RV dealers!

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Camp365, Aug 7, 2020.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

You’ll get more $$ in a private sale.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Some dealers don't want to bother with used popups, not enough money in them. They can get more commission selling a new popup than used. One dealer I talked to said they accept trade in, but they immediately ship them out to another dealer to deal with.
    Mom had a popup that was in absolutely surpurb shape garage kept, but it was old. When she tried to trade it in they only offered her $100. If she sold it directly she would have gotten way more money for it. Pretty sad but a lot of dealers hate popups and even more, hate used popups.

3. Camp365

Camp365 New Member

4. Camp365

Camp365 New Member

Repair done before I purchased to keep the rain out.......I remember typing that.......

5. Camp365

Camp365 New Member

The
    Moldy old Viking they were selling was a 1997 and they wanted $5000 have at it.

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure what the problem is. If you aren't planning on selling it then why bother asking about a trade in? And why get put out when they didn't want it? It sounds like maybe you wanted the dealer to be swayed and/or impressed by your repair job. That, I think, was your mistake. Dealers don't care about what you've done to a trade in. All they care about is the bottom line - can they sell it for a profit. The dealer obviously didn't think he could so he wasn't interested in taking it off your hands. It is no reflection of your work.

As for RV owners being particular, I don't think they are any more particular than any other vehicle owners. You showed a photo of a camper with a "duct tape repair" to the roof and people were put off by it. Had you shown a photo of a car or motorcycle or boat or atv with a "duct tape repair", people would have been put off also - especially if you mentioned what a great repair job you did.

Show a photo of the finished repair job (if the photo was the "stop the leaking fix", then you've done more work on it) and perhaps you'll get better responses.

xxxapache likes this.
  7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

The OP did show the repair, check out the first post.

It may well hold out the rain just fine, but it's not pretty, and looks like someone put some duct tape over a hole. I'm not trying to be mean, but if i saw that when buying a pup I'd never make the purchase. How do I know how well it will hold up (short or long term), and how do I know the camper didn't sit like that for months first? Leaks on a camper are like cancer. To be proud of that repair, i'd expect you to have used something to blend it into the roof so it's not noticeable when looking at a pic without really looking at it.

I'm also curious about the comments about it being inspected and passing. I don't know what state this is, but I don't know of any cases in my state where anyone would care about your camper leaking or not. Any inspections required would be for roadworthiness, not ability to camp, or long-term survival of the camper.

Toedtoes and xxxapache like this.
  8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

A decade = 10 years , a 1997 is 2 plus decades old. I think that you should have no problem getting $5000 for a repaired 2017 camper. I would buy that.

Toedtoes likes this.
  9. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Nobody is going to pay $5000 for a 1997 popup, moldy or pristine, unless there are gold bars stored in the fridge. Perhaps they use that as a sales tool, so when people come in they can say "well you could buy this old one for $5000, but for only $300 a month we can get you in this shiny new travel trailer..."

The roof repair as pictured would be worth $1000-1500 off the normal selling price in my mind. I don't know what these sell for in perfect condition... if it's $6000-6500 then yes I think $5000 would be fair.

10. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

The aluminum will be nice, panted, or brushed? Since you did all that work can you retrofit this pop-up into more of an off-roader? Pop-us are easy to raise and add bigger wheels to. Would it need more frame bracing, and new latches?

11. Toedtoes

I took from his additional posts that the photo was earlier than his final repair and that it looks better than that now. But I could be wrong.

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

From his orignal thread on the trailer, I was under the impression his final repairs were the tape on the outside and the 2 x 4s across the inside.

13. Toedtoes

I got that from his original post too, but then he said that the photo was his "stop the rain" measure before he did all the work. Reading back, I'm still confused as to what photo he is referring.

14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You would think he would post his after repair photos if he did more.

Toedtoes and tfischer like this.