RV Extension Cord Vs Regular Extension Cord

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by malsrule00, Sep 25, 2011.

1. malsrule00

malsrule00 New Member

I won't get to take my NTU PUP out until next spring...but I am trying to get all of my stuff. Could someone explain why I might need and extension cord and what the difference is between and RV and regular extension cord?

2. marcham

marcham New Member

How long is the cord that comes out of your RV and is it long enough to reach an outlet at your house? Most campgrounds that have power will have it in a convenient spot so an extension is usually not required. Once you use and extension, you can't draw more than 15Amps, unless you splurge and get an RV 30 Amp extension (which few people have).

3. malsrule00

malsrule00 New Member

I actually haven't pulled the cord out all the way....I need find out. Thanks for the info...I understand now what the difference is...

4. 1madscot

1madscot Member

As Marcham was pointing out, the biggest difference between household extension cords and RV power cords is the amperage they are rated for. Most household extension cords are lighter duty, only rated for 12 amps or less. Some are higher rated, to 15 amps, but they cost more than the standard cord (usually around the $40 to $50 range, sometimes less, especially at Harbor Freight). You'll want to be careful if you do need to double up cords to get to your pup. If you use a cord rated only to 12 amps and your camper is pulling 15 amps, the lighter duty cord will pay the price, heating up, melting, risking fire, earthquakes, locusts (you get the idea). Just to add to it, some (though not many) campers pull as much as 30 amps. These cords will not plug into a standard outlet, so you'll know right away if you have one of these.

5. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

we ran into "needing" a 30amp extension cord this past summer. the campground we were at, the power poles were on the opposite sides of the sites.......huh ?

yes, the power pole was on the opposite side. there was a pole right next to our camper, but that was for the site next to us. WHY would you design a sight like that ?

apparently this part of the campground used to be tent only, water on one side of the site, power on the other. it made no sense to me but hey, what do I know.

So, instead of plugging into the power pole right next to the camper, I had to run the cord across the back of the site, and I was about 10ft too short. " Oh, you need 30amp extension cord......" to which I asked, ..."and where would one find such an item ?"

" Oh, we sell them at the campground store.....for $68..... "

"Um, well I tell a what, we'll either plug into the pole on this unoccupied site next too us, or you can refund our $$$ and we'll head on down the road... "

" Oh, I have an extension cord I'll loan you.....just don't tell anyone...."

Uh huh...

SO, I haven't made or bought a 30amp extension yet ( I will soon ) but I do carry a 15amp (12ga) and 20amp (10ga) 50ft cords 20amp is used only on the AC, plugs directly into the AC outlet on the roof, has one blade turned 90°. I use this mostly at home to run the AC in the driveway when needed and have a specific outlet just for this purpose.

I don't trust the house basic wiring to be able to carry the load on a 15amp circuit with anything more than basic camper functions

6. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Like Bikvoodoo said sometimes the power is in an odd place.

When we bought our first pup, the guy at the dealership recommended we get a 30 Amp extension. Is rationale in addition to the power being in an odd place is that you may want to move your pup into an odd place [e.g. turn it 90 degrees for privacy, move it further into the site for some shade. He also recommended that we by a second 25 foot potable water hose for the same reason.

In four years we used the power extension once, at a VA State Park where they put the power posts close to the road rather at the back of the site pad. On the other hand not only do I use the extra 25 foot length from time to time, but I bought 50 feet more so we can flush and fill our water system by hose rather than lugging Jerry cans.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Last year, we ended up using the extension cord to reach a more remote power source, and for a separate cord for the electric heater on our Thanksgiving trip.
    In one KOA, the box was at a "kabin" on the next loop, some helpful campers were helping me park (it was at the end of a long day and a tight fit), were regulars at that campground and so spotted the my problem and moved me to another spot with a more reachable power box.
    In another campground, the power column was straight out from the pup, but on the opposite side from the cord; we had to go around a huge tree, too.

The new Cobalt has a longer power cord, but misses plugging into our garage by just a few feet, so we're glad we have the RV extension cord. [We have no a/c, so don't have to worry about that load.]

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The common orange home use cords are 12 gauge wire designed to handle up to a 20 amp load where as the RV cords are 10 gauge wire designed to handle a 30 amp load. The RV cord has cord ends that will safely handle 30 AMP'S. And the 2 will not plug together, with an adaptor

9. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Actually many of the orange home use cords are 14 gauge and can only safely handle 15 Amps. Also, the 30 amp cord can plug into either a 20 or 15 amp cord with an adaptor.

10. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

I've camped a lot and have wound up using my 30 amp cord at least twice a year. Walmart has them cheaper than most places. That's where I got mine. Saves a lot of hassles and no worries about overloading the cord risking a fire hazard.

11. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I have one also from Walmart I think $45.00. The reason I have one is when I first bought the camper I went to pull out the cord and it only came out about eight feet, so off I went to buy one. On about the fourth or fifth camping trip all of a sudden when I went to pull the cord out it's eight or so foot length it all of a sudden kept coming to about twenty five feet I'd guess, it had been hung up inside and suddenly came free. But it's still good to have and although I haven't used it since it stays in the camper just in case. In fact up at Lake Umbagog I loaned it to a neighbor whose pole was on the wrong side of the site.

12. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

I needed mine 3 times this year. It would make a nice Christmas present and it's a gift that keeps on giving.

13. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

I'm actually adding another to my collection - courtesy of the Parts PUP. take the cord off the shot converter, add a female plug for $14, and voila! Now I'm set and so will any neighbor who needs one! :)

14. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

Also another thing worth mentioning, many of the "flat" style extension cords are not UV resistant, or in rain/weather they will break down after a year or two. Most of the orange ones do have the UV and tend to last much longer. Also it depends on the cord itself. Go to any hardware store and just look at the various cords. You can have 2 of them, side by side, same length, same color and one will be 10A, the other will be 15A, or 20A, or whatever.

If you buy one, make sure it has the same standard plug ends and rated for 20A.