.
    Somehow they have to feed their family.
    Try to sell it online, craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc. See what happens there.

Sjm9911 and xxxapache like this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what your concern is.

You'll get a far better price selling it on your own - regardless of condition, quality of repair work, etc.

Why go look at new campers and ask about trading in your old one if you've put all that effort into repairing it to a higher standard? It's only 3 years old - lots of life left in it.

Since you know the quality of new campers is lacking, why bother looking at them? Why not find a used camper that has been rebuilt properly? Why not buy a fixer upper and repair it to your standards?

If it required an inspection after the repair, then I'm guessing it was totalled. Regardless of the repairs done, people aren't going to buy a salvaged camper from a dealer. Salvaged campers aren't worth the money for a dealer to try to sell. That salvage title hurts the bottom line a lot. And the dealer is most likely required by law to divulge the salvage title.

There really is no surprise at the dealer's attitude. If you want to buy a new camper, sell this one on your own. You'll get a better price for it regardless of title.

It's also possible the dealer didn't think you were serious about buying so wasn't going to bother discussing trade in calculations.

11. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I fully understand the dealer not wanting the trade, but I have no idea what he's saying about people not wanting used campers...I think he just made that up as an excuse.

I agree with Toedtoes above. Sell it yourself. I bought a brand new hybrid this year and sold my 2004 pup in 1 day to the 1st person that saw it for more than I bought it for (which was over double what the dealer offered)...and had 15 others wanting to come see it it it fell through with the 1st guy. Selling a camper right now is easy. Might be a bit more difficult with a salvaged title, but idk. Either way you should get more than what a dealer would offer.

And why do you want to sell it anyway?

Ductape likes this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Most dealers are not big on selling pups, so a used unit is even further down on their list of desired trade ins, let alone one with obvious tree damage and a roll of eternabond tape over it. Unless the repair was done in such a way that there was no evidence at all of an impact they won’t give you top dollar.

You would have much better luck selling privately. Keep in mind though the market is hot, so while you might make a decent sale a new one will also be priced higher.

best of luck!

kcsa75 and xxxapache like this.
  13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Me, myself, if a trailer has any sort of large repair job done from damage like a tree falling on it, I'd pass..only way I would buy it would be if I got it real cheap, and I mean real cheap as in if the repair job was poor, I could at least part the trailer out and not loose any $$ on the deal.. I'd offer no more then a couple hundred bucks..

xxxapache likes this.
  14. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If I were looking to get the best for my old unit, I’d plan on selling it myself. In my experience, dealers of cars, RV’s, boats and so on are going to minimize their offer on your unit and try to maximize their profit margin. Around here RV dealers are only interested in almost brand new or high end make and model trades.

That said, the consignment lots around here seem to have RV’s of various flavors on hand fairly regularly. If you’re not interested in going through the Craigslist, FB, classified ad hassle, and IMO it’s a hassle, this may be an option to consider.

Good luck...

15. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Camp365, why do you want to sell a perfectly good 3-year-old camper? You never said. Personally, all repairs I make on my 1999 pop up need to look if not good, at least not an eyesore. A thin sheet of aluminum properly adhered to that tape and blended at the edges (Dicor or other), would look much better, IMHO. Let us know how your sale goes.

16. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Camp365, in your post from a month ago detailing the great repairs you did on the bargain of the year in pop-ups.
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads/got-new-pop-up-for-pennies.130633/#post-1357856
    You did not say if this is the same dealer you bought the totaled trailer from or not.

You did an incredible job putting it back together and ever bit camp ready, but kinda lacks curb appeal that would get top dollar. Given how it is a seller's market, I would be surprised that if you price it right it doesn't sell quickly. But that window might be closing.

On a side note, why not stick with the one you rebuilt? You did such great work on it and it is basically new.

17. Camp365

Camp365 New Member

Hi everyone, thanks for the criticism and support. I don't plan on selling it. I am interested in getting a more off road popup for remote trips. I would be paying for the new unit out right so I don't think the dealer had a question of my ability to pay. I bought the damaged one for a song and it gave me something to tinker with. I fell just as confident with the " white duct tape" version than with the new one in a trip. And to answer the curb appeal question I'm covering the roof with an aluminum shell she'll so no more fiberglass issues. The picture I sent was just after the original " keep the rain out" repair. I used to repair RVs at a campground years ago and had forgotten how particular RV owners are.

18. Camp365

Camp365 New Member

Thank you!

Blackripley likes this.
  19. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I suspect the dealer is commenting on their clientele. I would not buy a new camper, WAY too much depreciation. But I wouldn't buy a used camper from a dealer either.

Not quite sure what you're asking though. You'll be able to sell your old camper privately pretty easily. For way more than the dealer would ever have given you. Not sure why you're selling a 3 year old camper already, but I suspect you have your reasons.

EDIT: OK I just looked at your picture. I'm not sure I'd buy your camper either. That's not a repair, that's a band aid.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Are they the same price. If you are selling yours for the same price as a decade old moldy smelly popup, I might be interested.